Public referenda? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:42:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public referenda? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Public referenda?  (Read 2056 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: March 23, 2009, 12:14:07 PM »

Referenda as such are always a bad idea. They present a false dichotomy needlessly. The ability of the population, hopefully organized into a Lower House, to deliberate on legislation is something else entirely. But a straight up-or-down vote by the public on anything will meet with my opposition.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 09:20:09 AM »

But a straight up-or-down vote by the public on anything will meet with my opposition.

Why not only if the Senate vote is 5-5 or 6-4?

That's possibly the stupidest proposal I've heard at the Convention.

Look, the point of referenda is not to actually obey the will of the people. It's to foment populist outrage on subjects the populous doesn't understand or care to try to understand. Now, Atlasia has a slightly higher level of understanding than most countries, but referenda are still absurd false dichotomies, and there has never been serious debate over a referndum, nor is there the ability to modify a referendum to meet with certain objectiosn as there must be in any sane legislative process.

In short, referenda are an incredibly bad idea. There is absolutely no reason why we should even consider implementing them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies