Rules of Order
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:01:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Rules of Order
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rules of Order  (Read 10880 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:36:17 AM »
« edited: March 26, 2009, 11:41:57 PM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

The following is the current Rules of Order of the Convention

1. The presiding officer shall bring all resolutions and motions to a vote in a timely manner after they are introduced. Said vote shall last for precisely 48 hours. A simple majority shall be needed to pass all motions and resolutions.
2. The presiding officer shall have discretion in determining the format and procedure of the Convention.
3. All official votes must be initiated by the presiding officer. Any resolution proposed by a delegate and seconded by two other delegates shall be brought to a vote by the presiding officer.
4. The presiding officer may appoint a temporary substitute to fulfill his obligations in the event that he or she will not be available. The substitute must be approved by half of all delegates in a confidence vote and shall be able to sit for no longer than 72 hours. In the event that the presiding officer is inactive for a period of 72 hours or greater with no advance warning, the delegates may elect an acting officer to conduct official business until the return of the presiding officer. This election shall be treated as a normal motion of order and may be initiated by any delegate.
5. Changes to these Rules shall be passed as a resolution, and shall be passed by receiving the support of a simple majority.
6. In the event that a delegate is considered inactive by his peers, a vote of no confidence shall be held. If the vote receives 75% in favor that delegate shall be promptly replaced by the Governor of that delegate's respective region.
7. All elections and votes required by this law shall require the participation of 50% of all delegates, as determined by the sign in thread, at the start of the election or vote to be valid, unless otherwise stated.
8. This Convention shall only conclude upon passage of a motion for conclusion of debate with a three-fourths vote of approval. This motion shall require the vote of all delegates, as determined by the sign in thread, at the start of the vote to be valid. Any delegate that refuses to vote on this motion within two weeks of the start of the vote shall be considered a vote in favor of the motion, unless outside circumstances prevented a vote in the allotted time.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »

This procedure is acceptable to me.

I think that it would be preferable (in point three) for it to be seconded by one other member, rather than two - as a mover and a seconder would still make up 10% of the Convention. That said, if someone can't find two people to second their motion, there's no way it's going to get passed anyway, so changing it from two seconders to one would make no real difference.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »

This procedure is acceptable to me.

I think that it would be preferable (in point three) for it to be seconded by one other member, rather than two - as a mover and a seconder would still make up 10% of the Convention. That said, if someone can't find two people to second their motion, there's no way it's going to get passed anyway, so changing it from two seconders to one would make no real difference.

I just want to make sure I don't have to keep bringing matters to the floor for a vote over and over because one side just won't give it up. Granted the 3 people needed to force it through is not much more than 2, but it's something in such a small group. It would ensure that 10% of the delegates agree with that one person. I was thinking of upping it but at that point I might as well call a vote.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »

I'd like to add this:

The convention will only close when closure is agreed upon by 3/4 of the delegates
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »

I'd like to add this:

The convention will only close when closure is agreed upon by 3/4 of the delegates

I agree. Though I have a horrible feeling we might loose a few delegates along the way Grin Either a 3/4ths or 2/3rds majority.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »

I've made the edit as a seventh clause. Basically, it is running off of the voting rolls and makes sure that there are no devious fiends who try to stop passage of the new Constitution by just not voting to close debate.

I am also considering a clause to make sure we can only call a motion for conclusion of debate after a full constitution has been approved, but I think that's a given.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:55:44 PM »

I agree that only one second should be required.

Do we need some procedure in the event an unexpected absence occurs for the PO. Such as

If the Presiding Officer does not access the forum for 48 hours unannounced, the delegates shall elect and acting PO until his return.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:02:29 PM »

Do we need some procedure in the event an unexpected absence occurs for the PO. Such as

If the Presiding Officer does not access the forum for 48 hours unannounced, the delegates shall elect and acting PO until his return.

You guys can't go 48 hours? I'll throw something in. Wink
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

I'm not too worried whether it's 48 or 72 or whatever. But we have had people have real life things unexpectedly happen keeping them away from the forum unannounced for an extended period of time.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:29:31 PM »

I'm not too worried whether it's 48 or 72 or whatever. But we have had people have real life things unexpectedly happen keeping them away from the forum unannounced for an extended period of time.

No I know. Just teasing. Already added it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »

I'd like to add this:

I agree. Though I have a horrible feeling we might loose a few delegates along the way

We should have a procedure to ask governors to name a new delegate if one is too inactive.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 11:44:44 PM »

I'd like to add this:

I agree. Though I have a horrible feeling we might loose a few delegates along the way

We should have a procedure to ask governors to name a new delegate if one is too inactive.

Perhaps if 75% of the Convention votes (ie, 15 delegates) in favour of the Governor of a region appointing a new delegate to replace an inactive one. That way we don't have to clearly define "inactivity" - we can simply leave it in the hands of the delegates because it unlikely 75% of delegates will agree if it's anything near being a controversial decision.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »

I call the following Rules of Order to a vote by the delegates. The vote will last for 48 hours. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the following:

1. The presiding officer shall bring all resolutions and motions to a vote in a timely manner after they are introduced. Said vote shall last for precisely 48 hours. A simple majority shall be needed to pass all motions and resolutions.
2. The presiding officer shall have discretion in determining the format and procedure of the Convention.
3. All official votes must be initiated by the presiding officer. Any resolution proposed by a delegate and seconded by two other delegates shall be brought to a vote by the presiding officer.
4. The presiding officer may appoint a temporary substitute to fulfill his obligations in the event that he or she will not be available. The substitute must be approved by half of all delegates in a confidence vote and shall be able to sit for no longer than 72 hours. In the event that the presiding officer is inactive for a period of 72 hours or greater with no advance warning, the delegates may elect an acting officer to conduct official business until the return of the presiding officer. This election shall be treated as a normal motion of order and may be initiated by any delegate.
5. Changes to these Rules shall be passed as a resolution, and shall be passed by receiving the support of a simple majority.
6. In the event that a delegate is considered inactive by his peers, a vote of no confidence shall be held. If the vote receives 75% in favor that delegate shall be promptly replaced by the Governor of that delegate's respective region.
7. All elections and votes required by this law shall require the participation of 50% of all delegates, as determined by the sign in thread, at the start of the election or vote to be valid, unless otherwise stated.
8. This Convention shall only conclude upon passage of a motion for conclusion of debate with a three-fourths vote of approval. This motion shall require the vote of all delegates, as determined by the sign in thread, at the start of the vote to be valid. Any delegate that refuses to vote on this motion within two weeks of the start of the vote shall be considered a vote in favor of the motion, unless outside circumstances prevented a vote in the allotted time.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 11:16:30 AM »

Aye
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 11:24:57 AM »

Aye