Government Proposal Debate (Closed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:47:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Government Proposal Debate (Closed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Government Proposal Debate (Closed)  (Read 4455 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: March 24, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »
« edited: March 24, 2009, 11:30:42 PM by AG Marokai Blue »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I just want to say that, I oppose this.

It seems like a good idea, but you'd be eliminating the concept of getting elected to certain positions, which I don't really like considering this is Atlas Fantasy Elections. I'm not sure what incentive there would be to climb up a ladder if you're given an office the day you sign up.

Which brings me to another problem, what are we going to do about inactive people? If the Lower House which would be comprise of all the citizens, we're going to have some problems with keeping everyone active. Probably half our citizens right now don't take an interest in anything regarding Atlasia. Half of my party (the SDP) is dead/inactive. How would we hold votes? Majorities would be the most obvious rule, but what if 40% of the people aren't active in Atlasia? Left Atlasia? On vacation? You'd have problems meeting these thresholds.

The problem would only be greater if you ever had to deal with something that required a 2/3rds or 3/4ths margin for important things such as constitutional amendments or what have you. Getting two thirds of the entire game seems to be a nigh impossible feat if right now is any indication. The only solution would be to simply have votes take place within a certain amount of time, but it would seem to be to be a downright joke if only 40-60% of Atlasia turns out to vote in the legislature.

I'm not opposed to a parliamentary system with or without two houses, but the entire point of elected office is assuring that those who stand for election actually have the activity and the interest to take action in their particular offices. The Lower House, in my opinion, should be elected just as the Upper House.

I, personally, fall in line more with a Presidential Parliamentarian system, which would actually elect people who take an interest, but would just be comprised of more seats than our current Senate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:34:39 PM »

I also want to say that I don't like the very idea of having this poll.

So what if the majority of people support one system? Does that mean we shut out or marginalize proposals that revolve around other systems of government? If not, then what's the point of this poll at all? We should have proposals of all types, not decide we're only going to discuss one system and shun the others.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:38:38 PM »

A better system would be to open a thread (for each) based on each proposal for a new government and debate each one individually, not decide right out of the gate which one we're focusing on.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 11:44:17 PM »

A better system would be to open a thread (for each) based on each proposal for a new government and debate each one individually, not decide right out of the gate which one we're focusing on.
Perhaps, but that multiply the work by 4 or 5.

No one said this would be easy or quick.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 08:07:21 PM »

I would prefer to have much more time to discuss and build ideas for alternative proposals. (I just realized my mind has already latched onto the idea that these are "alternatives"!)

Just two days for 4+ proposals doesn't seem to be an adequate amount of time. I honestly think you're trying to speed this thing along and I really don't like that. My suggestion would be to just open up debate on each proposal for the delegates to consider and brainstorm for each idea and allow miscellaneous ideas to crop up over an indefinite period of time. (At least a week.)

What *I* would do would be to, as I said, open up the threads for each one, let them go on for awhile and encourage delegates to build up a draft for each proposal, and put those proposals to two, three, or more, votes. Since we're likely going to end up with a few proposals, take the, say, four proposals and put it to a vote, eliminate the bottom one or two proposals, open more debate on the proposals that were at the top, and after another period, put the proposals to a vote again and choose what we seem to like the most.

I think this should be a competition of ideas, not deciding what idea we like the most and just working on that the entire time. We have 19-20 delegates here, the whole point is to have a battle of ideas.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:36:39 PM »

Well this has been a fun bump to get past. Smiley

Everyone happy with this? Can we all hold hands again?

I'm fine with your compromise. Thanks. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies