Fivethirtyeight.com's performances (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:43:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Fivethirtyeight.com's performances (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you consider fivethirtyeight.com as a reliable electoral projections website
The most reliable
Very reliable
Quite reliable
Not reliable
The worst
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Fivethirtyeight.com's performances  (Read 9667 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: March 28, 2009, 07:10:39 AM »

So what does this map show us ? First, FTE's prediction were quite correct, because for only 12 states he was wrong by more than 5 points. Now, I've the impression that FTE underestimated Obama in the states where he won, and overestimated him in those where he lost ( that's rigth for every state excepted Iowa ), maybe due to an excessive ponderation of the polls. Moreover, if you except this fact, I think that FTE's margin of error corresponds to 2004-2008 trends : we can see that in states like Arkansas, Louisiana or Vermont. So, maybe FTE gives too much importance to past elections for its projections.

What do you think about it ?

I think your observation may be pointing to some of the statistical nature of a poll of polls. I think 538 had a solid, predictable method to their projections. However, even as 538 was prone to note the systematic leaning of some of their component polls, they also may have succumbed to some systematics.

As you note, the 538 projections tended too much toward the middle. This might be due to their averaging techniques, and this would be an interesting statistical study. A second factor may be the failure to identify undecideds and soft decideds as breaking more towards their state's eventual result than towards an even split.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies