Did Obama deliberately leak the Wright thing himself?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:27:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Did Obama deliberately leak the Wright thing himself?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Obama deliberately leak the Wright thing himself?  (Read 2247 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:15:01 PM »

I'm thinking he did, since it broke at the best possible time for him. If it had been in February, it would've ruined his momentum which is what mortally ruined Hillary's campaign, and if in April Hillary could've won a bigger victory in Pennsylvania and gotten back into the race. Hillary wouldn't have wanted to break it at that time, and neither would McCain, he would've wanted to wait until after the convention. And Obama couldn't have kept it a secret forever, considering it never was, I mean Wright's sermons were easily viewable on the church's site all this time. In fact prior to March I had heard it brougt up before by Hillary hacks on DU and MyDD.

Considering that though, it was pretty lousy opposition research on Hillary's part by not bringing it up before then, or 2007, when it might've actually made a difference.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:44:01 PM »

I think it's far more likely that the Hillary campaign leaked it, but it was far too little far too late.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »

It's possible that Hillary's campaign didn't leak it earlier because they were afraid of losing the black vote which for a while there they were still contesting.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »

I don't believe that Obama or Hillary leaked the tapes, which after all were in the public domain for some years.

But it was rather fortunate for him that the whole thing exploded at a time when the campaign had entered into a six week lull. Thus he had enough time to repair the damage without any immediate electoral consequenses.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 08:53:18 PM »

It likely happened during this lull because the media researchers finally had time to breath. They started looking for some more intimate aspects on who Obama really is, etc. Much of the discussion to that point hadn't really focused on who Obama was.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:22:08 AM »

in answer to the thread question: obviously no.  Obama hit a fortunate sequence of events, but to attribute every single bit of his luck to intention would be rather bold.

I've heard from people who know Axelrod that the campaign was relatively surprised by the incident and that one of the two most significant campaign issues he disagreed with Obama on, was his desire to give a speech on race following this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies