Presidential Results by Congressional District Project Now Complete (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Presidential Results by Congressional District Project Now Complete (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Results by Congressional District Project Now Complete  (Read 30502 times)
DavidNYC
Rookie
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »

The Swing State Project is pleased to announce that we have finished calculating presidential results by congressional district for all 435 districts nationwide. You can find all the results here:

http://www.swingstateproject.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=4161

Special thanks to Alcon of these boards for providing comprehensive results for the state of Washington.
DavidNYC
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »

First off, a huge thank you to everyone for all the kind compliments - coming from denizens of this board, this is high praise indeed.

Second, to answer the folks asking about data from earlier years, the link I posted in my first comment contains data for 2008, 2004, and 2000. While we only compiled 2008 ourselves, the older data is from a trusted source (Polidata by way of the Cook Political Report) and was used in the Almanac of American Politics. Please note that the 2000 data was indeed recalibrated for the post-2000 census redistricting, and the 2004 data for Georgia and Texas reflects the mid-decade redistricting those two states did.

To answer the question about early votes and split precincts, I don't think that those states (eg, Georgia) ever release proper data. We've made some educated guesses about what those splits are or ought to be, and we will probably have a more detailed post forthcoming about that. While it would be possible for results to shift somewhat, we think it's unlikely that there would be any major surprises.
DavidNYC
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:03:56 PM »

Royer: I'm not 100% sure on what you mean by "notional" in this context, but to confirm, the numbers on the chart for the 2000 election reflect the district boundaries that came into being after states created new maps after the 2000 census. This can be confirmed by the fact that brand new districts like NC-13 are shown with numbers. (If we were using pre-2002 district lines, NC-13 would be empty because it simply didn't exist.)

The same is also true for GA and TX, the two states which did mid-decade redistricting.

Nym: I emailed Dave a link to this data. He is more than welcome to use it on the site!
DavidNYC
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:54:47 PM »

Yes re GA & TX - sorry for the confusion. The numbers reflect the current maps.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies