Parliamentary Universalism: A Wonky, Redundant, Gamble (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:30:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Parliamentary Universalism: A Wonky, Redundant, Gamble (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Parliamentary Universalism: A Wonky, Redundant, Gamble  (Read 2397 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 29, 2009, 12:53:00 AM »

At first glance I agree with everything you said. However, it's pretty clear that a Presidential Parliamentarian system is just a slightly expanded version of what we have now. Combined with the fact that elections are barely competitive as it is... You know where I'm going with this.

The only way to make this function may be with a large lower house and a drastically reduced Senate. Maybe between 5 and 10 members. In addition, the Senate would be more free-flowing, reflecting their special status as elected; whereas a lower house would be given strict restrictions on debate and legislation development.

What I partially hope for in a bicameral system is a situation in which some members strive for greater, less restricted positions in the Senate while others feel an antagonism towards the upper house and seek to rule the lower house.

While Parliamentary Universalism is far from perfect, we can develop it to be better. It has the potential to incorporate the other ideas proposed into itself and thrive on an array of balancing acts. It creates relationships and interwebbing networks of communication. It just has that feel of excitement and constant flow. Something is always going on somewhere.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »

We would have to make sure each house would have set powers. For example in the U.S., only the Senate confirms Presidential nominations.

Also, I would say that instead of picking a number like 15, (unless we do the upper house elected by the regions) we could say a percentage of all registered members (or all voters in the last election). If we did 1 for every 10, we would get either 11 (from the 111 people on the rolls) or 6 (from the 63 voters).

I guess we need to find out, how many Atlasians would participate in the lower house if it used a form of universalism.

That proportion thing is actually a great idea. I would say you base it on the number of voters in the general election.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »

I guess we need to find out, how many Atlasians would participate in the lower house if it used a form of universalism.

On that note, I have started a poll to find this out in the Election board.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies