What will be the major economic news stories of April 2009?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:04:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What will be the major economic news stories of April 2009?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will be the major economic news stories of April 2009?  (Read 821 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:11:54 AM »

Also talk about the entire second quarter (April-June).  Will the economy start to improve?  Will we bottom out anytime in the next three months?  Will this bear-market rally continue or will be slip back into a February-esque mode where the major indicies plummeted?  Will the credit crunch improve?  Will the housing market continue to improve as it seems to have been doing, especially in the last couple of weeks?  What about unemployment?  What about oil prices and the price at the pump?  A lot of questions here, but each month seems to have a legacy of its own in all of these areas.  For example, February was a lot different than January, March was a lot different than either February or January.

Be as brief or as detailed as you wish.

Also, one last thing, please talk about the overall global market for every country's economy is interconnected.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 08:57:26 AM »

I say this is the final quarter of a decline in GDP. Unemployment will continue to drop but the rate will begin to even out, reaching the bottom of the curve.

You will probably see a slight easing of credit as government-funded projects get under way and money is freed up. In addition, the government's payroll refunds will begin, giving people more money each month.

The bear-market rally will likely pop in the next week, but if damage can be contained to even a 1000 point drop in the Dow I think we should be fine. The talking heads will be freaking out, but most people will be so immune to the dramatic roller coaster that it will pass and be followed by sustained market growth by the end of the month.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »

I'm kind of curious to see how bad tax receipts are going to be on April 15 in comparison to what is being predicted.

The G-20 meeting will probably be a disaster.

I suspect a decent number of financial institutions, etc. will probably beat earnings estimates (the estimates will be in the catastrophic range), allowing folks to think "this is over soon".  I love traps.

Anyway, we're in the calm of the storm right now, so go out and enjoy your life and figure out ways to collect cash, etc...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies