Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:23:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Parliamentary Bicameralism (Discussion Open)  (Read 94914 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »

Reducing the number of regions and allowing dual office holding is the last best option for giving hope to regional governance.

There was a time when I thought that reducing the number of regions was a good idea, but it has since become clear that the regional system of government is unsustainable. I have not seen any evidence to suggest that the relatively marginal increase in average regional population which regional reduction will create will result in any increased activity.

All efforts at regional regeneration in recent years have seen an initial burst of procedural related activity which dissipates gradually into stagnancy. The latest example is in the Mideast. There is no doubt that the more active partipants there are keen to try and make the project work, but it is clearly becoming harder there to generate legislation and almost impossible to generate interest (as demonstrated a few times now when vacancies/elections have arisen). It is a cycle which has repeated itself again and again.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 08:31:02 AM »

I still don't understand what harm the regions do. At best they provide a training ground for new members. At worst? They are inactive and boring. You don't gain anything by their abolition.

I don't think it's a good idea to have an entire section of the game that is "inactive and boring."

That is worst case. We clearly see that some regions are not inactive and provide a vibrant training ground for new recruits. Look at how the Mideast has continued (despite your grim warnings months ago) to pump out active users. I went from Assembly member to Senator and now Dan or Persepolis will join me on that same track.

And I continue to insist that you would have been active anyway, especially if we created compensatory positions to deal somewhat with the decrease in positions brought about by the abolition of regions.

But it didn't hurt to have. Worst case we will see the regions are useless and remove them by amendment.

You know that will never happen Tongue

Not true, if I see the need to get rid of the regions, I would put the amendment myself in the senate.

Even if you could get the Amendment through the Senate (and I sincerely doubt you could), it would fail in the Pacific and Southeast regions by at least a 3 to 1 margin.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:40:56 AM »

I still don't understand what harm the regions do. At best they provide a training ground for new members. At worst? They are inactive and boring. You don't gain anything by their abolition.

I don't think it's a good idea to have an entire section of the game that is "inactive and boring."

That is worst case. We clearly see that some regions are not inactive and provide a vibrant training ground for new recruits. Look at how the Mideast has continued (despite your grim warnings months ago) to pump out active users. I went from Assembly member to Senator and now Dan or Persepolis will join me on that same track.

And I continue to insist that you would have been active anyway, especially if we created compensatory positions to deal somewhat with the decrease in positions brought about by the abolition of regions.

But it didn't hurt to have. Worst case we will see the regions are useless and remove them by amendment.

You know that will never happen Tongue

Not true, if I see the need to get rid of the regions, I would put the amendment myself in the senate.

Even if you could get the Amendment through the Senate (and I sincerely doubt you could), it would fail in the Pacific and Southeast regions by at least a 3 to 1 margin.

So how do we expect to pass any Constitution without an article including regions in three quarters of the regions for ratification?

With great difficulty.

Whatever document the Convention comes up with, if it is to pass in the Pacific it will require bgwah's approval. On the region's issue he's probably more hard-core than the RPP; in that he pretty much overtly doesn't care whether there is any actual regional activity. Voter turnout and elections themselves are his primary concern. The caveat to this analysis is though that now that bgwah has been President will he retain the same level of interest in the game (historically, many ex- President's lose touch or at least greatly decline their interest levels after their term of office). We'll have to wait and see on that one.

The other region of concern on regional issues is the Southeast. The absence of DWTL leaves a power-vacuum there (and within the party) as no other RPP member commands the same level of attention. PiT may be the new de facto leader, but we'll have to wait and see on that. Whether this is good or bad is hard to say, most non-RPP members have drifted away from any level of activity by the party's control of the region, so the decision will still be with that party's membership. There are signs that some within the party now accept that the current regional set-up isn't viable (the absolute and complete failure of the RPP-dominated Southeast government is too glaring and consistently apparant to ignore). They are more likely to accept a reduction in regions or enforced regional legislatures though at this time than actual abolition - but given their current disarray, who knows...

The Mideast now seems to believe it has found a solution to the regional inactivity - and best of luck to them - but I think the clock is running on that project. The election of reactionaries in the last election spurred activity again but now that the procedural issues have been sorted out, the Assembly will start to struggle to maintain an active agenda and I supect will drift into inactivity over the coming weeks and months. Whether or not this happens in time for the ConCon or the waivering RPP members to notice, I don't know. I susepct though that given the current levels of activity, the Mideast also would reject any change to the regional set-up.

All that said, if the ConCon comes up with a document which doesn't address the regional issue or approves the status quo, I will be voting for a rejection in the Midwest (not that that on it's own is significant, but I imagine I won't be alone).

Truth be known, whatever document the Convention comes up with will find ratification a tough hurdle to clear.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies