Party Development (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:19:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Party Development (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Party Development  (Read 15104 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: April 11, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »

I will vote against (and a large majority if not all of my party) will vote against any constitution that caps the amount of members in a party.  If the RPP does not have the right to exist the way it currently does, I will be voting against the constitution.

Likewise.  I'm very much against the idea of capping the number of people in a Party.

as am I...seems to be an unnecessary restriction.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:38 PM »

Moving beyond the idea of capping, what role should parties play? How can we establish institutions to make them more a part of the game?

Depends greatly on your overall goals.

The easiest way to make parties more influential is to adopt electoral systems that parties can use, namely proportional representation, whether that be by party list or keeping STV entirely. I'm not personally sure where I stand on parties. Obviously, everyone should have the right to form any party they wish with any number of members for any purpose, and it seems quite absurd to suggest otherwise. The only question here is whether we should adopt a constitution that specifically gives parties some sort of power. Take the German electoral system, for example, as the number of seats in parliament are directly influenced by the number of party list votes each party receives. Even if an independent were to win a district, that would have virtually no effect on the balance of power in parliament. In the real world, it's not a system I'm very sympathetic to, but Atlasia isn't quite the same thing.

Parties in Atlasia have lots of potential. In a parliamentary system with some sort of proportional representation, it would be very interesting to watch parties have to form coalitions in order to reach a governing majority, however the growing influence of parties might alienate several members that do not wish to pledge allegiance to any specific political group.

Overall, I'm not entirely sure where I stand on parties, but they're certainly something that we need to consider in our new constitution.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:30:17 PM »

So long as there is a PM, I would hope to see a form of government that makes coalitions almost necessary. That said, I wouldn't want to see individual parties lose power because of this. The current system we have actually allows for coalitions, as we sort of see with Senate now of a loose RPP vs. JCP/DA/SPD kind of setup. Perhaps we need not mess with this setup, but simply lend greater importance for that same sort of interaction, i.e. PM and Cabinet positions.

True indeed, we've seen on several cloture votes how support is necessary from all parties...and it has been successful several times.

A "coalition government" doesn't really function in a different matter, it depends on support from the parties that are members of the coalition to advance the government's goals, but it does require a certain amount of partisan loyalty to function properly.

The independence of individual legislators is something I would not really like to lose.

Although...that could lead to many interesting scenarios in which the government suddenly loses confidence and has to dissolve. Smiley HMMMMM.....!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies