This is a goddamn game (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:44:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  This is a goddamn game (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is a goddamn game  (Read 3832 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: April 06, 2009, 07:14:34 AM »

I think this fact is eluding a lot of members of this Convention. This isn't real life. The goal of this game isn't to "make peoples lives better" or "grant personal freedoms". The goal of this game is to have fun. Decisions should be made around that fact... not some sort of delusion that anything that happens here actually matters.

The spark for this was the moaning in the party thread about being forced into membership. Obviously that'd be something draconian that I wouldn't support in real life. But in this? Why not? It's a game, people! Are you really going to be personally hurt if you're forced to join an imaginary party in an imaginary game? If you are then you need a psychologist.

Let's take another game: Monopoly. When you land on a space you must pay rent. But what if I don't want to pay rent? Too friggin' bad - it's a game and that's how it works. You draw a card that says you have to go to jail. But why? I didn't do anything wrong! Too friggin' bad - it's a game and that's how it works. I want to develop houses on my property even though I don't own all of properties of that color. To not do so deprives me of my freedom! Too friggin' bad - it's a game and that's how it works.

The goal of the game structure here should not be to make people's lives better or freer or whatever other nonsense. This is a game and we should come up with game rules that make it most enjoyable.

Hear, hear!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies