Red Columbine: Ten Years On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:45:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Red Columbine: Ten Years On
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Red Columbine: Ten Years On  (Read 3705 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2009, 04:12:38 PM »
« edited: April 10, 2009, 04:16:14 PM by Einzige »

Draft.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
- Marilyn Manson, "Cruci-Fiction In Space"

Ten days from now marks the decade anniversary of an event which ruptured the idyll tranquility of a small school on the outskirts of Little, Colorado. In the ensuing decade similar explosions of passion would erupt throughout the nation, although taking directions quite different from the one which found expression that day. And in the meantime the forces unleashed in Columbine High School would herald a shift in the perspective of a generation.

For, to the generation that grew up in the placid banality of post-Reagan America, where middle-class conformity is the iron rule of social law and American Presidents have ascended to the Godhead, enumerated in the pantheon of Western civilization, such an occurrence is little surprising. We grew up inundated with tales of the martyred Kennedies, and King; those of different political persuasions might look back on Wallace with the same regard. At any rate, the man in charge at the time was certainly only an ersatz Kennedy, a poor man's Kennedy, however much he might have aspired to be the real thing. Such was the nature of life in 1990's America. What was unique at Columbine, however, was the pronounced effect it had on the nation's attitudes towards its youth, and the moral panic it instigated against all things perceived to be out of the ordinary.

As for myself, I was quite young on April 20th, 1999 - ten, to be exact. I remember it quite well. I had sprained my wrist in a game of touch football and was on my way to the emergency room (overprotective soccer mothers was another facet of the American Way at the time) when I heard about the shooting on the news. Details were scarce in the immediate aftermath; a rumor had been circulating that the shooters had worn make-up of some kind, and that they'd cornered a girl in the school library and shot her for being a Christian - a myth later debunked, but one which doubtless helped the shattered community rally to demonize the killers further.

The news of others' pain is always the most effective painkiller one has. We get angry and lash out when we stub our toes, for instance, and this makes us feel better about the situation. For me it is no different, and on that day I listened intently to the waiting-room radio, possessed with a rather childish sense of schadenfreude at the goings-on in the Empty Quarter.

Immediately obvious to me even then, if on a non-intellectual level, was the drama of the shooting. If the killers - and at this point the police were rather sure that there was only two of them - were the villains, then there must have been a hero to compensate. And there was: a star was born in the form of Cassie Bernall, the Nathan Hale of American fundamentalist Christianity. She, when asked by her diabolical assailants if she believed in God (the Judeo-Christian God, of course; villains are uninterested in persecuting heathens), Said Yes, and was martyred.

In the days and years since, of course, new light has been shed disproving this assertion. A student named Valeen Schnurr has henceforth come to light and claimed that she was asked that question, and was spared. Moreover, Emily Wyant, the sole Columbine survivor to witness Bernall's murder, told Salon magazine that such an exchange never took place, that, in fact, Cassie Bernall had merely been praying when shooter Dylan Klebold executed her.

But truth and desire are frequently at loggerheads in the collective mentality of the mob, and certainly so in this instance. Cassie became an overnight celebrity amongst the rank-and-file of the American fundamentalist movement, beginning with a clever bit of aggrandizement on the part of her mother with the publication of a book, She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall (ISBN 0-7434-0052-6) in September of that year, not six months after the attack. News of her sacrifice quickly spread throughout the nation, culminating in a 2000 hearing on Youth Culture and Violence before the House Committee on the Judiciary, in which Donna Hearne, executive director of the arch-conservative Constitutional Coalition, said of Ms. Bernall:

Like all collectivists, Mrs. Hearne would go on to lambaste what she perceived to be the degradation of American culture through individualism as the root cause of the massacre:

Such a conclusion - that the killer's motivations were formed as the result of a societal loosening of moral strictures, facilitated through the media and the educational system - is the only one logically tenable from Mrs. Hearne's foundational premise: that individuals are the products of a society, and not of psychological impulses and drives; that human beings are molded and sculpted from sociological clay; that a man's destiny lays, not in his own hands, but on a social assembly line, where it is stamped by the media and cut into shape by the schools. Harris and Klebold, if we follow this line of reasoning to its core, were in fact not responsible for their rampage - hence, according to Mr. Hearne's own reasoning, they are not ethically liable, either in this life or the next (I presume that such a conclusion would have stopped her in her intellectual tracks). Her own absolutism - the belief that morality exists as an interpersonal, social force, and that society has a duty to maintain this untenable web of valuation - actively undermines itself.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 04:13:11 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2009, 04:47:39 PM by Einzige »

Not that this realization dawned on the mindless masses who suddenly found themselves beset by a trace of the same rage which drove Klebold and Harris to murder. Indeed, Donna Hearne was only the tip of the Philistine iceberg: the media swarmed with self-recrimination of the most ludicrous sort, recalling the darkest days of the Judas Priest monkey trial or the 'Satanic Panic' sex 'scandals' of the 1980's, frequently fueled by the survivors themselves.

Speaking on the television program The 700 Club the day after the shooting, host, televangelist and African blood diamond enthusiast Pat Robertson opined:

Here again we see a fundamentally anti-individualist philosophy at work in the aftermath: working from the assumption that individuals are incapable of guiding their own destinies, Mr. Robertson seems to believe that individualism itself caused the Columbine tragedy, and that, had the shooters followed the dictates and mores of American society, that it would never have happened.

But I have to wonder: are American values really antithetical to a school shooting? The desire for martyrdom is an all-American one; it has been embedded in the tapestry of our national mythos since the legendary Boston Massacre and before. And before: each Sunday, millions of Americans elect to expose themselves to a religion where the highest and most valuable symbol is that of a man nailed to a crucifix, contorted in grotesque agony - and this as a symbol of salvation.

Perhaps America ought to re-evaluate its values. Or perhaps we simply revel in each others pain. Whatever the case, every time we ask after a killer's 'inspiration', we betray what we really see his actions as: we see them as art. And probably there is not much difference. But if, in our stupidity, we begin to turn an evil eye on our own art - if we choose to regulate and stimy our own expression as as to make the world 'more safe' (for democracy? for children?), we will find ourselves quickly in a stifling world where the pressure to conform ignites the very explosives detonated a year ago at Columbine.

But even explosives are used for fertilizer. Perhaps flowers can yet grow there.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 06:44:35 PM »

Marilyn Manson. How profound. I tip my hat to you good sir.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:39:50 PM »

He was one of the targets of the witch-hunt, and I am a fan. Keep your grudge against me out of my threads.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »

He was one of the targets of the witch-hunt, and I am a fan.
So am I.

The quote is non-sequitur and doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of your scribe. It only exists to create an impression. Which is again, trying too hard. That's my criticism.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:11:35 PM »

He was one of the targets of the witch-hunt, and I am a fan.
So am I.

The quote is non-sequitur and doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of your scribe. It only exists to create an impression. Which is again, trying too hard. That's my criticism.

It most certainly does: the deification of Cassie Bernall, alongside Lincoln and Kennedy and a hundred other American-made 'martyrs'.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:15:31 PM »

"Board for high-quality discussions of complex issues"

Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »

I didn't feel like reading two long posts of gibberish? Can anyone summarize?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28:01 AM »

it's 'Littleton', not 'Little'
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies