Florida ballot replacement law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:59:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Florida ballot replacement law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Florida ballot replacement law  (Read 953 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »

I know this is old, but I was just reminded of the situation. I'm referring of course to the Mark Foley situation in 2006, when he was replaced, but the replacement had to run under Foley's name.

How the hell is this legal or constitutional? You cast a vote for someone but it goes to someone else with no such notification on the ballot? If Foley couldn't be truly replaced but was replaced with something like "Republican-selected candidate" it might pass, but you had a situation where the votes had to be cast for one candidate and counted for someone else, with no notification whatsoever of that. That's a pretty strong grounds for a lawsuit as an illegal election policy, and I bet the only reason the Republicans didn't challenge it is that overturning it would've likely just meant not being able to replace Foley at all.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:30:07 AM »

See, this is the trouble, here.

You make so many threads that people have learned to ignore that when you hit on a potentially interesting topic, such as this, no one takes you seriously.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies