Afleitch for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:41:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Afleitch for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Afleitch for Senate  (Read 5769 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »

As to this very specific matter concerning the Atlasian right. I do not identify myself with left nor right. I'm a centrist a heart, a centrist who holds both liberal and conservative viewpoints. A centrist who holds viewpoints which at one time may be applauded by the left and booed by the right and at another one who holds viewpoints that may be applauded by the right and booed by the left. I founded the Democratic Alliance last year to represent this middle-ground. I'm pleased to have attracted into the DA liberals, conservatives, and pure centrists alike. I am always open to members of all political stripes joining the DA, granted that they generally agree with our ideas and desires.

I wrote above on my opposition to a return to two-party politics in Atlasia but my support for a strengthened multi-party system. I won't restate my comments. However, on a personal note, while I support a party that can unite members of different avatar colours, I will not join a large centre-right party. The Atlasian right includes some exceptional members which hold great ideas. However, I feel it would be betraying my true centrist values of neither left nor right to jump into a party uniting the right, even if such an idea has some merit. I am also opposed to joining a large Atlasian right common party because I strongly feel that my moderate centrist-"European right" voice would be in the minority against a larger conservative-"American right" majority. Similar to how the Canadian Progressive Conservatives were effectively squashed by the new CPC in 2003.

My own position is clear. I am an economic conservative but a social liberal, I could only join a conservative party that was in effect a 'big tent' party that took on board wide and differing opinions. I am a member of the DA for exactly the same reasons that you are Smiley Likewise I was a member of the NLC, Moderates, FDP and the Civic Alliance for the same reason I am a member of the DA. I am not saying centrism has no place, or that there should only be two parties on left and one right. I have never been a member of a party exclusively of the left or of the right. I am simply recognising that people can be grouped together when they share a common ground, not necessarily meaning that they have to form a party.

For a long time in Atlasia, to take one point you made, we have had European/American party systems operating side by side; we've had European centrist/classical liberal parties next to American conservative parties and American liberal parties next to European social democratic parties. There will always be those strands of thought and they will always overlap. There has been, barring changes in name, a suprising uniformity in party systems in Atlasia for some years and I don't propose that will change.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 08:05:25 PM »

I am also opposed to joining a large Atlasian right common party because I strongly feel that my moderate centrist-"European right" voice would be in the minority against a larger conservative-"American right" majority. Similar to how the Canadian Progressive Conservatives were effectively squashed by the new CPC in 2003.

I suspect the reverse may actually happen... I don't think there are many +E, +S's in Atlasia, a few of us to be sure, but certainly a minority. Obviously I don't hold a crystal ball, so I could only guess at the result, but I think that any broad-right party is likely to have something of a libertarian lean to it +E, -S. Personally, I think that even the most conservative party now, the RPP, is mostly in that quadrant, although not all of us are. It's very possible you may be right, Hashemite, and that "Capital C" Conservatives might outnumber the "Little C" Conservatives, but I think the opposite is more likely. It's a fair point your raise, though.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »

Hello once again Smiley

And I'd like to welcome BaconKing back into the race. I'll take stock of what happened in the last week (once I read about them!) and post later.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »

Tax doesn't have to be taxing (With apologies to HM Revenue and Customs Smiley )

There appears to be some issues resulting from the Flat Tax Bill which has 'transformed' into something else, been withdrawn, then re-introduced and so on. Such are the pitfalls of tax legislation in an ideologically divided Senate. I was the author of the first, and only income tax reduction bill in the history of Atlasia. Now as then, the issue was not how the tax system should be structured, but about who should be taxed and more importantly who shouldn't be.

What is income tax and why do we pay it? It is a tax on earnings designed to contribute to the public purse and provide services to all Atlasians such as police coverage, public schools and transportation. A recent increase in tax now funds close to universal coverage of higher education for Atlaian students. There are arguments over what the government should and shouldn't fund but those must be kept seperate from any debate over how tax should be structured.

The flat tax was for a long time an idea that needed to be tested. Then it was introduced in other forms such as flat sales taxes, local taxes and so on. It was also introduced in many booming post-cold war eastern European nations. But - we are not a booming new economy, we are an old country, with an embedded economy that's taking quite a hit. Any attempts to introduce a flat tax must be taken with that burden on our shoulders. Tax reform however can be utilised to help us up and out of the recession; we can reduce taxes for the working and middle classes, for small businesses and introduce Social Development Zones where we can relax tax rules to help social entrepreneurs and the voluntary sector. This can be extended to initiate Economic Development zones with targeted investment and/or tax cuts to give local and new start business a boost in communities affected by the current downturn and other long term economic problems.

I have an eye for tax reform that can bring all sides of the Senate to the table. I ask for Atlasia to trust in me to take this forward.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »

I'll give you my third preference in this election. Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »

I'll give you my third preference in this election. Smiley

Unexpected but appreciated. Thank you Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 08:03:25 AM »

And we're off!
The election has already kicked off and I would like to wish everyone running the best of luck. I think this is going to be a tough race for me, but I hope I've done what I can to demonstrate what sort of Senator I would wish to be. A 'details' Senator, with a programme, with a constructive policy working to make the bits of Atlasia that work work better.

I don't believe that in this upcoming session, we should concentrate on issues already being adressed at the convention, or play any games simply to consolidate existing power and structures. We need to be prepared to be a transitional Senate ensuring we leave behind legislation that fits in with whatever new constitution we propose. This means a new style and a new purpose.

I hope that I can be a part of that.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

I'm still not sure if you or Purple State will get my 1st PV.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:13 AM »

Election Update

Thank you to everyone who has voted so far whether you have preferenced me or not Smiley A steady turnout means alot to the democratic process and to the game itself.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »

Once again can I thank you all for voting and thank you to all who have preferenced me. It's a close race with a high turnout and it's not over yet. However for me, the last hours will be in the wee small hours and I'll have to hit the hay shortly Smiley

If anyone is still thinking of casting a ballot in my favour, I won't be here to speak to you. But if you're on this thread, please read from the very start to get a picture of what I hope to achieve if elected.

If am elected, the work to get this legislation written and ready to be presented to the Senate will get underway as soon as possible. If I am elected and you have any thoughts on what you think might work, let's have that discussion and we can draft bills that work and make Atlasia work.

Thank you.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2009, 12:35:20 AM »

Congratulations on your likely victory, mate.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2009, 12:39:35 AM »

I look forward to working with you in the Senate Afleitch.  Obviously this should prove to be a strong term I think.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2009, 12:39:53 AM »

Second this. And I hope to be joining you as an incoming Senator. You have some great ideas to bring to the Senate and it should be a promising and exciting term.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2009, 01:27:29 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2009, 02:51:38 AM by afleitch »

Second this. And I hope to be joining you as an incoming Senator. You have some great ideas to bring to the Senate and it should be a promising and exciting term.

Thank you and I am sorry you couldn't join me there Sad Thank you Smid and HW. I'll say a little more later today.

EDIT: Hello..it seems you got in Smiley I was checking through things again - marvellous if it's confirmed Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »

I extend my congratulations to those elected tonight and my thanks to those who voted. To Lief and SPC, I am very sorry to see you both go because of the hard work both of you put into the Senate in the past few weeks when I have had the pleasure to be a spectator in many of the bills on the Senate floor. However I believe if you stand for election, you should be 'in it to win it.' If you have any doubts about your commitment, or you are just dog tired, you should stand aside before the polls open. There were many voters who voted for SPC who may be dissapointed he edited himself out of the race and talked himself down in the final few hours. I would hope he reflects on this if he or anyone else pushes towards him standing again in June; doubts about genuine commitment to the race, may linger should he choose to run again which would be dissapointing.

Moving on a little, I am in the process of drafting a bill to establish Social and Economic Enterprise Zones offering tax incentives to new and relocated businesses, commercial services and farms combined with a government commitment to investment in economically deprived areas. Once the new Senate is seated I hope to formall introduce it.

Thank you all. It has been an absolute pleasure and one of my favourite races in some 3 and a half years Smiley I echo those who say as a game 'we are not dead.' We are alive and we are moving forward!
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »

I'm looking forward to see you work as a Senator. You will be missed in the Mideast Assembly but I know you will be a big help in the Senate.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »

Although I am upset to see that my friends Lief and SPC were unable to return to the Senate, I couldn't be happier that your back in the Senate. I look forward to seeing all your great work!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies