Should it be legal for passengers to consume alcohol in a moving vehicle?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:19:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be legal for passengers to consume alcohol in a moving vehicle?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should it be legal for passengers to consume alcohol in a moving vehicle?
Yes

No

Only if they're in the backseat

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Should it be legal for passengers to consume alcohol in a moving vehicle?  (Read 5682 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 03:51:30 AM »

All alcohol consumption should be legal, whether in a car or not, moving or not.
This.  Even drivers should be able to drink.  Yes, even while driving.

(not to the point of being drunk of course)
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 08:39:40 AM »

All alcohol consumption should be legal, whether in a car or not, moving or not.

Would you say that when your family gets T-boned and burns to death in an auto fire?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 08:41:56 AM »

Yeah, cause that never happens now that it's illegal to drink while driving.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:44 AM »

Yeah, cause that never happens now that it's illegal to drink while driving.

So should murder be legalized then? I mean, it's going to happen anyways.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 08:59:09 AM »

I think we're on different pages here.  If a guy is driving drunk in my world where it's legal to drink and drive (but NOT be drunk and drive) he is breaking the law when he becomes drunk before he T-bones my family.  The guy is still breaking the law, just like he is in the real world.  Your argument doesn't stand up.  The guy is breaking the law, period.

Now, you could argue that letting people drink while driving would lead to increase in people breaking the law by driving drunk.  I wouldn't buy it still because I (generally) don't like to punish everybody for the actions of a few.

(unless your original post was saying the guy was just drinking a beer and not drunk, in which case wouldn't he have T-boned my family anyway?  Even if he was just drinking a Pepsi.)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »

I see where you are coming from but my problem is that your approach would legitimize the action. Drinking while driving should be discouraged for the sheer fact that their are millions of yokels who don't know how to drive to begin with and only get worse the more they drink. In a state of tourists and spring breakers road deaths most certainly would skyrocket.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 09:19:33 AM »

Probably, which is why I don't and won't make a big stink about it.  On the list of "wrongs" in this country it is REALLY far down the list.  Probably wouldn't even make the list actually.

Hijack, wasn't this a fairly common practice by many "regular" adults up through the 70s and early 80s?  My parents were total non-drinkers and didn't hang around with any so I never saw it done by "regular" adults when I was a kid.  I of course saw it a lot when I was a teenager young adult and may have even done it myself a time or five.  Little known fact:most men between 16 and 23 are retarded but think they know everything.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 10:32:01 AM »

It's a tough one. In theory I certainly agree that it should be legal to drink while driving as long as you aren't drunk. However, even having one drink in your system does affect your driving ability, even if you don't realize it at the time (of course, so do a lot of other legal activities, like talking to someone else who is in the car, talking on the phone, eating, changing the radio station, etc.).

I'd say it should be a secondary offense; if you get pulled over for violating another law, you can be cited for drinking as well even if you aren't drunk. But as long as you are obeying the law and not driving recklessly, and you aren't leaglly drunk, it shouldn't be a primary offense that you can get pulled over for solely.

Likewise if a passenger has an open container. It should be a secondary offense with the ticket going to the passenger, not the driver.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »

Would you say that when your family gets T-boned and burns to death in an auto fire?

You really can't assume we all have the same sort of relationship with our families that you do with yours, Rights.  I mean in some cases T-boning is too good for them.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 01:50:51 PM »

And risk having said passengers puke on your upholstery? Not on your life.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies