Trouble in Thailand
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:29:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Trouble in Thailand
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trouble in Thailand  (Read 1470 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2004, 09:11:45 AM »

Have any of you heard about the troubles in the South here?  Some 80 or so protestors killed by the Army due to suffocation in transport trucks.  It has created quite a public relations problem for Prime Minister Taksin. 

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/29/1099028212173.html

Taksin is a sort of Thai Bush - zenophobic, nationalistic, and something of a populist.  His support also comes mainly from the simple country people.  I dislike the man, not for his muslim-killing, but for his unfriendly attitude towards foreigners and his moralizing 'social order' crusade.  I'm hoping it brings this horrible nationalistic government down, but I duobt it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 09:22:44 AM »

Heard about that. Nasty
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 09:57:06 AM »

This screams foreshadowing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 12:39:46 PM »

What do you mean?  Like me getting blown up or something?
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 04:06:36 PM »

No, I was thinking that this was going to happen here. You said Taksin was like a Thai Bush. We're thisclose to having the Bush regime kill protesters it's scary.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 11:52:05 AM »

No, I was thinking that this was going to happen here. You said Taksin was like a Thai Bush. We're thisclose to having the Bush regime kill protesters it's scary.

Oh, good point! 

I meant more that Thaksin was a moralizing prude who appeals to the rural dullards for his political support.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 12:30:32 PM »

Yeah, opebo, I've heard about it. It did make page 2 news here.
I was wondering what you thought, actually.
I was also wondering - those tourist, beach areas are pretty close to the Muslim part of Thailand, right? Are Thai Muslims very visible? Do they dress different from the majority, say? And is there/has there always been noticeable tension?
Of course, I don't know where in Thailand you are right now, but I figure you probably have been to the South.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 12:58:51 PM »

Yeah, opebo, I've heard about it. It did make page 2 news here.
I was wondering what you thought, actually.
I was also wondering - those tourist, beach areas are pretty close to the Muslim part of Thailand, right? Are Thai Muslims very visible? Do they dress different from the majority, say? And is there/has there always been noticeable tension?
Of course, I don't know where in Thailand you are right now, but I figure you probably have been to the South.

I've been to the southern islands, but not inside the Muslim areas.  Right now I'm on the beach, but on the opposite side of the Gulf of Thailand (in Pattaya).  One does see a very small number of Muslims here and a few in Bangkok, usually engaging in certain types of trades or businesses - often selling 'Muslim' foods.  The women sometimes wear a moderate amount of headgear.   They tend to look poorer than typical Thais. 

There is no tention noticable here, where they're just a tiny itinerant minority.  But in the South there's a separatists movement, and Thailands way of dealing with anyone who threatens the authority of the heirarchy has always been very harsh.  For example Communists in the Northeast in the late 1970's and early 1980's were slaughtered wholesale. 

In general this sort of thing works well, but I dislike Taksin for other reasons so I'm hoping it brings down his Government.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies