Why Does the World Hate the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:05:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why Does the World Hate the US?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: The World Hates the US because. . .
Bush

They are all misguided about the facts

I don't think the world hates us

Other, Please Explain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Why Does the World Hate the US?  (Read 15053 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2004, 03:51:24 AM »

And what is that, Gabu?

I bet I couldtake a wild guess Smiley , but still, spell out exactly what you think we should do.

My own view is that the world doesn't hate us, just Europe (and some countries that are culturally very much like Europe) and the Islamofacists do.  And who cares what they think, anyway.  Most of them were opposed to us taking out the Taliban.  They preferred that we try to extradite bin Laden.  Who in their right mind would say that the right response to Pearl Harbor would be to take Yamamoto to the World Court instead of defeating the Empire of Japan outright?
cwelsch

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2004, 04:33:49 AM »

Most of the hatred of the US is irrational.  There are so many legitimate critiques of America - or of almost any country - that it's not even funny.  But most people approach anti-Americanism from a place of emotion.  It's like there's a chip on the shoulder for anti-Americans, and whether their arguments are good or bad is secondary, they won't be deterred.  The rest of the people are just followers, doing what's cool or common or seems radical.

Then there are also people who do it from fear of being invaded or bombed, but that hardly explains anti-Americanism in Europe.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2004, 02:34:43 AM »

The world doesn't hate America because of Bush. That is just a lame excuse. When America does something, it drastically effects the world. When most of the European nations do something, nobody cares. That breeds a lot of resentment and hatred. Foreigners are not jealous of the USA's democracy or freedom, as American right-wingers would have you believe. They are jealous of the USA's status and power.

Baggy green,

You don't think that the World Opinion of the US has declined since the Bush Administration started?
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2004, 10:01:04 AM »

They don't hate us, just some of the decisions we make. If you were to go over to ....lets say france....and ask them their opinion of the US, they will probablly say the land of opportunity, the land of freedom. If you ask them the opinion of the US foreign policy they would probablly be like "arrogant americans, they have no respect for anyone".
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2004, 12:38:59 PM »

First off, the entire world doesn't hate us, there are many countries that really like us, some are apathetic. But of course hate is louder than admiration, so hate gets more attention. By the way the parts of the world that hate us for the most part already did hate us before Bush came along.

Some hate Bush, but not us. Some hate everything about us(a few Middle Eastern countries come to mind). Some are jealous of us. Some think our people are arrogant(to a degree they have a point). Let's not pretend there is one simple explanation or cause, because if there was there would be a quick fix and we'd do that, but there is no singular cause and no quick fix.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »

First off, the entire world doesn't hate us, there are many countries that really like us, some are apathetic. But of course hate is louder than admiration, so hate gets more attention. By the way the parts of the world that hate us for the most part already did hate us before Bush came along.

Some hate Bush, but not us. Some hate everything about us(a few Middle Eastern countries come to mind). Some are jealous of us. Some think our people are arrogant(to a degree they have a point). Let's not pretend there is one simple explanation or cause, because if there was there would be a quick fix and we'd do that, but there is no singular cause and no quick fix.

I think you got it more or less right.
Tory

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2004, 12:15:14 PM »

I think the U.S. should stop giving a sh**t about what others think of them.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2004, 04:53:19 PM »

Good advice, Tory. Some of us don't.

Most of us don't have a clue what others think. Ask the average american what folks in estonia think of us and they will ask which state estonia is in
Tory

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2004, 05:06:11 PM »

Most of us don't have a clue what others think. Ask the average american what folks in estonia think of us and they will ask which state estonia is in

First of all, you aren't a Libertarian, why do you have a Libertarian avatar?

Does it matter what Estonians think of Americans? No. So why should the average American keep up to date on current anti-American sentiment in every single country in the world? They shouldn't, and if they do, then they are pathetic.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2004, 11:24:02 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2004, 11:27:53 PM by Redefeatbush04 »

I don't know what I am. I hate Bush but my beliefs don't quite fit the democratic platform......at all. Of all the people on this site I find myself agreeing with Dibble the most, and I cringe whenever Kerry talks about his expensive programs because I know we can't afford them.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2004, 12:27:18 AM »

Foriegn countries hate us because the fear us.  We are an econmic and cultural powerhouse and the last superpower with global aspirations.

If they hate us because they fear us, I say GOOD!
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2004, 07:21:37 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2004, 07:27:40 AM by Michael Z »

Foriegn countries hate us because the fear us.  We are an econmic and cultural powerhouse and the last superpower with global aspirations.

I think I remember why I haven't visited this forum in a while.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2004, 08:17:49 AM »

Computer problems?
Tory

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2004, 09:14:55 AM »

You need to come back!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2004, 08:42:01 PM »

I don't know what I am. I hate Bush but my beliefs don't quite fit the democratic platform......at all. Of all the people on this site I find myself agreeing with Dibble the most, and I cringe whenever Kerry talks about his expensive programs because I know we can't afford them.

Give yourself a green(independent) avatar for now, since you really don't know what you are. You can look up more info on the Libertarian Party or other parties and determine what you are over time, if anything solid, at a later time.
cwelsch

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2004, 12:34:37 AM »

I refuse to be called arrogant by the French.  A country full of racists, virulent right-wingers and ignorant nationalists.  A pseudo-fascist makes it to round 2 in their national elections and I'm supposed to take lessons from them in being tolerant and accepting?  Sorry.  Some polls have shown that as many as 25 or 30% of French people voted for Le Pen's party (National Front) at least once.  Other polls show that many French people think there are 'too many Arabs' in the country.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2004, 03:09:42 AM »

It's a love-hate relationship.

Things I like about the US:
1. It's TV programmes.
2. Its politics.
3. It's patriotism
4. The fact that most of Europe owes its freedom to you.
5. The scenery

Things I dislike:
1. Your military has no concept of subtlety.
2. The vitriol of your politics.
3. The 'America First' attitude of many of your politicians.
4. The stupid amount of time and money spent on elections.
5. Your lack of an NHS.

By the way, I have been to the US- New York in the late 1990s.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2004, 06:27:00 AM »

They hate us because:

1. They can't control us
2. We won't do things there way
3. They want us to listen to the UN even though it's corrupt and never does anything it says it will or hardly anything for the good of humanity. (Kyoto treaty: only Switzerland is following what it said)
4. We won't do things for THEIR monatary and economical gain

So basically Europe still thinks that they control the world and wants to do so to the US too.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2004, 10:07:52 PM »

I mostly agree with this post.  There is no quick fix.

If there was, a member of the Church of the Subgenious would know it.  And he would know that Bob will give us slack and Wode unto those who cannot eat flaming molten steel for breakfast every morning.

fb
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2004, 07:56:38 AM »

There was hatred of the US before Bush and there will be afterwards.

I'm sure that most POTUSes have ended up being burned in effigy at least once.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2004, 04:50:51 PM »

Canadians favor Kerry 60%-30%.

Russia Favors Kerry 4 to 1

Europe favors Kerry 90%

The Middle East kills Americans when it gets a chance

"What about Poland?" I don't know, not sure what they think about us.

I have never felt that they do.  I have spent a total of maybe one year of the past five either working or generally vacationing outside this country, and have made conversations with many foreigners, and have never reached that conclusions.

I don't question your data.  No doubt that most foreigners favor John Kerry over George Bush.  But the conclusions from the data you post aren't supported.  You like polling data?  take a look at polling data through the 90s.  Look at what the world thought of Bill Clinton (of course he's a big hero now that he's gone).  Take a look at polling data from the 80s, and see what folks abroad thought of Reagan. 

What folks generally complain about, to me, when I'm abroad is US foreign policy.  Peruvians in Peru have been bitter for some time, with good reason, as have Palestinians in the occupied terrirtorities, Mexicans in Mexico, etc.  Chinese, of course, are taught that we're a Paper Dragon, and that NO ONE is strong enough to stand up to the Great Chinese Dragon, including the USA, who (as North Korean and Chinese schoolchildren are taught) lost in ground war to China and Korea, and lost to a bunch of hillbillies with guns in Vietnam.  (yes, that's their position). 

While you may be on to some general point, or trend, your inductive reasoning inhibits you from drawing any real conclusions.  Sure, many Mexicans, Germans, French, Iraqis, etc., will blame every problem the world has ever experienced on Bush.  Just like some narrow-minded Americans will blame every problem on Bush.  This isn't a phenomenon that separates foreigners from Americans.  But the world doesn't hate you.  Get over yourself, man.  Turn that frown upside down.

turn off the television and get out sometime.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2004, 05:14:52 PM »

Canadians favor Kerry 60%-30%.

Russia Favors Kerry 4 to 1

Europe favors Kerry 90%

The Middle East kills Americans when it gets a chance

"What about Poland?" I don't know, not sure what they think about us.

I have never felt that they do.  I have spent a total of maybe one year of the past five either working or generally vacationing outside this country, and have made conversations with many foreigners, and have never reached that conclusions.

I don't question your data.  No doubt that most foreigners favor John Kerry over George Bush.  But the conclusions from the data you post aren't supported.  You like polling data?  take a look at polling data through the 90s.  Look at what the world thought of Bill Clinton (of course he's a big hero now that he's gone).  Take a look at polling data from the 80s, and see what folks abroad thought of Reagan. 

What folks generally complain about, to me, when I'm abroad is US foreign policy.  Peruvians in Peru have been bitter for some time, with good reason, as have Palestinians in the occupied terrirtorities, Mexicans in Mexico, etc.  Chinese, of course, are taught that we're a Paper Dragon, and that NO ONE is strong enough to stand up to the Great Chinese Dragon, including the USA, who (as North Korean and Chinese schoolchildren are taught) lost in ground war to China and Korea, and lost to a bunch of hillbillies with guns in Vietnam.  (yes, that's their position). 

While you may be on to some general point, or trend, your inductive reasoning inhibits you from drawing any real conclusions.  Sure, many Mexicans, Germans, French, Iraqis, etc., will blame every problem the world has ever experienced on Bush.  Just like some narrow-minded Americans will blame every problem on Bush.  This isn't a phenomenon that separates foreigners from Americans.  But the world doesn't hate you.  Get over yourself, man.  Turn that frown upside down.

turn off the television and get out sometime.
You hit it the nail right on the head (or whatever it's called in English). I could not have said it better.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies