Illinois 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:53:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Illinois 2010  (Read 12742 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »

Unless Ron Kirk runs I don't give a crap who runs or wins. I hate the IL GOP. Ron Kirk is one of the only 2 good Republicans in the whole state.

I have never heard of a Ron Kirk before? I have heard of a Mark Kirk though. Is that who you are refering to?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 11:55:29 AM »

Unless Ron Kirk runs I don't give a crap who runs or wins. I hate the IL GOP. Ron Kirk is one of the only 2 good Republicans in the whole state.

I have never heard of a Ron Kirk before? I have heard of a Mark Kirk though. Is that who you are refering to?

Though Ron Kirk would've made a great senator. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Kirk

You had your chance, Texas. Now you got "Big John".
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »

Though Ron Kirk would've made a great senator. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Kirk

You had your chance, Texas. Now you got "Big John".

Now I remember him.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 08:23:04 PM »

Yea. Im eant Mark Kirk.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »

shocker: Madigan running for reelection as AG.

And with that, Kennedy and Mark Kirk are set to announce.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0709/Big_news_out_of_Illinois.html
http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/0709/Kirk_running_for_the_Senate.html
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »

I'd say it's a surprise but not a shocker. As I've noted earlier the Senate isn't a great fit given her family and state campaign fund. The protracted budget mess leaves the Gov's mansion less attractive for 2011 than it would have appeared a couple months ago. Petitions can circulate in four weeks so a decision was needed to free up the Dem field. The state has awaited her decision, and now the dominoes can fall.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »

I'd say it's a surprise but not a shocker. As I've noted earlier the Senate isn't a great fit given her family and state campaign fund. The protracted budget mess leaves the Gov's mansion less attractive for 2011 than it would have appeared a couple months ago. Petitions can circulate in four weeks so a decision was needed to free up the Dem field. The state has awaited her decision, and now the dominoes can fall.

Is this real or am I imagining this? If it is real then Kirk has my instant endorsement.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »

Who picks up Kirk's house district now?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »

Probably some Democrat. However considering we are far done in the minority I think it might be a tad easier to hold then lets say if it were open in 2006 or something. If we can find a moderate State Sen or Rep with a lot of Dough we would have a good chance of holding it. Thankfully Obama isn't atop the ticket in 2010.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »

On the D side State Sen Michael Bond has already announced, and State Sen Susan Garrett may also jump in. State Rep Beth Coulson is often mentioned on the R side since she consistently wins in a 60% D district and would likely appeal to Kirk's crossover base.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2009, 05:05:36 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

On the D side State Sen Michael Bond has already announced, and State Sen Susan Garrett may also jump in. State Rep Beth Coulson is often mentioned on the R side since she consistently wins in a 60% D district and would likely appeal to Kirk's crossover base.

How ironic that Coulson district is almost the same in terms of partisanship too Kirk's district(Which also ironically voted almost as Democratic as the State as a whole). Obama got 61% there in his district I think. She is also a female of course and I would guess she would be fairly moderate to win her current constituency. How good is she at fundraising?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »

How ironic that Coulson district is almost the same in terms of partisanship too Kirk's district(Which also ironically voted almost as Democratic as the State as a whole). Obama got 61% there in his district I think. She is also a female of course and I would guess she would be fairly moderate to win her current constituency. How good is she at fundraising?

Top drawer. She generated over 400K for her reelection in 2008.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 05:13:30 PM »

No shocker, Democrats already have viable candidates in Pat Quinn and Ginnoulious for those respective offices.   Bill Daley did the honorable thing and stepped aside as well. Let's give Quinn a chance, once he has a running mate he would be stronger.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 05:16:34 PM »

Top drawer. She generated over 400K for her reelection in 2008.

Even better. I pray she wins the primary.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 05:19:30 PM »

I'd vote for Kirk most likely.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 07:34:05 PM »

Well there goes my prediction that Lisa Madigan will run for president in 2016.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2009, 07:59:08 PM »

Kirk vs. Alexi.  Damn the Republicans are having ridiculous recruiting success lately.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 08:06:47 PM »

Kirk vs. Alexi.  Damn the Republicans are having ridiculous recruiting success lately.

The GOP has learned its lesson, at least in that regard.

Simmons
Crist
Kirk

If Ayotte runs I would say the Republicans have won the recruitment battle. Shame we couldn't find someone better in MO though.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2009, 10:49:16 PM »

and don't forget that Grayson is outraising Bunning, who isn't meeting his own fundraising goals to stay in the race (though he claims, probably falsely, that he is still in it)

the Democrats look to be picking up Melancon, which would be a coup about on the level of Kirk

y'all have only bombed in Nevada recruiting, understandable since half of the GOP political and fundraising establishment there is backing Reid

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2009, 11:09:55 PM »

and don't forget that Grayson is outraising Bunning, who isn't meeting his own fundraising goals to stay in the race (though he claims, probably falsely, that he is still in it)

the Democrats look to be picking up Melancon, which would be a coup about on the level of Kirk

y'all have only bombed in Nevada recruiting, understandable since half of the GOP political and fundraising establishment there is backing Reid

Its not are fault Reid has become TSAR of the Nevada Empire. Who wouldn't support Reid if the alternative is Jail?

I would also say Missouri is another failure since Blunt is horrible and Steelman is too much like another Sarah we all know to well. If we could get a Todd Aiken or Sam Graves that would a recruiting Coup.

I forgot about Kentucky.

You forgot about North Carolina, unless the recent talk of Cooper running proved to be false yet again.

I think that Cornyn should seriously consider doing something about Vitter. I mean they are both highly Conservative, he should go and tell him that him running again would help advance the radical GAy agenda or something Smiley. You know, whatever works.

The last state that may turnout to be a huge success in recuiting though he probably is running on his own, is Frazier in Colorado. We will have to wait in see though. Compared to 2008 where the only recuiting coups were Johanns and Risch, and 2006 when some fools considered Kean Jr a Recruiting coup, I would say we are doing much, much better this time.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 12:59:14 AM »

I can't help but think that Kirk is favored to lose at this point, even if he is the best candidate and Alexi might have some ethical problems

Barack Obama bucked the party establishment in order to campaign for Alexi before, as they are good friends. I know he's president now and things are different, but I'd have an extremely hard time believing he wouldn't cut Alexi at least a great ad or two or that such ads wouldn't be fairly effective

But even a 40% at picking up this seat is amazing for the GOP, and Kirk is clean and has a great biography
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »

Kirk will NOT run

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2009/07/10/kirk_will_not_run_for_illinois_senate_seat.html
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 04:52:25 PM »

There are concerns about Kirk's recent divorce, could be some messy details coming out if he decides to run for Senate.

Should be interesting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 05:16:57 PM »

Apparently, IL GOP Chairman Andy McKenna - who was trying to recruit Kirk - is contemplating a run himself - http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2009/07/the_latest_on_mark_kirk_runnin.html

McKenna ran in the 2004 primary. He was my second choice back then. I have no doubt that I agree with him more than I agree with Kirk so I won't I'll at least be personally happy with the nominee if Kirk doesn't run.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies