Is astrology worthless?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:47:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Is astrology worthless?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is astrology worthless?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Is astrology worthless?  (Read 8698 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2009, 04:09:15 AM »

Yes, it is 100% bullsh!t. I don't like it when people get PC and are like 'Well, it might be right about some things." It's garbage, period. The only horoscopes of any value at all is The Onion's.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:12:03 AM »

Astrology is completely worthless.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »

Astrology has entertainment value even if it is false, so no, it is not worthless.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »

What sign are you BRTD?
My guess would be LEO.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:21 PM »

Yes, it is 100% bullsh!t. I don't like it when people get PC and are like 'Well, it might be right about some things." It's garbage, period. The only horoscopes of any value at all is The Onion's.

Horoscopes are not astrology.

Almost 90% of the people I know actually do match their astrological profile.  I'm not saying it happens for the reasons that "you Venus was in Cancer" but... I find it oddly convincing.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »

Yes.

Almost 90% of the people I know actually do match their astrological profile.  I'm not saying it happens for the reasons that "you Venus was in Cancer" but... I find it oddly convincing.

I'm curious then, so what do you think my sign is?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2009, 03:27:14 PM by Torie »

Yep. It is also as boring as hell, which is its main "fail."

Has anyone asked someone what their sign is as a pick-up line?  Does that joke have any reality out there?  Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 02:41:18 PM »

Yep. It is also as boring as hell, which is its main "fail."

Has anyone asked somewhat what their sign is as a pick-up line?  Does that joke have any reality out there?  Smiley

Can't say that that's happened, but I do remember once being asked my birthdate and her first reaction being, "Oh, you're a ______."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 03:03:26 PM »

Yes.

Ummm... I honestly don't know enough about you, dude.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »

Yes.

Fair enough. It occurred to me after asking that it might be hard to tell details about someone's personality over the internet.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »

Yes.

Fair enough. It occurred to me after asking that it might be hard to tell details about someone's personality over the internet.

I can tell you that air signs, or people with a strong presence of air signs in their chart generally have the strongest leanings toward libertarianism.  So, Aquarius, Gemini and Libra, then, although Libras are usually the most conservative of that group.  Also, fire signs tend to be quite libertarian, if given the proper configuration in the rest of their chart, that would be Aries, Leo and Sagittarius, but Aries tends to be extremely selfish, and all of them are egotistical.  Aries, in particular can be extremely dictatorial, given the right conditions... and I am not just saying that because Hitler was one.  Aries and Taurus are the ultimate "my way of the highway" signs but Aries tends to be far more arrogant about it, where as Taurus is just stubborn.

The other signs all tend towards authoritarianism, generally in the form of "rules and structure."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »

I'm a Sagittarius, so so much for the libertarian theory.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 03:30:40 PM »

What is your birthday?  I mean year and everything.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »

Yes.

I can tell you that air signs, or people with a strong presence of air signs in their chart generally have the strongest leanings toward libertarianism.  So, Aquarius, Gemini and Libra, then, although Libras are usually the most conservative of that group.  Also, fire signs tend to be quite libertarian, if given the proper configuration in the rest of their chart, that would be Aries, Leo and Sagittarius, but Aries tends to be extremely selfish, and all of them are egotistical.  Aries, in particular can be extremely dictatorial, given the right conditions... and I am not just saying that because Hitler was one.  Aries and Taurus are the ultimate "my way of the highway" signs but Aries tends to be far more arrogant about it, where as Taurus is just stubborn.

The other signs all tend towards authoritarianism, generally in the form of "rules and structure."

I'm a member of one of the six more authoritarian signs, so that's a slight problem. Wink
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 04:03:35 PM »

What is your birthday?  I mean year and everything.

December 18, 1983
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »

Well, it provides an excellent example of the Barnum effect, and early astronomers got paid to watch the stars and were allowed to do science on the side...

But for the most part, useless or worse (if people actually use such misinformation to make decisions).
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 10:34:47 AM »

Well that proves astrology is 100% true. BRTD fits that sign perfectly.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »

I find that people who deny that astrology is true are extremely closed minded.
Before saying it is worthless you should check it out and have your chart done.
(I am very Scorpio by the way, you could say it is all a coincidence, however, I suppose)

To get your profile done:

http://www.astro.com/
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »

It is amusing when religious people criticize astrology, since religion is something for which there is no empirical evidence.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »

Do they ridicule it or believe it is some creation of the devil?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:28 AM »

I don't believe in astrology anymore, but I don't think it's worthless.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2009, 01:12:03 PM by Supersoulty »

Actually, BRTD, you sound alot like a Sagittarius, and I say that taking no account for personal bias.  When I said "Libertarian" I should have noted that I didn't necessarily mean political libertarian, simply that personally, fire and air signs tend to thrive more off of personal freedom to do want they want, where as water and earth signs are much more "rules, methods, and traditions oriented."

Coincidentally, you actually have the exact same birthday as a girl I used to date, and I didn't get along so well with her either, alot of the time.  Our relationship was helped by the fact that we could settle our differences face to face, and well, she had a vagina, and you don't.

http://www.astrology-online.com/sagittar.htm

I like the basic Sun sign profiles this site has, in that they are detailed, and the profiles don't all sound like variations of the same themes.

This is just sun sign astrology, though, which doesn't tell the who story... in fact, any good astrologer would tell you that astrology itself cannot really tell the whole story.

I have had my full chart done, and its what really convinced me that there might be something to astrology... though I could certainly never qualify it, scientifically, which bothers me.  But my chart was extremely accurate in really odd, random, and precise ways, right down to the fact that I would gain a significant inheritance from a great aunt on my mother's side.  But more in terms of personality, preferences, etc.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2009, 01:20:25 PM by Supersoulty »

In terms of planet placement, BRTD, your chart looks like this:

Moon in Gemini
Mercury in Capricorn
Venus in Scorpio
Mars in Libra
Jupiter in Sagittarius
Saturn in Scorpio

I would tell you what all that means, but I am not an "expert" and would be bound to make mistakes.

By comparison, mine look like this:

Sun in Aquarius
Moon in Taurus
Mercury in Capricorn
Venus in Capricorn
Mars in Scorpio
Jupiter in Sagittarius
Saturn in Scorpio
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 03:12:32 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2009, 03:16:54 PM by Supersoulty »

It is amusing when religious people criticize astrology, since religion is something for which there is no empirical evidence.

I actually don't find any Biblical basis for opposition to astrology.  In fact, if anything, the Christian scripture would seem to argue against the notion that there is anything inherently wrong with it.

The Magi were astrologers, in fact, "astrologer" and "Magi" meant pretty much the same thing.  The "star" they followed was a planetary alignment, whose significance they likely understood because of their knowledge of astrology.  They were probably Zoroastrians, but they were almost definitely not Jews.

In the OT, no one is ever punished for divination, which was everywhere in the ancient world, but what they were punished for, such as the case with Saul, was not trusting God, and consulting divination above God.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2009, 09:23:52 PM by Storebought »

This is what the site says about Virgos (my birthday is late August)

They are usually observant, shrewd, critically inclined, judicious, patient, practical supporters of the status quo, and tend toward conservatism in all departments of life. On the surface they are emotionally cold, and sometimes this goes deeper, for their habit of suppressing their natural kindness may in the end cause it to atrophy, with the result that they shrink from committing themselves to friendship, make few relationships, and those they do make they are careful to keep superficial.

Some of this is undeniably true, especially what the Astrologer considers negatives, like the tendancy to encourage friendships to wither away. But it is an observed fact that astrologers make claims so broad that, in certain instances, they must be true, if the querant has normal human emotions that express themselves naturally.

On the whole, astrology is less garbagy than other New Age mysticism, if only for its insight into the broad general types of human psychology. But I would argue that that insight arose only after psychology became an established academic pursuit that identified the types in the first place.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies