Divorced Couple Now Opposing Candidates to Replace Kendrick Meek
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:19:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Divorced Couple Now Opposing Candidates to Replace Kendrick Meek
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Divorced Couple Now Opposing Candidates to Replace Kendrick Meek  (Read 1160 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:55:15 AM »

Oh, those silly Haitians

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22622.html

Haitian-American political activists believe they are on the verge of electing the first Haitian-American to Congress in Florida’s Miami-based 17th District, which is home to the highest concentration of Haitians in the nation.

But they are also fearful that so many Haitian-American candidates will enter the open-seat race to succeed Rep. Kendrick Meek (D-Fla.) that the community’s vote will splinter and a historic opportunity will be squandered.

It’s a dynamic that has played out over and over in local city council races around the Haitian enclave of Miami Gardens, the largest city in the district.

Indeed, three Haitian-American candidates have already prepared to run, including former state Rep. Phillip Brutus, state Rep. Yolly Roberson and community activist Marleine Bastien — all of whom have political bases within the district.

Brutus, the first Haitian-American elected to the state Legislature, said he is working to clear the field because it’s impossible to win the nomination unless one candidate wins the community’s full backing.
“The community has spoken loud and clear that we’re tired of this division and want to have one person representing the community,” Brutus said. “And the pendulum seems to be swinging my way.”

His efforts could be complicated by one inconvenient fact: Roberson is his ex-wife, and the two have become intense political rivals. Roberson, who represents the state House seat that Meek held in the Legislature, has been able to win support from both the African-American and Haitian-American communities.

“When it comes to political things, it gets very testy — particularly for this race. I think she feels like I’m the hurdle she has to clear to become the congresswoman,” Brutus said. “An ex-wife syndrome is a complex syndrome. I’ve been a lawyer longer than her, and she got elected because of my name. And yet she thinks she’s better than me.”

Read more: "First Haitian-American may clench seat of Florida's 17th district - Josh Kraushaar - POLITICO.com" - http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22622.html#ixzz0Fw9TMkU2&A

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »

*cough*IRV*cough*

Although, of course, crowded primaries + minorities + ex-spouses = months of entertainment
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:09:29 AM »

The other night I had a Presbyterian minister sit down when I was eating at a restaurant.  After niceties and a brief conversation about school, his ex-wife was mentioned.  The next 30 minutes was a pop-psychology explanation of "the Blame Game" and how much she loved playing it.  Talking about ex-anything makes some people crazy.

And if that quote is any suggestion, Brutus is one of those people.  This should be fun Cheesy Or painfully sad.  Or both.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 03:13:59 AM »

Doesn't Florida have primary runoffs?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:19:28 AM »

Not any more, they were eliminated in 2001.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »

This is like, the 4th or 5th most Democratic district in the country? I hope we get someone good...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies