Specter to switch parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:47:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Specter to switch parties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Specter to switch parties  (Read 41733 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »

The Republican party needs more like him, but I'm glad he's decided to leave the dark side.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2009, 03:09:59 PM »

Welcome to the Democratic Party, Mr. Specter.  You can check your cloak there on the left.  Things you need to know:

1.  The Democratic Party loves our friends across the Atlantic, but at present does not consider the USA as functioning under Scottish Common Law.

2.  To get the reputation of a "pro-labor Republican" all you need to do is not bash unions every time you mention them.  Pro-labor Democrat requires your voting with them occasionally.

3.  The Democratic Party admires the ingenuity of the firearms industry, but doubts that they are impressive enough to create a single bullet that will inflict three bullet wounds on two different people.

Thank you, and enjoy your stay.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »

Specter's own words: “I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate.”

Translation: I have slighted and flat out betrayed my loyal Republican constituents over 29 years one time too many and they won't put up with it any longer. I must therefore leave the party, retire from politics or end my career with a humiliating primary defeat. If the economy tanks more like I think it will this is going to be fun...

flat out betrayed? Seems more like the party betrayed him to me.

Roll Eyes

Yeah, we betrayed him all right. Notice how you refuse to acknowledge how Specter kept going on and on about he was a Republican a month ago and tried pandering to us, only to conveniently change his mind when he saw that he'd be crushed.

No acknowledgment that Specter, at the very least, lied about switching.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »

Rush Limbaugh is now advocating that McCain switch next.  Do you agree with that Phil?

I wonder what Olympia Snowe is thinking.

Probably: "No Democrat can beat me in the general election, and no Republican can beat me in the primary even when I generally support Obama. So I'll keep voting as I please."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2009, 03:14:21 PM »

Specter is not switching to the Democrat Party, he is returning to it.  Remember, after he lost won his 1965 race for District Attorney as a Democrat, he switched to Republican.

Wrong

He wasn't getting the backing of the local Dems so he had to leave. He won the GOP backing and "stuck with us" until today.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »

Democrats are like an ugly girl who needs a prom date: They'll take anyone.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid should htmldon feel right now for backing Specter over Toomey in 2004?  I say... about a 47.  Kerry & Specter for working families!

Don has been a child and avoided the topic except for one time when he tried to justify it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It will be great. This guy is the worst panderer in PA political history.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »

Specter's own words: “I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate.”

Translation: I have slighted and flat out betrayed my loyal Republican constituents over 29 years one time too many and they won't put up with it any longer. I must therefore leave the party, retire from politics or end my career with a humiliating primary defeat. If the economy tanks more like I think it will this is going to be fun...

Roll Eyes

Yeah, we betrayed him all right. Notice how you refuse to acknowledge how Specter kept going on and on about he was a Republican a month ago and tried pandering to us, only to conveniently change his mind when he saw that he'd be crushed.

you don't believe that Specter was well aware that he would lose a month ago?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »

Specter is not switching to the Democrat Party, he is returning to it.  Remember, after he lost won his 1965 race for District Attorney as a Democrat, he switched to Republican.

Wrong

He wasn't getting the backing of the local Dems so he had to leave. He won the GOP backing and "stuck with us" until today.

he still ran as a registered Democrat. Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »

Roll Eyes

you don't believe that Specter was well aware that he would lose a month ago?

Oh, I do. The point I'm making is that he lied when he made that statement about being a Republican and running as a Republican in 2010. You guys are conveniently ignoring that.

Wrong

he still ran as a registered Democrat. Wink

Uh...I don't know about that. Whatever the case, he only had a chance at our nomination, won it and switched over.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »

The Facebook and Conservative website comments are amazing.  Our own activists want to give away Snowe, Collins, McCain, Alexander, Gov. Schwarzenegger, to the Dems.

This is insanity.

Irrelevant. Stop trying to change the subject.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »

I'll be bumping this with Democrat-Republican-Democrat Specter/Specter campaign quotes...

"Without Senator Specter's seat in the Senate, which Mr. Toomey would certainly lose, there would no longer be 41 Republican Senators to filibuster and stop the Democrats from passing card check, raising taxes, and implementing President Obama's massive spending plans," said Nicholas [Specter's Campaign Manager].

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »

the more I think about it, I don't understand why the PA Dems agreed to clear the field for Specter... I suppose they felt that in a three-way race with Specter (I), the Dem candidate would be at a disadvantage, but Toomey vs whomever would have been strong lean or so
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2009, 03:26:21 PM »

The Facebook and Conservative website comments are amazing.  Our own activists want to give away Snowe, Collins, McCain, Alexander, Gov. Schwarzenegger, to the Dems.

This is insanity.

How is the fact that our Party is going to be reduced to two redneck drunks sitting outside a trailer somewhere in Alabama irrelevant to this subject?  That is until one of the drunks accuses the other drunk of being a RINO, and Jimbo the drunk becomes America's last Republican.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2009, 03:26:38 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/28/snowe-gop-has-abandoned-p_n_192368.html
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »

So far, she said, she's staying put. "I believe in the traditional tenets of the Republican Party: strong national defense, fiscal responsibility, individual opportunity. I haven't abandoned those principles that have been the essence of the Republican Party. I think the Republican Party has abandoned those principles.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »

the more I think about it, I don't understand why the PA Dems agreed to clear the field for Specter... I suppose they felt that in a three-way race with Specter (I), the Dem candidate would be at a disadvantage, but Toomey vs whomever would have been strong lean or so

Rendell likes Specter, and the two are political allies. Also, having defected, Specter will move further towards the Democrats. (Party matters a lot more than you would expect on votes, even for "moderates".)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:43 PM »

This is insanity.

Getting rid of McCain and Alexander would be ridiculus and going after Collins and Snowe would be counterproductive. Schwarzenegger is term-limited anyway. Sometimes the base goes a little too far and gets ahead of itself.

Specter is nothing but a self serving scumbag who once again acted in his electoral best interests and threw out any principles he had left. I hope he is happy back where he belongs.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2009, 03:35:45 PM »

Specter is nothing but a self serving scumbag who once again acted in his electoral best interests

This may well be true.

But this clearly isn't.

...as you yourself acknowledge.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »

(Party matters a lot more than you would expect on votes, even especially for "moderates".)
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »

Obviously as a crazy liberal, I am not too pleased. This just destroyed the possibility of Senator Schwartz or Sestak. However, as a Democrat, I am quite happy. Nothing reinforces a story like 1/3 of the moderate Republican Senate Caucus bolting. Even if he doesn't vote with us one iota more than he did previously, its worth the embarassment of the Republicans.

Since Michael Steele became chair, they've lost a Senate seat and an opportunity at a House seat. Never leave Michael!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »

Specter was first elected to the senate in 1980. Whose ideology has changed considerably since then: Specter or the GOP itself? Can anyone seriously answer "Specter"? Especially in the last 10 years? The GOP left Specter (along with several hundred thousand other moderate ex-PA Republicans), not vice-versa.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »

Obviously as a crazy liberal, I am not too pleased.

Crazy liberals prefer not to have health care reform get past a filibuster?
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »

Obviously as a crazy liberal, I am not too pleased.

Crazy liberals prefer not to have health care reform get past a filibuster?

They were going to pass it without putting it to vote on the floor. Republicans wouldn't have been able to filibuster anyway.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2009, 03:46:47 PM »

Nothing reinforces a story like 1/3 of the moderate Republican Senate Caucus bolting.

The reality of that statement is just hilarious.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:20 PM »

Haha! I'm no fan of Specter, but this is a savage blow to the GOP. Hopefully we can get one or two others to switch, just to demoralize and isolate the Repubs further.

"When your opponent is drowning, you throw the son of a bitch an anvil."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies