Specter to switch parties (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:14:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Specter to switch parties (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Specter to switch parties  (Read 41996 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« on: April 28, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »

any chance this is really true?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:13:59 AM »

Amazing
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:23:42 AM »

Specter has said that he wil not change his position on card check.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »

Sad day in that it reflects the changed (or changing) political landscape in this country.

Hmmph.

It is kind of sad to see all the moderates leave the party.....

out of interest, does this party switch affect your vote?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »

Specter's own words: “I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate.”

Translation: I have slighted and flat out betrayed my loyal Republican constituents over 29 years one time too many and they won't put up with it any longer. I must therefore leave the party, retire from politics or end my career with a humiliating primary defeat. If the economy tanks more like I think it will this is going to be fun...

flat out betrayed? Seems more like the party betrayed him to me.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 01:53:05 PM »

Specter is likely to move to the left on votes, I guess, at least until the primary next year.

I mean...let's get real, he is a politician....and despite my admiration for him as a senator....I don't think he'll hesitate to give Democrats some of the votes they want.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »

Specter's own words: “I have traveled the State, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate.”

Translation: I have slighted and flat out betrayed my loyal Republican constituents over 29 years one time too many and they won't put up with it any longer. I must therefore leave the party, retire from politics or end my career with a humiliating primary defeat. If the economy tanks more like I think it will this is going to be fun...

He groveled for cash and they supplied it to him. Then he thumbed his nose at them and a large number of his constituents highly publicly, on issue after issue. Now when people are tired of him repeatedly ignoring their requests on everything from immigration to the stimulus, he's bowing out and pretending it's due to some profound realization. Give me a ing break.

Seems that during such a long time in the Senate, the party would have eventually stopped supporting him if they didn't feel he sufficiently represented their views...but no, they kept on sending him there....although 2004 was certainly the first indication of that changing.

I don't dispute that Specter's change today is entirely politically motivated....but given the circumstances, it's his best chance of surviving. And look, it's not like the GOP has really treated him all that well. Calling someone "Comrade of the Month" is not the best way of dealing with disagreements.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 02:53:42 PM »

Specter is not switching to the Democrat Party, he is returning to it.  Remember, after he lost won his 1965 race for District Attorney as a Democrat, he switched to Republican.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:16:45 PM »

Roll Eyes

Yeah, we betrayed him all right. Notice how you refuse to acknowledge how Specter kept going on and on about he was a Republican a month ago and tried pandering to us, only to conveniently change his mind when he saw that he'd be crushed.
No acknowledgment that Specter, at the very least, lied about switching.

you don't believe that Specter was well aware that he would lose a month ago?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »

Specter is not switching to the Democrat Party, he is returning to it.  Remember, after he lost won his 1965 race for District Attorney as a Democrat, he switched to Republican.

Wrong

He wasn't getting the backing of the local Dems so he had to leave. He won the GOP backing and "stuck with us" until today.

he still ran as a registered Democrat. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies