BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:34:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: BREAKING: MSNBC reports Sotomayor next SCOTUS justice  (Read 23281 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 26, 2009, 09:32:55 PM »

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/05/26/rnc-fumbles-sotomayor-talking-points/

Whoops. The Republican National Committee (RNC) has apparently inadvertently released its list of talking points on the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court.

Included on the released list were a few hundred influential Republicans who were the intended recipients of the talking points. Unfortunately for the RNC, so were members of the media.

That's an easy mistake to make, to mistake some members of the media for members of the RNC.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #226 on: May 26, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »

Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:42 PM »

Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!  Jew!

Ok, enough already. Seriously.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »

I am pleased that there will finally be a second Latino on the Supreme Court(haha no one has heard of Benjamin Cardozo?).

Cardozo was a Sephardi Jew of Portuguese descent, i.e. not a Latino.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2009, 09:50:31 PM »

I am pleased that there will finally be a second Latino on the Supreme Court(haha no one has heard of Benjamin Cardozo?).

Even the Portuguese connection is very tenuous: the family left the Iberian peninsula for the Netherlands during the Inquisition, then went to England, and then came to America before the Revolution.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2009, 09:50:58 PM »

Who says Jews can't be Latinos at the same time? Wink
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »

Even the Portuguese connection is very tenuous: the family left the Iberian peninsula for the Netherlands during the Inquisition, then went to England, and then came to America before the Revolution.
Hey come on man, my race doesn't have very many accomplishments in this country. Tongue
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2009, 09:56:45 PM »

Hey come on man, my race doesn't have very many accomplishments in this country. Tongue

Hispanics are not a race.  And the Portuguese are obviously not Hispanic.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2009, 10:11:36 PM »

Hispanics are not a race.  And the Portuguese are obviously not Hispanic.
They are generally somewhat of a culture though and almost all Hispanics share Spanish blood(not a common trait really). The Portuguese count to an extent, I think.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »

This might have been discussed already, but the only thing (other than the affirmative action elements to Obama's stated criteria in choosing a nominee, although Sotomayor certainly seems well qualified, so I'm not as concerned at this point) that concerns me is her opinion in Ricci v. DeStefano.  Does anyone have any insights on this?  I haven't seen much analysis of this decision, perhaps since the case is still pending before the Supreme Court.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »

This might have been discussed already, but the only thing (other than the affirmative action elements to Obama's stated criteria in choosing a nominee, although Sotomayor certainly seems well qualified, so I'm not as concerned at this point) that concerns me is her opinion in Ricci v. DeStefano.  Does anyone have any insights on this?  I haven't seen much analysis of this decision, perhaps since the case is still pending before the Supreme Court.

There's really nothing wrong with AA when it comes to Supreme Court appointments IMO.  I think it's actually a good thing.  I'm against making appointments based on race or other criteria when it comes to Cabinet positions, but that's because every secretary has a specific job and you must pick the best person.  Everyone on the Supreme Court however does the same job, so I think it is right that everyone is represented.

The firefighters case bothers me too to be honest.  It really depends though on the reasons why she reached that decision.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #236 on: May 26, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »

The firefighters case is probably going to be overturned because of Kennedy, I suspect.  So her inclusion on the court would be irrelevant in that matter.

Still trying to figure out what race has to do with any of this.  She's qualified to be an SC justice.  I've already given my opinion as to what her impact will be.  That I feel fairly confident about.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #237 on: May 26, 2009, 10:46:08 PM »

The firefighters case is probably going to be overturned because of Kennedy, I suspect.  So her inclusion on the court would be irrelevant in that matter.

Still trying to figure out what race has to do with any of this.  She's qualified to be an SC justice.  I've already given my opinion as to what her impact will be.  That I feel fairly confident about.

I suspect this is your opinion summarized?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #238 on: May 26, 2009, 10:48:58 PM »

Erwin Chemerinsky disagrees with you on the persuasiveness and quality of writing thing: http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2009/05/26/why-sotomayor-is-such-a-good-pick.aspx

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »

I suspect this is your opinion summarized?

David Frum is an idiot.  I believe I have given my opinion on Sotomayor in other posts.  I don't know whether to believe Rosen's piece or not, so my opinion is not based on that.  One thing is also for sure - we're sadly not going to get any reexamination of eminent domain precedent with Sotomayor involved.

Honestly, unless I missed someone, I didn't believe that any of the possible appointees had enough power to overcome Roberts' influence of Kennedy.  You have to remember that where Kennedy is often the most agreeable to listening to the liberal wing's point of view is in terms of individual rights.  But he is still fundamentally a conservative, especially on the issues of race and abortion, in which I don't believe his opinions have changed much in the past 20 years, even when Scalia was hectoring him and when O'Connor was there for possible influence otherwise. 

Moreover, the individual rights support where good in some areas for the left (i.e. gay rights) is not good in other areas (i.e. 2nd Amendment, campaign contributions).

Furthermore, I disagree with Frum in that I think Kennedy has moved back to the right a good deal since Roberts got on the Court.  I think that key to that is that Roberts has really toned down Scalia's opinions.  During Rehnquist's reign, you would see Scalia often get assigned an opinion where he would write something extreme and never get the 5 votes necessary because Kennedy would revolt on something.  I'm seeing a lot, lot less of that now.

While we're talking about this, it is kind of amusing to see the left (and right too) in complete ignorance of the most important shift in the Court that's occurred in the last five years (which was on display in another opinion today) or so.  Scalia is basically, with the help of the Stevens/Ginsburg/Souter/Thomas alliance on one hand and the traditional right vs. left alliance on another, remaking and rewriting a lot of the criminal procedure constitutional interpretation in his own image.

I don't have any problems with this, since a lot of the post-Warren court jurisprudence in criminal procedure is confusing, to say the least (and I think Scalia has the best ideas).  But it is kind of amazing that it gets no publicity.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »

Erwin Chemerinsky disagrees with you on the persuasiveness and quality of writing thing: http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/archive/2009/05/26/why-sotomayor-is-such-a-good-pick.aspx

Chemerinsky writes a good Con Law hornbook information-wise, but quite frankly I found his writing style to be boring and academic.

If I am so picky about this area, it is because I consider legal persuasiveness to be one of the strong points in my legal writing. (and am not the only one).  Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2009, 12:06:07 AM »

I am not thrilled by this appointment but I am pleased that there will finally be a second Latino on the Supreme Court(haha no one has heard of Benjamin Cardozo?). I am mostly happy with her desicions on the Court of Appeals too.

I had a nice chat with a friend of mine about the Cardozo thing earlier.  The end result was the decision that this guy:

is a pretty hard sell as a Hispanic, not least of which because of his Portuguese ancestry.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14:09 AM »

The only thing Hispanic about Cardozo is his name.  Portuguese in case someone didn't know is a different language than Spanish.  He's not Latino either. The term is meant to describe immigrants or descendants of immigrants from Latin America, not European countries like Portugal
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #243 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:28 AM »

The only thing Hispanic about Cardozo is his name.  Portuguese in case someone didn't know is a different language than Spanish.  He's not Latino either. The term is meant to describe immigrants or descendants of immigrants from Latin America, not European countries like Portugal

Hispanic is a made up race anyway, a complete creation of the US Census Bureau.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #244 on: May 27, 2009, 01:16:28 AM »

Hispanic is a made up race anyway, a complete creation of the US Census Bureau.

Except for the fact that it's not considered a race by the Census Bureau.

I agree that it shouldn't really be treated any differently than any other European nationality. I think the only reason it is really is because most Hispanics are relatively recent immigrants and thus less assimilated (100 years ago there was just as much "racism" against Italians or Irish or Scandanavians or any other "minority" from Europe), and because there's so many more of them due to Spain's colonization of nearly all of Central and South America.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #245 on: May 27, 2009, 01:20:11 AM »

Chemerinsky writes a good Con Law hornbook information-wise, but quite frankly I found his writing style to be boring and academic.

If I am so picky about this area, it is because I consider legal persuasiveness to be one of the strong points in my legal writing. (and am not the only one).  Smiley

Well, perhaps in 25 years you will be chosen for the Court, Sam. Wink
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2009, 11:27:51 AM »

LMAO!!!!!

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/05/coleman-i-will-review-sotomayers-record-when-i-am-re-elected.php
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2009, 01:07:07 PM »

Last names, especially in the Americas, are not good predictors of ethnicity. My last name sounds Polish but I'm 75% German and 25% Dutch. Cardozo sounds Latin, but he was a Portuguese Jew. FWIW, the leader of the Chilean independence movement in the 19th Century was a man name Bernardo O'Higgins!
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2009, 12:16:57 AM »

One of my favorite Supreme Court writers, Linda Greenhouse, has a thoughtful editorial on how when a new Justice joins the Court, "you change the Court."  This is true, interestingly, even when the new and departing Justice hold similar views.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/opinion/27greenhouse.html

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2009, 02:31:53 AM »

I posted a good analysis of it in the "Is Sotomayor a centrist?" thread. It's worth noting that her decision did uphold precedent.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies