Drudge Reports blazes with "Did Kerry have Cheat sheet"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:42:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Drudge Reports blazes with "Did Kerry have Cheat sheet"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Drudge Reports blazes with "Did Kerry have Cheat sheet"  (Read 3220 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2004, 01:49:33 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2004, 02:39:40 PM by Dave Leip »

The Drudge Report

MOE = +/- 73.8%

Bill and Monica => Got it right
Rathergate => Got it right

John Kerry's "intern affair" => got it wrong...

The "got it wrong" list is a LOT longer than the "got it right" list

Here is a link to the <<cough>> smoking gun that <<cough>> "proves" Kerry brought in illegal materials

This Link

Here is a good link to the video - you get an ad first however Sad

This Link

This is the first I have seen of this... I guess my subscription to the vast right wing conspiracy lapsed..

Funny, I thought I had that on "autopay" along with my mortgage and car insurance...

From Dave:I put the links inside of the url bb code tag to keep the page width from scrolling too far.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 01:52:01 PM »

Drudge doesn't guarantee his stories. He tells people what is out there. He never claimed to be a triple-fact checking periodical.

I am by no means convinced anything illicit happened. But it's worth looking at.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 01:56:31 PM »

Drudge doesn't guarantee his stories. He tells people what is out there. He never claimed to be a triple-fact checking periodical.

I am by no means convinced anything illicit happened. But it's worth looking at.

Drudge is actually VERY careful legally...

Drudge never "reports"... he provides a link to <<xyz.com>> and says that "xyz" reports....

Even the "Bill and Monica" story was "Newsweek is working on a story about Bill and Monica...."
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 01:58:48 PM »

Umm, where's the proof? If you beleive this, then you should believe that Bush had an earpiece.
Pollwatch99

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 02:01:14 PM »

Drudge is actually VERY careful legally...

Drudge never "reports"... he provides a link to <<xyz.com>> and says that "xyz" reports....

Even the "Bill and Monica" story was "Newsweek is working on a story about Bill and Monica...."

If you watch the tape, Kerry took something out of his pocket and placed it on the podium.  That is clear.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 02:07:12 PM »

Kerry pulls something out, clearly.  Odds are it is innocuous.  Just say what it was and be done with it.  Apologize now, before this actually does become a story.  Remember memogate?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 02:07:50 PM »

Well, I didn't see anything about that until this video, but I did notice Kerry writing things down during the debate. 

Considering that I didn't read the ground rules for the debate, I didn't notice anything wrong with that first.

Stuff like this is sort of pointless to go after, unless your opponent proceeds to go after the debate and proclaim himself the winner.

Then you will have some sort of cause. 

The moment I saw the commercial Kerry made on that (proclaiming himself the winner and GWB a liar) I thought it was very, very stupid.

We'll see whether I'm right on that.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 02:08:23 PM »

I looked at the video and he VERY clearly did pull SOMETHING out of his pocket - it did not appear to be white (as in paper) at least to me.

My guess is he likely just brought his own pen in.

I have a very nice pen that was a gift from a friend many years ago, and I always use it for "big" events (signing contracts, etc)  My GUESS is that this (or something similar) is all it was by Kerry.

STUNNINGLY stupid though if the media picks up on it (which they will NOT BTW)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 02:09:21 PM »

Well, I didn't see anything about that until this video, but I did notice Kerry writing things down during the debate. 

Considering that I didn't read the ground rules for the debate, I didn't notice anything wrong with that first.

Stuff like this is sort of pointless to go after, unless your opponent proceeds to go after the debate and proclaim himself the winner.

Then you will have some sort of cause. 

The moment I saw the commercial Kerry made on that (proclaiming himself the winner and GWB a liar) I thought it was very, very stupid.

We'll see whether I'm right on that.
So only sore losers should complain?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 02:13:01 PM »

Nope, but Americans don't like gloaters.  That's the way the commercial appears and it leaves him open to crap like this.

Kerry should've just let the media keep talking about how he looked Presidential and let the Bush remarks slide by, because by changing the story he leaves himself open to attacks that can hurt on stuff he actually said during the debate.
Pollwatch99

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 02:24:55 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2004, 02:26:57 PM by Pollwatch99 »

I looked at the video and he VERY clearly did pull SOMETHING out of his pocket - it did not appear to be white (as in paper) at least to me.

I have a very nice pen that was a gift from a friend many years ago, and I always use it for "big" events (signing contracts, etc)  My GUESS is that this (or something similar) is all it was by Kerry.

Sorry, I'm not buying an innocent action, it was too slick.  He started reaching into his pocket with his back turned to the audience.  Maybe, it was a pen and maybe just an unfortunate moment to retrieve it but he seemed to glance at it when it was on the podium.  Strange thing to do to a pen
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 02:27:58 PM »

I have a very nice pen that was a gift from a friend many years ago, and I always use it for "big" events (signing contracts, etc)  My GUESS is that this (or something similar) is all it was by Kerry.

Sorry, I'm not buying an innocent action, it was too slick.  He started reaching into his pocket with his back turned to the audience.  Maybe, it was a pen and maybe just an unfortunate moment to retrieve it but he seemed to glance at it when it was on the podium.  Strange thing to do to a pen

The pens were supposed to be submitted in advance and be waiting on the podium.

Again, probably was just a pen or something.  Just say what it is and get it over with.
iosip
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 05:25:18 PM »

Nope, but Americans don't like gloaters.

no wonder the republicans are slipping in the polls.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 05:33:25 PM »

Sounds like a response to the 'bush earpiece' rumor floating about.

I see a similar lack of credibility on the part of both claims.
shankbear

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »

If sKerry got all that "substance" he yammered on about at the debate, it must have been a real dumbass who wrote it on his cheatsheet if there was one.   
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 06:54:22 PM »

The Kerry campaign has a chance to have some fun with this if the right wing media talking heads pick up on this. Would FOX, Rush, and Hannity try to see if this story has any legs to prop up there guy? I hope so, because these allegations are so ridiculous. The GOP will come across as whiny crybabies
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 07:48:36 PM »

My understanding was that both candidates could take notes, under the rules.  Kerry clearly was writing something during the debate.  My guess would be that it was a pen.

If it wasn't, the bloggers will have another field day.  Forgive me, but I doubt if Kerry is so stupid that he takes out a cheating device during a live broadcast seen by 50-60 million people.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2004, 07:56:23 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2004, 09:32:21 PM by Dave Leip »

Drudge linked to a video that had Bush unfolding a peice of paper he snuck in? Too funny. Anyways, face it, Kerry won.

link
Pollwatch99

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2004, 08:36:07 PM by Pollwatch99 »

My understanding was that both candidates could take notes, under the rules.  Kerry clearly was writing something during the debate.  My guess would be that it was a pen.

If it wasn't, the bloggers will have another field day.  Forgive me, but I doubt if Kerry is so stupid that he takes out a cheating device during a live broadcast seen by 50-60 million people.
It does look like paper from the freeze frame but who really knows at this point.  The fact that he removed it with his back to the audience and moderator suggests trying to hide it.   Look; Kerry kicked Bush's butt in the debate and it had nothing to do with the paper but everything to do with Bush.

However, this says something about Mr. Kerry's character.  He obviously knew the rules and prepared very throughly.  He knew the rules and broke them.  Do we have to get to the level of body searching candidates for the Presidency?  Disgusting action on his part.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

The man met with the enemy in a time of war. You put bringing a paper to a debate past him?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2004, 08:31:24 PM »

I haven't looked at this story...but I'm certain the candidates were allowed to write notes during the debate, which requires that they have paper and a pen.  So what is the controversy about?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 08:34:21 PM »

Well, supposedly they were supposed to have it there waiting for them.

Maybe Kerry was taking out his lucky Bugs Bunny pen. I don't really care.
Pollwatch99

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 08:35:06 PM »

I haven't looked at this story...but I'm certain the candidates were allowed to write notes during the debate, which requires that they have paper and a pen.  So what is the controversy about?
From Drudge

"Section 5, pages 4-5 of the binding "Memorandum of Understanding" that was negotiated and agreed upon by both political campaigns states:

"No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by either candidate.... Each candidate must submit to the staff of the Commission prior to the debate all such paper and any pens or pencils with which a candidate may wish to take notes during the debate, and the staff or commission will place such paper, pens and pencils on the podium..."

So what did Dem presidential contender John Kerry take out of his jacket as he approached the stage [with his back to the auditorium's audience]?"

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2004, 08:37:30 PM »

From Drudge

"Section 5, pages 4-5 of the binding "Memorandum of Understanding" that was negotiated and agreed upon by both political campaigns states:

"No props, notes, charts, diagrams, or other writings or other tangible things may be brought into the debate by either candidate.... Each candidate must submit to the staff of the Commission prior to the debate all such paper and any pens or pencils with which a candidate may wish to take notes during the debate, and the staff or commission will place such paper, pens and pencils on the podium..."

So what did Dem presidential contender John Kerry take out of his jacket as he approached the stage [with his back to the auditorium's audience]?"

It also says that the campaigns can't use video of the debate. Bush has some ad with video of the debate.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2004, 08:39:50 PM »

He has an ad out that mentions what Kerry said in it. It doesn't have the video in it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies