Kerry had a cheat sheet at debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:33:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Kerry had a cheat sheet at debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry had a cheat sheet at debate  (Read 3137 times)
qwerty
ghwbush
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2004, 05:02:50 PM »
« edited: October 03, 2004, 05:04:37 PM by RicDallas869 »

http://drudgereport.com/dnc57.htm
View Video>> http://drudgereport.com/kdn.wmv

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »

Oh for the love of God.  Drudge will really print any crap, won't he?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 07:00:55 PM »

The guy is crazy, and the fact that people take him seriously is disturbing.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 07:04:43 PM »

Well he was writing things down....I was listening to Jerry Doyle, and a guy called in about that very topic.  He said that back in the 60's it was considered an insult to be writing things down during a debate format such as that, because it distracts the audience from the speaker.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 07:10:09 PM »

Well he was writing things down....I was listening to Jerry Doyle, and a guy called in about that very topic.  He said that back in the 60's it was considered an insult to be writing things down during a debate format such as that, because it distracts the audience from the speaker.

You were allowed to have a pen and paper waiting for you at the podium.  that was allowed.
emergingDmajority1
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 07:11:12 PM »

oh cry me a river. you could see that bush also pulled something out of his pocket. They both seemed to be pulling out pens.
Mr. Fresh
faulfrisch
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 07:12:31 PM »

You were allowed to have a pen and paper waiting for you at the podium.  that was allowed.

I wouldn't know, I have no idea about 1960's Debate etiquette.  Just saying what they were talking about on the show.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 07:22:30 PM »

So waht if Kerry had a cheat sheet?  He still said nothing but nonsensical gobbledegook, and Bush should have been able to land about six different knock out blows.  I was sitting casually watching the thing with no debate prep and I had quicker, better rebuttals to Kerry.
Donovan
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 08:03:50 PM »

So waht if Kerry had a cheat sheet?  He still said nothing but nonsensical gobbledegook, and Bush should have been able to land about six different knock out blows.  I was sitting casually watching the thing with no debate prep and I had quicker, better rebuttals to Kerry.

And you still want to vote for the guy?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 08:06:13 PM »

And you still want to vote for the guy?

I don't care so much if has a quick wit, but if I think his policy prescriptions are superior.
TheCommentator
AL098
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 12:58:30 AM »

There's no better way to intentionally lose an election than to cheat obviously in front of 65 million people. For gawd's sakes, Kerry must have been out of school so long he does not know how to cheat. When you are in school taking a test, if you have a cheat sheet, you are only supposed to pull it out when the proctor is NOT looking. If the proctor is looking squarely as YOU the entire time, then you are screwed because the moment you take it out you are going to get flunked. Well guess what, the proctor is ONE person!! You do not "cheat" like that in front of 65 million people.

The most surprising this about this whole thing is that Drudge hasn't mentioned this point--- even if he DID cheat, it would be such an obvious self-suicide, as he was doing it on national TV, and his action was plainly visible, that it would be entirely IRRATIONAL, even if his IQ was -100. It would be like Nixon talking about the Watergate break-in in 1972 with an interview with Walter Cronkite.

"Oh, by the way Walter, some of my goons broke into the Watergate hotel...but I'm hoping none of your millions of viewers, nor anyone on the McGovern campaign, pick up on the fact that I just said that." So what was Drudge thinking about what Kerry was thinking?

Also I'm surprised that the person at the Kerry camp did not try to answer Drudge's question at all, but still agreed to the interview with Drudge. There must have been something that was said in that phone call that Drudge didn't put on his site. You don't accept an interview with someone just to make yourself look bad by hurling hollow taunts "see you at the inaguration" and give the other guy sh*t to write about.

All the things mentioned above--not whether cheating took place-- is the real mystery here. However, even if the allegations turn out to be 100% false, they are still worth being a big story. Politicos should have learned one thing from the past month... you can hurl whatever accusation you want, as long as it takes a few days to fact check and falsify, during that time the false accusation is in the media, it will settle in in voters' minds. Basically people will believe any lie as long as the media talks about it long enough.

Long Live New Media!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 06:09:28 AM »

Clutching at straws to excuse the President's poor performance.

Dave
qwerty
ghwbush
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 07:46:42 AM »

Maybe the President would have done as well as Kerry if he had a cheat sheet too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 12:41:23 PM »

big disappointment.  he came accross as lazy and ignorant, which is exactly the caricature his detractors try to paint of him.  Someone needs to light a fire under our boy's ass.  Hopefully he'll find a better sparring partner than the congressman who worked with him last time. 
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 06:08:14 PM »

Debaters not only can take notes during opponent's but are routinely expected to. As a debate coach, I expected to see the "flow chart" of my students' debate rounds after the debate. If they didn't have it, I started looking for replacements who could keep up.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 07:05:49 PM »

Yes, as a debater I always keep notes during my opponent's speech.  I believe I remember Bush doing the same, though I can't swear to it
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 08:15:12 PM »

The debate rules allowed note taking.  You had to submit the pen and paper to the comission in advance.  It would be waiting for you at the podium.

Taking something out of your pocket at the podium would be a violation of the rules.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 10:02:12 PM »

Maybe the President would have done as well as Kerry if he had a cheat sheet too.

So having cheat seat would have enabled him to not call terrorists a group of folks? Or enabled him to do something other than stare blankly into the camera for 3 seconds?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004, 10:06:16 PM »

This is a no go, guys.

Fox News... yeah, that's right Fox News the supposed vehicle for the vast right-wing conspiracy has confirmed by examining camera angles that the "cheat sheet" was, in fact, just a pen that Kerry pulled out of his pocket.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2004, 10:07:06 PM »

Terrorists are a group of folks.

Man, history will look back at Bush as a real chracter...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies