UK: Margaret Thatcher (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:34:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK: Margaret Thatcher (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK: Margaret Thatcher  (Read 12253 times)
English

« on: November 28, 2003, 04:50:16 AM »

I completely agree that Britain desperately needed overhauling from the 1970's. A lot of her economic reforms in hindsight were actually very good. The thing I dislike intensely about Margeret Thatcher and the 80's Tories in general was their stance on social issues. They liberated the nation economically, but stifled it socially. They introduced all manner of horrid policies (section 28 etc.) and made some dreadfully racist remarks (Norman Tebbit's famous remark about cricket stands out to me). They also came across as generally vindictive and downright hostile to the poor and unemployed. I remember well Norman Tebbit telling unemployed people to get on their bikes and find a job, right after his government had closed down most of the UK's heavy industry. How callous is that? If they had pursued a different social policy rather than the rabidly reactionary, racist, homophobic, people hating one they adopted I might have a more favourable attitude.
English

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:36:19 AM »

Sorry, the dire social policies of the Thatcher government continue to leave a sour taste in my mouth even today. This is one reason I would be reluctant to vote Tory. That said, there are a number of Conservative polititians who I believe are excellent MP's. Ken Clarke, Micheal Portillo, Tim Yeo and Boris Johnson I could quite easily vote for, since their politics aren't that disimilar to my own. Sadly however, the party at large still seems to consist mainly of Daily Mail reading 'Norman Tebbits' and 'John Redwoods'. Certainly comments suggesting the return of the death penalty doesn't help!
English

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 05:05:28 AM »

The Poll Tax was despicable. Let us not forget who introduced it however! Micheal Howard! Some good things did come out of the 1980's, the unions for example definately needed sorting out. In the 70's it got to the stage where they would demand a walk out just because the coffee machine was broken. It was completely ridiculous. Overall however, I would say her contribution to British society has been negative. Had I been old enough in 1983 I would have definately voted for Micheal Foot, even if he did attend a funeral in a duffel coat!
English

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 06:08:08 AM »

I would second that!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies