Who Do The Republicans need to nominate to win in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who Do The Republicans need to nominate to win in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who Do The Republicans need to nominate to win in 2012?  (Read 4638 times)
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »

Who do they need to win the white house?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:39:48 PM »

If there is an economic crash, Mitt Romney is the obvious choice. If Obama has a great term, we'll just have to pray Jesus comes back and runs for public office. If Obama has a mediocore term, then I would go after Charlie Crist or John Huntsman Jr.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »

Right now, I don't see a savior in the probable candidates for the Republican Party. The GOP desperately needs to start breeding new stars. Perhaps they need a farm league?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:56:23 PM »

Joe Biden
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 08:57:13 PM »

We need to start working on Aaron Schock. John Thune would be another decent candidate. Get them ready for the national stage. Palin would have been good, but she was thrust on the national stage so quickly, and didn't have time to adjust, which resulted in awful interviews making her look like an idiot. I mean, before those interviews, her approval ratings were higher than Obama or McCain's. I think she can still be a good candidate, if she puts herself around the right people and works on her interviewing skills.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 08:59:30 PM »

If economic growth picks up, and jobs start to become more prevalent again by the time Obama runs for reelection (and he accomplishes health care reform by the end of this year), it won't matter whom the Republicans nominate.  Though, if they want to at least perform respectably, they can't go wrong with Mitt Romney (esp. with Jon Huntsman, Jr. out of the picture until at least 2016...).  
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 09:18:54 PM »

Charlie Crist seems like the best option, maybe John Hoeven.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 09:22:52 PM »

Crist doesn't have much appeal outside of pundits. Also there's the gay rumor that just won't go away.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »

Crist doesn't have much appeal outside of pundits. Also there's the gay rumor that just won't go away.

That's true.  If he could get through a primary, though, I'd say he's the best choice for the GOP.
tonyreyes89
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:47:16 PM »

Who do they need to win the white house?

Ronald Reagan.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 09:56:17 PM »

We need to start working on Aaron Schock. John Thune would be another decent candidate. Get them ready for the national stage. Palin would have been good, but she was thrust on the national stage so quickly, and didn't have time to adjust, which resulted in awful interviews making her look like an idiot. I mean, before those interviews, her approval ratings were higher than Obama or McCain's. I think she can still be a good candidate, if she puts herself around the right people and works on her interviewing skills.

Palin didn't just come off as an idiot by being unprepared, she proved herself to be an idiot by making idiotic statements. And not just throughout the campaign, throughout her career.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 10:20:57 PM »

There's no one really.  We'll see if anyone comes up by then.  I'm still hoping for Romney, but I'm afraid the fabricated Romney created to destroy him is too much to overcome.
I don't think the flip flopping is as big of an issue as people think. Actually, given the trends in the base and country as a whole he may need to move further right on a few things (like guns) to be viable. That and do a better job addressing the whole Mormon issue than he did last time. With that said, I have a hunch he's going to be the compromise candidate given his run the last time plus his gains in the polls.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »

Huckabee, Romney, Thune, Sanford.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »

Did you misread where he said "to win"?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:15:31 PM »

Mitt Romney, although I'm still hoping Chuck Hagel runs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »

Uh?

I can't imagine that guy being a great national candidate. This suggestion is very Naso-esque.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:36 PM »

Can't think of a better attention whore. I hope he stays out of the public eye now that he's retired.

As for the GOP, if the economy turns around, it doesn't matter who they field, they lose. I hope it isn't either Palin or Huckabee, because if it is, we're doomed. Romney would be tolerable, as would Sanford and Gingrich. I'd love to see Rudy run again, but unless the primary order changes, he's toast.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 11:31:12 PM »

What?

EDIT: Damn, Phil beat me Tongue
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 11:33:13 PM »

If Palin runs it will be another election where intelligent people have no choice but to vote Democratic, even if they disagree with many of Obama's policies.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 12:01:52 AM »

Why does anyone think Romney, Huckabee, or Thune can win?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »

Seriously, this is pretty silly to even guess at at this point.

I think even up into 2007 McCain's campaign passionately believed his support of the Iraq War would be by far his biggest liability going into the general election, when it turned out that McCain could actually use his support of the surge as a wedge issue against Obama.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 12:35:18 AM »

I agree with the general sentiment that seems to be prevailing thus far; if there's a measurable economic recovery that your average voters feels, the Republicans will need the second coming of Jesus in order to win.  However if Obama's term is mediocre or downright bad, the Republicans could find success in a candidate who has strong credentials as a fiscal conservative to counter Obama's big spending.

Candidates like Huckabee and Palin may appeal strongly to the base the GOP has built for itself over the past 30-40 years but I doubt they'll have the nationwide appeal or credentials necessary to win.  Palin has proven herself to be completely incapable to such a degree that I think Obama could beat her even under the worst of circumstances.  And Huckabee's record as a "compassionate conservative" doesn't set him up very well to run a campaign of fiscal restraint.

I honestly don't think that any of the current "front runners" will make a significant mark on the 2012 campaign.  By the time the primaries roll around I think we'll be looking at a completely different field.  Some of the current players may still take a stab at it but I don't think any of them will make it past New Hampshire.  My feeling is that a new crop of candidates will have formed by then.  I think the 2010 mid-term is going to have a huge impact on the direction the Republicans take in 2012 so I'm not going to even attempt to speculate on who the GOP's savior might be until after that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 06:30:02 AM »

Barack Obama? Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 07:32:09 AM »

We need to start working on Aaron Schock. John Thune would be another decent candidate. Get them ready for the national stage. Palin would have been good, but she was thrust on the national stage so quickly, and didn't have time to adjust, which resulted in awful interviews making her look like demonstrating she is an idiot. I mean, before those interviews, her approval ratings were higher than Obama or McCain's. I think she can still be a good candidate, if she puts herself around the right people and works on her interviewing skills.

Corrected
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:24 AM »

Michelle Obama
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length