Atlasian Tax Code Resolution (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:41:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Tax Code Resolution (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian Tax Code Resolution (Failed)  (Read 2175 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »
« edited: May 30, 2009, 09:02:54 AM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Atlasian Tax Code Resolution

Whereas, Atlasia has existed for years without a functioning or present tax code,
therefore let it be

Resolved, that an independent commission shall be instituted for the formation of a tax code to be presented to the Atlasian Senate for approval. The commission shall be made up of the President or a citizen so designated to fill his place, the Attorney General, the PPT, the five regional Governors or any citizen of the same region so designated by a Governor, and two additional Senators so appointed by the Senate. At any time the commission may, by two-thirds consent, approve the addition of outside members as full voting members.

Resolved, that this tax code shall include, but not be limited to, an income tax, sales tax, social security tax, and estate tax. The proposal shall be prepared and presented before the start of FY 2010.

Spon: Sen. PurpleState
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 01:46:48 PM »

When would this commission be formed? Immediately upon passage?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »

When would this commission be formed? Immediately upon passage?

Such was my intention.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:58:48 AM »

I oppose this,

Our tax system is like every other law in Atlasia; it is based on the US system until such times as it is changed, modified or overturned. I have no objection to maintaining the US tax system (with modifications brought about by one or two existing bills) All we need to do is simply codify the tax system to take into account these modifications. We don't need a commission to do that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »

I oppose this,

Our tax system is like every other law in Atlasia; it is based on the US system until such times as it is changed, modified or overturned. I have no objection to maintaining the US tax system (with modifications brought about by one or two existing bills) All we need to do is simply codify the tax system to take into account these modifications. We don't need a commission to do that.

It would be nice to have a team to decide whether it is, as you say, best to simply use the US system or some other. And if we use the US system, what the respective rates are and how they stand after modifications in the past.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:20:20 AM »

I hereby open up a final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Nay
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »

AYE
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 10:25:31 AM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »

Aye
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 12:01:34 PM »

I originally supported the idea of coming up with a tax code....but to be honest, it wouldn't have much meaning without a yearly budget...and actual financial calculations.

As such...I agree with Afleitch that there's no reason we shouldn't just assume that Atlasian tax rates are equal to U.S. tax rates (except for changes that we make to that default version).

NAY
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »

Nay
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »

The problem is we've made some changes to it over the years. I think it's easier to just restructure the tax code with a commission rather than to try and patch together a tax code including the differences we have from the real world.

Also, we should be differentiating ourselves from the US government. We have plenty of differences already, I don't see why we HAVE to assume we're exactly the same. We're an independent game, we should make our own events and our own institutions.

Just my 2 cents, sorry. Tongue
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 02:59:32 PM »

The problem is we've made some changes to it over the years. I think it's easier to just restructure the tax code with a commission rather than to try and patch together a tax code including the differences we have from the real world.

Also, we should be differentiating ourselves from the US government. We have plenty of differences already, I don't see why we HAVE to assume we're exactly the same. We're an independent game, we should make our own events and our own institutions.

I understand. But we have, to my knowledge only made 2 legislative changes that affect the tax code which makes 'marrying' this with the US tax code fairly easy.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

I understand. But we have, to my knowledge only made 2 legislative changes that affect the tax code which makes 'marrying' this with the US tax code fairly easy.

So then this commission can compile exactly where the rates stand.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »

So then this commission can compile exactly where the rates stand.

But we don't need a commission and a commitee to tell us what we can easily see on Wkiepdia and then adjust the bottom and top tax rates to reflect legislation.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »

nay. codifying an official Atlasian tax code would be great but things dumped on committees never get done.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 08:03:53 AM »

Current Tally

3 Aye (HappyWarrior, PiT, PurpleState)
4 Nay (MasterJedi, Franzl, Afleitch, Bacon King)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 08:43:16 PM »

Nay - I want a tax code, but it's the Senate's role to set this sort of policy direction.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »

Nay.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 07:36:58 AM »

This bill has enough votes to fail. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 09:02:39 AM »

With 3 Ayes, 6 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has failed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies