ATLAS: Atlasians Thinking, Leading, Acting, Solving (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:50:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ATLAS: Atlasians Thinking, Leading, Acting, Solving (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ATLAS: Atlasians Thinking, Leading, Acting, Solving  (Read 7577 times)
Fine...I Made This More Civil
persepolis

« on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:03 PM »
« edited: May 26, 2009, 06:57:59 PM by Persepolis »

1. I absolutely agree. More organized parties could lead to less chaos come election time.

2. Polls are always good, but we just don't have a big enough population for that sort of thing.

3. That's not a bad idea. It would keep interest levelss high, although it would be grueling for a Senator to run 4 campaigns a year. Also, Senates would hardly be together for long enough to make the gov't part of our sim interesting. There would just be one major bill per session.

4. Absolutely. The GM is a very important position and carries a lot of responsibility. When the GM is inactive, it adversely affects the entire forum.
persepolis

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »

I don't like the way we currently elected people, it is a good way if we have more then one office to fill, but head to head matches it's kinda useless. Also, I believe making all senate races at-large will be better.

I disagree with making all the senate seats at-large. Regional politics are fun. Besides, it adds many election to follow instead of one big one.

A lot of the times you have only one person running for senate in a region, and sometimes you don't have anyone at all.

Have we had a situation where NO ONE was running? If so, then maybe at large seats would be a good idea. However, it would completely remove the concept of regions. Governors don't do much outside the Mideast (no offense folks) and removing the only regional seat with any power just wouldn't make much sense.
persepolis

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:31:48 PM »

I would love to reduce the Regions to three.
I would actually support expanding by a few. I also think there should be more assemblymen.

The problem is most Regions aren't active like the Mideast is. So you have pointless office olders that aren't really active and regions that are dead.

If we were to cut down, I feel that we need more members in the Assembly, so the people can be better represented.

Perhaps you should enter your name into consideration for the Assembly once Dan or I gets elected to the Senate. I wouldn't mind making the regions smaller, but the region that will be first to the chopping block would be the Mideast, due to its geographic location.
persepolis

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »

I would actually support expanding by a few. I also think there should be more assemblymen.

The problem is most Regions aren't active like the Mideast is. So you have pointless office olders that aren't really active and regions that are dead.

If we were to cut down, I feel that we need more members in the Assembly, so the people can be better represented.

Perhaps you should enter your name into consideration for the Assembly once Dan or I gets elected to the Senate. I wouldn't mind making the regions smaller, but the region that will be first to the chopping block would be the Mideast, due to its geographic location.
I was planning on doing  that.
It should be more open for people who WANT to participate. I want to participate and get involved in this game. More seats would give some people a better chance. Raising the number of assembleymen= More votes

If you feel strongly about this, maybe you could write up an amendment to the constitution. I'd be happy to submit it for you.
persepolis

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »

It should be more open for people who WANT to participate. I want to participate and get involved in this game. More seats would give some people a better chance. Raising the number of assembleymen= More votes

If you feel strongly about this, maybe you could write up an amendment to the constitution. I'd be happy to submit it for you.

Unfortunately, once Dan or you win the Senate seat, suddenly the extra seat is vacant.

Some regions have a universal system where all citizens vote. What I tried to do in the Mideast, first during the Constitutional Convention and recently through the referendum amendment, was allow an Assembly to represent the people on a day-to-day basis, while always leaving the option for a universal vote over controversial legislation.

Well, the seat will immediately be filled by a willing citizen at the discretion of the governor. Of course, it is important to get the people involved, but there needs to be some incentive to hold a position. If someone can just waltz in and get a position, it defeats the purpose of an election sim. It makes it a gov't sim.
persepolis

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:02:35 PM »

Maybe I will, once I figure out how to do that. Wink

Just write up what you want to see changed. Then, send it to me by PM. That's all, really.
persepolis

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »

I was just reading over the constitutions of the states and realized that none, save the Mideast's, had an elected legislative body (somebody else may have pointed this out earlier). If every region had an elected legislator, the elections would be far more meaningful, and there would be more activity in the regions.

Why aren't propositions enough?  If it weren't for propositions, you wouldn't've been able to jump right into Midwestern politics and introduce a bill.

I realize that. Here's my reasoning. The Mideast is currently the most active region, they have an elected legislature, therefore, an elected legislature increases activity.

Does every region have enough active people to hold down a legislative body?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies