What to do with ghettos?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:39:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What to do with ghettos?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What to do with ghettos?  (Read 2948 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 07:48:30 PM »

I think my question may have been misinterpreted. I wasn't so much asking what to do about poverty, though that is a tricky question too. I'm talking about neighborhoods more than people. I don't get the impression that a lot of people live in the areas I'm talking about, with so many properties apparantly abandoned. My county hasn't really grown since 2000, but there's been plenty of new development in desirable areas. The nasty parts of town have been hollowed out. It just seems really inefficient and undesirable.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:45 PM »

I think my question may have been misinterpreted. I wasn't so much asking what to do about poverty, though that is a tricky question too. I'm talking about neighborhoods more than people. I don't get the impression that a lot of people live in the areas I'm talking about, with so many properties apparantly abandoned. My county hasn't really grown since 2000, but there's been plenty of new development in desirable areas. The nasty parts of town have been hollowed out. It just seems really inefficient and undesirable.

that has actually been a big problem in many inner cities in the last few decades when everyone moved to the suburbs.  there are actually a lot of things that can be done to clean up the ugliest parts of town.  the change can be either a result of a governmental effort or a citizen's initiative.  downtown stamford, ct was a dump, until the university and several corporations arrived and made it a far more attractive area.  same with times square in nyc when we got rid of the pimps and the drugdealers.  in london tube stations were built in the ugliest parts of town in order to make it easier for young professionals that worked in the city to move there.  what's actually interesting is that in recent decades people have been moving back to the cities (from the suburbs), either because they want to be closer to work and traffic makes it impossible to get there on time from the suburbs or because life in the city is more exciting.  i can tell you for example that many areas here in queens or brooklyn changed for the better when manhattan become too expensive for young professionals and college students and they moved here.  those people are revitalizing cities, bringing new ideas and participating in community activities that aim at improving their lives.  there's a lot that can be done and there's a lot that should be done.  but if no one tries, nothing will happen. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »

Then I'm going with my first answer.  Fire.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 01:05:55 AM »

While it is true that college isn't for everyone, getting an education should be more about becoming a better and more informed person, not about finding a job.  And that's why I think education at all levels should be free.  Not really relevant to the discussion, but I just thought I'd mention it.  The problem of poverty is always more evident in societies where the big fish eats the little fish and no one gives a damn

Maybe, but going to college doesn't automatically make one better or more informed.  Becoming informed is just as much a matter of personal responsibility, if not more so, as it is one of professorial diffusion. 

Then I'm going with my first answer.  Fire.

That will work.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 01:41:10 AM »

I don't know; it's really not my business.  I wouldn't live there myself, but to each his own.

Actually it is your problem Van.  While you may think, my life is good, why I should I care what happens in the ghetto, the truth is that what happens in our community to other people affects us in ways we often may not be able to anticipate.

I often hear from right-wingers that the government shouldn't interfere (and therefore tax them to pay for its programs) to solve problems such as poverty, but what they don't realize is that if the government doesn't interfere, those poor can become a problem to the rest.  Why do you think crime rates are so high in underprivileged communities?Another example of this is healthcare.  Right-wingers don't want healthcare for all as long as they can afford their medical bills, but if people around you get sick and have no medical treatment, you will get sick too.  

Sometimes I think that the only solutions for those who believe that we shouldn't do anything to solve the problems our society has is to lock themselves in a castle, build a wall around it and not interact with anyone in order to avoid the consequences of their inaction.

100%
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

I don't know; it's really not my business.  I wouldn't live there myself, but to each his own.

Actually it is your problem Van.  While you may think, my life is good, why I should I care what happens in the ghetto, the truth is that what happens in our community to other people affects us in ways we often may not be able to anticipate.

I often hear from right-wingers that the government shouldn't interfere (and therefore tax them to pay for its programs) to solve problems such as poverty, but what they don't realize is that if the government doesn't interfere, those poor can become a problem to the rest.  Why do you think crime rates are so high in underprivileged communities?

Another example of this is healthcare.  Right-wingers don't want healthcare for all as long as they can afford their medical bills, but if people around you get sick and have no medical treatment, you will get sick too.  

Sometimes I think that the only solutions for those who believe that we shouldn't do anything to solve the problems our society has is to lock themselves in a castle, build a wall around it and not interact with anyone in order to avoid the consequences of their inaction.

Actually, ghettos are quite nice, and unfortunately, slowly disappearing.  Sad  It is a different and more relaxed culture, in many ways like the mythological small town existence that everyone claims is great.  (Okay, we had a great block party last weekend.)

In other words, stop trying to ruin our lives.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 06:25:03 PM »

Actually, ghettos are quite nice, and unfortunately, slowly disappearing.  Sad  It is a different and more relaxed culture, in many ways like the mythological small town existence that everyone claims is great.  (Okay, we had a great block party last weekend.)

Not that block parties aren't awesome and stuff, but there are some ghettos with very high rates of unemployment, domestic violence, alcoholism, bad schools, crime, high school drop-out, etc.

But, hey, cookouts.  It's a wonder people aren't flocking to Detroit.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2009, 06:39:53 PM »

That's some ghetto you've got there, or not at all.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

They should.  Houses were selling for a dollar a few months ago.  They could at least flip them when the housing market completely recovers.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »

They should.  Houses were selling for a dollar a few months ago.  They could at least flip them when the housing market completely recovers.

LOL@ the idea that Detroit will recover. South and North Memphis are a lot lke this. There is exactly 0% chance that these areas will ever be desirable. Nobody is even considering gentrifying these hell holes.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »

LOL@ the idea that Detroit will recover. South and North Memphis are a lot lke this. There is exactly 0% chance that these areas will ever be desirable. Nobody is even considering gentrifying these hell holes.

That's the problem.  Unfortunately unless someone makes an effort to make these areas more attractive, nothing will change.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 12:05:54 AM »

Now now now show some optimism Smiley

I guess you could say there is some gentrification on the periphery.  A few years ago we might have lumped Binghamption in with North Memphis - now its well on its way to improvement.  I could easily see Cooper/Young expanding southward into some streets that we now associate with South Memphis.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »

To me the word "ghetto" when used by white people is code for " where the Negros live"

"Low income" would have been better.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 01:19:40 PM »

Now now now show some optimism Smiley

I guess you could say there is some gentrification on the periphery.  A few years ago we might have lumped Binghamption in with North Memphis - now its well on its way to improvement.  I could easily see Cooper/Young expanding southward into some streets that we now associate with South Memphis.

Cooper Young and Binghapmption are still rife with boarded up crack houses. Can't really see any development spilling over.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 02:46:58 PM »

To me the word "ghetto" when used by white people is code for " where the Negros live"

"Low income" would have been better.

That's also code for white people who "don't want to offend anyone".
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »

Low income white neighborhoods just don't give off the "abandon all hope, ye who enter here" vibe that black ghettos do. You don't see nearly as many abandoned properties or overgrown lots and there's not remotely as much violent crime. We also don't have many poor white neighborhoods in Memphis. Most Southern white poors live in the country, and I suspect this is true in the rest of the nation as well.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »

There are some simple steps that can be taken to improve these areas:

1. Urban Renewal. Not only do the property values go up and more educated (relatively) people come in and influence the culture, but they will also gain a bit of self esteem, which may make them try to improve their lives.

2. Promote public school choice and perhaps set up a carpooling or bus program so the kids could get to the schools.

3. Promote the importance of education. Self explanatory.

4. Enforce all laws, don't just fight gangs. This will make the area better to live in, as traffic laws are followed, and minor crimes become less common.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies