What to do with ghettos? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:38:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What to do with ghettos? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What to do with ghettos?  (Read 2988 times)
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« on: May 27, 2009, 02:27:31 AM »

I often hear from right-wingers that the government shouldn't interfere (and therefore tax them to pay for its programs) to solve problems such as poverty, but what they don't realize is that if the government doesn't interfere, those poor can become a problem to the rest.  Why do you think crime rates are so high in underprivileged communities?

Part of the reason is that criminals are often released from prison back into areas that are crime-ridden.  But, at the same time, what do you expect them to do?  Release criminals into affluent neighborhoods?
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:33:43 AM »

Halfway houses?
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:58:22 AM »

Aye...forgot about them.  They are nearly always in or near the sh**t part of town.  Several reasons for that I'm sure....cheaper to buy, neighbors have less money to fight putting it there in the first place, closer to manual labor type jobs.

Right, but if you talk to any Sociologist (and I had to, as it was one of my minors), this leads to a greater amount of recidivism than if they were released into halfway houses that were constructed in wealthy neighborhoods.

My problem with this, and why I bolded part of the earlier quote, is I don't see a practical solution to this.  And doing what Sociologists want would escalate class warfare...literally.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:29:01 AM »

Recidivism is always going to be high, there is a reason these people went to crime in the first place and most of the time those reasons only get bigger/stronger while they are in prison.

Sadly I don't see a practical solution either.  There are some things we can do though.  Change how we fight or stop the war on drugs.  Keep telling black dudes that getting a girl pregnant and then taking off is one of the worst things a person can do.  Change the public school system...get some kids into vocational training earlier (if they want it).

I see you avoided Sociology.  Good man.

But, but we've been fighting the war on drugs for over forty years now.  Victory will come any day now.  Seriously, regulate weed the same way Nevada does.  I'm on the fence over harder drugs. 

The biggest problem I have public education is telling every kid that they have to go to college.  There are good jobs out there that don't require college degrees.

can't we turn them into shantytowns somehow?

Go for it.  I do love the word "shanty".  I did enjoy Slumdog Millionaire.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:05:55 AM »

While it is true that college isn't for everyone, getting an education should be more about becoming a better and more informed person, not about finding a job.  And that's why I think education at all levels should be free.  Not really relevant to the discussion, but I just thought I'd mention it.  The problem of poverty is always more evident in societies where the big fish eats the little fish and no one gives a damn

Maybe, but going to college doesn't automatically make one better or more informed.  Becoming informed is just as much a matter of personal responsibility, if not more so, as it is one of professorial diffusion. 

I think my question may have been misinterpreted. I wasn't so much asking what to do about poverty, though that is a tricky question too. I'm talking about neighborhoods more than people. I don't get the impression that a lot of people live in the areas I'm talking about, with so many properties apparantly abandoned. My county hasn't really grown since 2000, but there's been plenty of new development in desirable areas. The nasty parts of town have been hollowed out. It just seems really inefficient and undesirable.
Then I'm going with my first answer.  Fire.

That will work.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

But, hey, cookouts.  It's a wonder people aren't flocking to Detroit.

They should.  Houses were selling for a dollar a few months ago.  They could at least flip them when the housing market completely recovers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies