Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:14:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?  (Read 15257 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 10:38:25 AM »

Question - Will anyone running for President vote against Sotomayor?    I highly doubt it.

It may cost a GOP potential the nomination, if they do vote for her.

I don't think this issue alone could do it, but who knows.  I'm thinking in terms of the 2012 general election it will have a backlash, and candidly the GOP nominee can't afford to lose too many votes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 11:12:57 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2009, 11:14:29 AM by Lunar »

Cornyn is not a "100% hell no" vote.  He's the head of the NRSC and seems to take that job more seriously than he takes his own job as Senator, as of late.

I have a similarly hard time believing McCain has a small tilt to voting "yes" given his current worship of his left-over mailing list from 2008 or Hutchison who has a Republican primary she's trying to win against Perry.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »

Cornyn votes along the lines of DeMint, Coburn, and Bunning, so I'd count him as a 100% hell no.

McCain won't vote for her, he didn't vote for her last time.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »

This AP article says Bunning is a confirmed "no" (shocking, I know):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_sotomayor_senate

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 10:17:05 AM »

Lugar is now a confirmed yes.

Republican playmakers privately predict 8-12 Republicans will vote for her...
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »

I don't know but it would provide a handy list of names we should be sure to primary at the next possible moment.  A little RINO plasty is in order LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »

I don't know but it would provide a handy list of names we should be sure to primary at the next possible moment.  A little RINO plasty is in order LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Coburn In 2012

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »

I feel very sad for you that you are so afraid of debateing the issues that you have to respond with offcolor insults.  <IGNORE>
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2009, 12:01:44 PM »

Most of the Republicans that will vote for Sotomayor's confirmation are either: a) not even close to RINOs (Graham and Hatch come immediately to mind) or b) moderates that would be replaced by Democrats if they were to be primaried by a more conservative Republican (Snowe, Collins).

So explain to me how it helps your cause to primary these people. If anything it would weaken the Republicans even more. Of course, I have no problem with this, but your logic seems to be counter to what your final objective would be (which I assume is a Republican controlled Congress).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2009, 12:25:10 PM »

Mel Martinez anounced he will vote for Sotomayor.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SOTOMAYOR_MARTINEZ?SITE=CONGRA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2009, 06:44:48 PM »

Snowe has also (unsurprisingly) announced her support. Bunning, McConnell and Bennett (damn primaries!) have announced their opposition. Updated list:

Confirmed "yea"s:

Dick Lugar
Mel Martinez
Olympia Snowe

Confirmed "nay"s:

Bob Bennett
Sam Brownback
Jim Bunning
James Inhofe
Mitch McConnell
Pat Roberts

Predicted votes:

"Aye"s:

Susan Collins
Lindsey Graham
Judd Gregg
George Voinovich

Swing voters:

Lamar Alexander
Kit Bond
Orrin Hatch
Lisa Murkowski

"Nay"s:

John Barrasso
Richard Burr
Saxby Chambliss
Tom Coburn
Thad Cochran
Bob Corker
John Cornyn
Mike Crapo
Jim DeMint
John Ensign
Mike Enzi
Chuck Grassley
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Johnny Isakson
Mike Johanns
Jon Kyl
John McCain
Jim Risch
Jeff Sessions
Dick Shelby
John Thune
David Vitter
Roger Wicker
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2009, 02:09:05 PM »

I suppose all of the Republican senators who supported Ginsburg and Breyer were "RINOs" too.

Not to mention all of those who voted for Sotomayor when she was nominated to her current post, including such RINOs as Rick Santorum.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2009, 05:14:52 PM »

All 40.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »

Okay, back that up with some arguments now. You are the one who loves intelligent debate, so let's go.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 12:55:53 AM »

I don't mind some Republicans voting for Sotomayor.  She is qualified, and basically Souter 2 (not like that's a good thing, but whatever).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2009, 05:05:20 AM »

I don't mind some Republicans voting for Sotomayor.  She is qualified, and basically Souter 2 (not like that's a good thing, but whatever).
Souter is a Republican appointment.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »

People are becoming upset about the abuse of the Constitution (lately), and that trend is generally among Republicans (although not exclusively).

The ones who did it are the ones who are upset with it?
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »

Okay, back that up with some arguments now. You are the one who loves intelligent debate, so let's go.

If GOP Senators want the hispanic vote, then nobody will be dumb enough to vote against her. But hmm.. It'll mostl ikely be 29/ 40 GOP's voting for her or even more.

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »

We've got another confirmed no: John Thune.

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail6375.cfm?Id=87518
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 05:54:50 PM »

Every Republican voted for Souter, so maybe this is the logic as to why all will vote for Sotomayor as well. Smiley
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »

Huge surprise there.  I think he is running neck and neck with Tom Coburn for most extreme right wing Senator in the GOP. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »

Every Republican voted for Souter, so maybe this is the logic as to why all will vote for Sotomayor as well. Smiley

The Dems in general were uncomfortable with Souter, so that was a huge selling point for the other side.  I know, it sounds silly, but that is how politics works all too often.  Politics degenerates into a sports contest.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2009, 04:41:59 PM »

Last night I got a pre-recorded call on my mobile phone about this.  It started out with the long pause, the way recorded messages calls often do, and I was about to hang up because I don't need any more offers to have a longer, harder, more enduring erection.  Then a voice came on and said, "Hi, I'm Burpleboob Spinmeister (I forgot the guy's real name) with Some Organization (forgot that too) and I'm calling to inform you that the senate is considering confirmation of Sonia Sotomayor as Supreme Court justice.  Your constitutional right to keep and bear arms will be jeopardized if she is confirmed.  Please call Senator Grassley and let him know that this concerns you..."  It went on to tell me exactly how my right to keep and bear arms would be jeopardized, but I was getting bored, or maybe tired, or maybe hungry (I forget), but I do remember this much:  they wanted me to call Chuck and ask him not to vote for Sotomayor.

I didn't do it.  Honestly, I think it'll be okay if she's confirmed.  I don't think it'll be the end of the world.  I watched quite a bit of the hearings, and mostly I heard Democrats pontificating and Republicans pontificating, but what I didn't hear was Sotomayor acting stupid or unqualified.  And I also don't think Chuck's vote will make a difference anyway.  If he called me himself, I'd probably say, "Chuck, seriously, I have other shit to do.  This is what I hired you for.  Think about it and do what you think is best.  Okay.  You know she's qualified.  You know she'll get confirmed.  You know you probably don't always agree with her, but she's the one Obama picked.  Hearings?  All I'm hearing is a bunch of US Senators who like hearing the sound of their own voices.  Democrats talking up their agenda up and Republicans talking up their agenda.  What I'm not hearing much is Sotomayor's voice.  And that's okay because if she was a complete moron, or if she was unfit or unethical, Obama wouldn't have nominated her in the first place.  She's a fair judge whose decisions get overturned less than the average appellate judge.  About 25% less than the average, in fact, during the Rehnquist/Roberts era.  So just tell your buddies to stop wasting all this time pontificating and have a vote on her confirmation, so you can get on to important business.  We cool, Chuck?  Now get off the fucking phone and do what you can to stop congress from passing any more damaging legislation."

If he was nearby, I might also ask him to come over for a drink or two.  I'd say, "Chuck, I got a bottle of bourbon with your name on it.  Why not stop over for a spirited discussion about the current crises, both real and manufactured?"  And we could discuss health care, and how the current bill offered by congressional Democrats will only make things worse.  And we could talk about the Cap-and-trade con game.  And the "stimulus" bill.  And this hideous wall that some folks want to build between the US and Mexico that's supposed to solve all our immigration problems.  And some other pet peeves.  And maybe I could get him to get his caucus to stop worrying about Sonia and start worrying about the state of the nation's economy and the huge debt with which he and his colleagues are straddling the American public.  Or we might just play with Legos and tell off-color jokes.  Either way, we'd do something more constructive than fret over Sonia Sotomayor's appointment.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2009, 07:03:51 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

Collins, unsurprisingly, announced her support today, and Roger Wicker announced his opposition.

Time to update the list [edited to drop the "swing voter" category]:

Confirmed "yea"s:

Susan Collins
Dick Lugar
Mel Martinez
Olympia Snowe

Confirmed "nay"s:

Bob Bennett
Sam Brownback
Jim Bunning
James Inhofe
Mitch McConnell
Pat Roberts
John Thune
Roger Wicker

Predicted votes:

"Aye"s:

Lindsey Graham
Judd Gregg
Orrin Hatch
Lisa Murkowski
George Voinovich

"Nay"s:

Lamar Alexander
John Barrasso
Kit Bond
Richard Burr
Saxby Chambliss
Tom Coburn
Thad Cochran
Bob Corker
John Cornyn
Mike Crapo
Jim DeMint
John Ensign
Mike Enzi
Chuck Grassley
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Johnny Isakson
Mike Johanns
Jon Kyl
John McCain
Jim Risch
Jeff Sessions
Dick Shelby
David Vitter
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »

Why does Wicker opposes her?
Did she mention that she considers pork unconstitutional?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies