Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:49:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Which Republican Senators will vote for Sotomayor?  (Read 15222 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »

Mississippi Sen.  Roger Wicker (R) just announced he would oppose Sotomayor, primarily because of her comments on the Second Amendment. "I have great respect for Judge Sotomayor's life story and professional accomplishments," Wicker said in a statement. "However, this appreciation does not change or hide the flaws in her record and judicial philosophy."
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »

Yes! Well, Thune shouldn't be worried about a angry Hispanic population voting agianst him. So it's good!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2009, 02:06:05 AM »

Crist is an interesting hypothetical "no" vote, considering the importance of his state's Hispanic population and his Hispanic primary opponent.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »

Add Lindsey Graham to the list of Sotomayor supporters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090722/ap_on_go_co/us_sotomayor_senate
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2009, 02:48:40 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25252.html

Some interesting bits:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »

And Jon Kyl will vote no.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/legalities/2009/07/kyl-to-vote-against-sotomayor.html

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 07:04:39 PM »

Cochran also a no:

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/133267726

Shocking, all of these announcements. Pure shock. It seems like every time a Republican says they'll vote yes, two come out against Sotomayor.

The list, once again, with 15/40 Republicans confirmed:

Confirmed "yea"s:

Susan Collins
Lindsey Graham
Dick Lugar
Mel Martinez
Olympia Snowe

Confirmed "nay"s:

Bob Bennett
Sam Brownback
Jim Bunning
Thad Cochran
James Inhofe
Jon Kyl
Mitch McConnell
Pat Roberts
John Thune
Roger Wicker

Predicted votes:

"Aye"s:

Judd Gregg
Orrin Hatch
Lisa Murkowski
George Voinovich

"Nay"s:

Lamar Alexander
John Barrasso
Kit Bond
Richard Burr
Saxby Chambliss
Tom Coburn
Bob Corker
John Cornyn
Mike Crapo
Jim DeMint
John Ensign
Mike Enzi
Chuck Grassley
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Johnny Isakson
Mike Johanns
John McCain
Jim Risch
Jeff Sessions
Dick Shelby
David Vitter
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »

Graham...wow
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »

Crist is an interesting hypothetical "no" vote, considering the importance of his state's Hispanic population and his Hispanic primary opponent.

Perhaps Crist concluded that Rubio's opposition to Sotomayor will give him cover in the Florida Hispanic Community.  He can say "Marco Rubio opposed her too."  Like Hutchison, he is trying to get through a GOP primary against a more conservative opponent.  Nevertheless, Crist's decision is questionable as he is in a stronger position than Hutchison.  This will likely cost him some Hispanic support.  And he had some cover if he had gone the other way as well, as Mel Martinez is supporting Sotomayor. 

While Crist is still highly likely to win the general election, his announcement is a modest boon for Kendrick Meek.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »

Why? Graham has always been very supportive of the Hispanic community, despite there being no Hispanics in South Carolina (and lots of hostility). My guess is that his secret male lover is a Mexican illegal immigrant.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »

Two more no votes: cornyn, not a surprise, and hatch, who is a surprise. This will be the first time he's voted against a scotus nominee in his tenure on the judiciary committee.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »

Apparently Cornyn either is more tone deaf than anyone imagined or he has a political death wish.
What remains to be seen is what kind of signal that vote sends to his senate recruits.

And it's rather amusing the fact that Hatch had no problem with such diverse candidates like Bork, Ginsburg or Thomas, but somehow he thinks that Sotomayor is unacceptable.
Hypocrisy much?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 12:25:52 PM »

Two more no votes: cornyn, not a surprise, and hatch, who is a surprise. This will be the first time he's voted against a scotus nominee in his tenure on the judiciary committee.

Did Hatch release a statement saying why?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 05:54:46 PM »

“I entered into the confirmation process of Judge Sotomayor with the strong desire to vote in favor of her nomination. Her credentials and experience are very impressive and her personal demeanor is pleasantly cordial and friendly. I found that the great respect I have for Judge Sotomayor’s heritage and history added even more to my desire to carefully review her record and opinions in hopes of finding them truly grounded in the rule of law and acceptable to earn the support and trust of the American people and myself.

“Arriving at a final decision was particularly difficult because I like and highly respect Judge Sotomayor and, in general, give a great deal of deference to any President’s nominee. The prospect of a woman of Puerto Rican heritage serving on the Supreme Court brought great excitement to me and says a lot about America.

“However, after thoroughly reviewing Judge Sotomayor’s record and being able to hear her testimony and responses during the hearing process, I reluctantly, and with a heavy heart, have found that I cannot support her nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court. In truth, I wish President Obama had chosen a Hispanic nominee that all Senators could support. I believe it would it would have done a great deal for our great county. Although Judge Sotomayor has a compelling life story and dedication to public service, her statements and record were too much at odds with the principles and the judiciary in which I deeply believe.

“As I said during the hearing, some of Judge Sotomayor’s critics have been intemperate and unfair. No nominee deserves that kind of treatment. I was grateful her confirmation hearing was both dignified and thorough, as they all should be. I was particularly pleased that Judge Sotomayor felt her hearing was as gracious and fair as she could have asked for.

“During my analysis, I focused on her record and applied standards and principles that define the kind of judge all Americans need. Qualifications for judicial service include not only legal experience but, more importantly, a nominee’s approach to judging. This make Judge Sotomayor’s judicial philosophy more important than her stellar resume. I thoroughly examined her record with the more exacting focus appropriate for a Supreme Court nomination. This included reading and studying Judge Sotomayor’s speeches, articles, and cases; meeting with and hearing from legal experts and advocates from different perspectives; and actively participating in the confirmation hearing.

“The duty of confirmation entrusted to all Senators requires we determine whether Judge Sotomayor has the legal experience and, more importantly, the judicial philosophy that properly equips her for service on the Supreme Court. I have done my best to leave politics aside and stay true to this standard during all twelve Supreme Court confirmations I have participated in. It saddens me to realize that after reviewing her record, I have reluctantly concluded that I cannot vote in favor of her confirmation. However, I wish her well in her future endeavors and believe she is a wonderful and talented American with much to offer this great country.”
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39:27 PM »

I don't mind some Republicans voting for Sotomayor.  She is qualified, and basically Souter 2 (not like that's a good thing, but whatever).

Every Republican voted for Souter, so maybe this is the logic as to why all will vote for Sotomayor as well. Smiley

If she wasn't raicst, I'd would support her.

I'm nonpartisan usually when it comes to Supreme court nominees.

But Sotomayor is racist, so no
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2009, 06:56:24 AM »

Apparently Cornyn either is more tone deaf than anyone imagined or he has a political death wish.
What remains to be seen is what kind of signal that vote sends to his senate recruits.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks this vote is the kiss of death to Republicans in Latino-heavy states. Presumably the Latinos that vote for Republicans won't be dissuaded by this vote, as they're probably conservative in the first place. Cornyn won re-election by 55-43 while losing Latinos 61-36, so it's not like he's got that much further down to go among that constituency.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:26 AM »

Indeed, people are overestimating how much everyday Latino voters are counting who votes how.  The vote could be subject to some Spanish-language ads, that, like any ad, could push the margins around a little, but not a lot.  Hispanic advocacy organizations aren't going to change their endorsements, but some GOP partisan groups, Hispanic and non-Hispanic, will be seeing who's got their back, but really it's not going to matter in all but the closest of races.

It's what the GOP does, or doesn't do, en masse, that matters
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »

Well, maybe this won't be THE vote that will turn Latinos even more against the Republicans and Cornyn in particular (even though the Hispanic Republican operatives in Texas disagree).
But if you want to reclaim their votes, you got to start from somewhere.

And what better place to start than voting to confirm the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice.
An eminently qualified nominee with a compelling life story and a mainstream record, who got through her confirmation hearings with no missteps.
What they did instead was to put a bunch of old white guys, with someone like Sessions of all people leading the charge, to show their hostility and condescension to her.

In that aspect I believe that Hatch's non-explanation explanation for his vote is rather revealing.   
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2009, 02:20:33 AM by Ogre Mage »

I really don't understand why everyone thinks this vote is the kiss of death to Republicans in Latino-heavy states. Presumably the Latinos that vote for Republicans won't be dissuaded by this vote, as they're probably conservative in the first place. Cornyn won re-election by 55-43 while losing Latinos 61-36, so it's not like he's got that much further down to go among that constituency.

It is not a huge problem in the short term, but the GOP is setting itself up poorly in the intermediate to long term.  The party is already in trouble with Latino voters over immigration and other issues.  If there is a solid GOP vote against Sotomayor, particularly from senators in heavy Hispanic states, perceptions of the party will continue to solidify.  Crist, Kyl and Cornyn have all come out against Sotomayor, I suspect Hutchison will as well.  At the rate the Hispanic population is growing, that 61-36 margin will loom much larger in the future.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »

It is not a huge problem in the short term, but the GOP is setting itself up poorly in the intermediate to long term.  The party is already in trouble with Latino voters over immigration and other issues.  If there is a solid GOP vote against Sotomayor, particularly from senators in heavy Hispanic states, perceptions of the party will continue to solidify.  Crist, Kyl and Cornyn have all come out against Sotomayor, I suspect Hutchinson will as well.  At the rate the Hispanic population is growing, that 61-36 margin will loom much larger in the future.

Still, Cornyn's seat is basically his as long as he wants it. For a Republican incumbent to lose a senate election in Texas would probably require a scandal of the live boy/dead girl variety. That'll probably be different in 10-15 years, but Cornyn should have retired by then.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »

Still, Cornyn's seat is basically his as long as he wants it. For a Republican incumbent to lose a senate election in Texas would probably require a scandal of the live boy/dead girl variety. That'll probably be different in 10-15 years, but Cornyn should have retired by then.

Perhaps. But even so he is a member of the Republican leadership.
When he and Kyl, who represent Latino-heavy states, cast a no vote, then the signal towards their colleagues, and his senate recruits, is pretty clear: bashing the browns is cool.

This is the same guy who thought that Harriet Miers was qualified to become Supreme Court Justice and supported Alberto Gonzales to the bitter end, for crying out loud.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2009, 09:20:05 PM »

It is not a huge problem in the short term, but the GOP is setting itself up poorly in the intermediate to long term.  The party is already in trouble with Latino voters over immigration and other issues.  If there is a solid GOP vote against Sotomayor, particularly from senators in heavy Hispanic states, perceptions of the party will continue to solidify.  Crist, Kyl and Cornyn have all come out against Sotomayor, I suspect Hutchinson will as well.  At the rate the Hispanic population is growing, that 61-36 margin will loom much larger in the future.

Really?  He's only 57.  A large number of senators serve into their late 70s.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2009, 10:47:46 PM »

Well, maybe this won't be THE vote that will turn Latinos even more against the Republicans and Cornyn in particular (even though the Hispanic Republican operatives in Texas disagree).
But if you want to reclaim their votes, you got to start from somewhere.

And what better place to start than voting to confirm the first Hispanic Supreme Court Justice.
An eminently qualified nominee with a compelling life story and a mainstream record, who got through her confirmation hearings with no missteps.
What they did instead was to put a bunch of old white guys, with someone like Sessions of all people leading the charge, to show their hostility and condescension to her.

In that aspect I believe that Hatch's non-explanation explanation for his vote is rather revealing.   

indeed, hell, even the Chamber of Congress endorsed her, but the GOP still has to balance their Pat Buchanans with their ... uh... Diaz-Balarts?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2009, 05:31:55 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

Sessions is a no:

http://blog.al.com/sweethome/2009/07/alabama_senator_jeff_sessions.html

Here's the list again (updated):

Confirmed "yea"s:

Susan Collins
Lindsey Graham
Dick Lugar
Mel Martinez
Olympia Snowe

Confirmed "nay"s:

Bob Bennett
Sam Brownback
Jim Bunning
Thad Cochran
John Cornyn
Mike Crapo
Chuck Grassley
Orrin Hatch
James Inhofe
Mike Johanns
Jon Kyl
Mitch McConnell
Jim Risch
Pat Roberts
Jeff Sessions
John Thune
Roger Wicker

Predicted votes:

"Yea"s:

Judd Gregg
Lisa Murkowski
George Voinovich

"Nay"s:

Lamar Alexander
John Barrasso
Kit Bond
Richard Burr
Saxby Chambliss
Tom Coburn
Bob Corker
Jim DeMint
John Ensign
Mike Enzi
Kay Bailey Hutchison
Johnny Isakson
John McCain
Dick Shelby
David Vitter
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2009, 05:31:13 PM »

More no votes: Grassley, Crapo, Risch, and Johanns. List above updated. We now have over half the Republican caucus on record, as 17-5 against.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies