oh louisiana.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:51:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  oh louisiana.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: oh louisiana.  (Read 4027 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:49:09 PM »

im sure you democrats are in favor of this bill.

meanwhile, the normals are wondering what this country is coming to.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/04/politics/uwire/main3995062.shtml
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:51:44 PM »

They passed a similar bill in Texas. Disgusting, really.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

Fanatic gets killed by first potential victim!

Video images of a would-be campus gunman's failure were caught and posted all over the internet. More on page 3.
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »

I attend SUNY Binghamton in NY, where there was a shooting in April. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/nyregion/04hostage.html?pagewanted=all

It wasn't on campus, but it was right where many students live off-campus, including myself and many friends. The guy just walked into this American Civics Center, shot and killed 13 people, then commited suicide within a few minutes. People were hiding and didn't dare come out. Police surrounded the building but didn't dare go in. For hours, no one really knew what was happening, and the police just waited outside, doing nothing.

The guy killed everyone he wanted to then killed himself. No one stopped him. There was nothing the police could've even done without thinking they were risking the lives of dozens of people in there.

Pretty much every shooting is like that, the shooter kills however many people he wants and then kills himself. Police just give people rides to the hospital after everything is over.

Hopefully if more law-abiding people were carrying weapons things like this could be avoided.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:56:55 PM »

Disgusting
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »

Would individual universities still be able to prohibit guns if they choose to?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »

Wonderful bill. Hopefully every state passes a bill like this someday.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »

Meanwhile in TN:
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/may/26/house-gives-final-passage-guns--parks-bill/

The country has gone nuts for guns.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28:39 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2009, 08:31:01 PM by blagohair.com »

it's as if we're moving backwards while the rest of the world is moving forward.  i don't even care if someone wants guns for hunting.  this however is insane and senator pits support is ridiculous.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »

I contacted my state rep asking him to support this bill.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »

Well, with the number of school shootings that have occurred, I wouldn't blame someone for wanting to protect themself. I support the bill; if a person were going to shoot up a campus, it wouldn't matter if it was legal. This just lets people legally defend themselves.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »

OMG, EVERY CAMPUS IS GOING TO BE SOAKED IN BLOOD AND EVERYBODYS GOING TO DIE!!1!11!!!!!  WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!1111!!!!!  OMG!!!!!11
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »

why would you want people to bring their guns on a college campus?

senator realisticidealist:  false.  has it occurred to you that most people don't particularly care about carrying a gun?  what this does is make it easier for people to start shooting each other.  it's ridiculous to say that someone would bring a gun on campus to defend themselves.  it's far more likely that potential shooters will do that instead.

this is almost as ridiculous as the argument that gun control makes it more difficult for women to defend themselves from rapists, when everyone knows that the rapists are far more likely to own a gun than the victims and therefore use it to commit a crime.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 08:40:49 PM »

OMG, EVERY CAMPUS IS GOING TO BE SOAKED IN BLOOD AND EVERYBODYS GOING TO DIE!!1!11!!!!!  WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!!!1111!!!!!  OMG!!!!!11

omg letts go buy guns cuz commie obama and those damn librulz will take them from uss!!!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »

senator realisticidealist:  false.  has it occurred to you that most people don't particularly care about carrying a gun?  what this does is make it easier for people to start shooting each other.  it's ridiculous to say that someone would bring a gun on campus to defend themselves.  it's far more likely that potential shooters will do that instead.

this is almost as ridiculous as the argument that gun control makes it more difficult for women to defend themselves from rapists, when everyone knows that the rapists are far more likely to own a gun than the victims and therefore use it to commit a crime.

You seem to presuppose that gun control makes it significantly less likely for those who want to shoot up a college campus to be able to do so. I posit that that is not the case.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »

You seem to presuppose that gun control makes it significantly less likely for those who want to shoot up a college campus to be able to do so. I posit that that is not the case.

That is pretty much what I was saying. Gun control won't stop someone who really wants to shoot up a campus from trying. Gun laws might dissuade a few people who might have wanted to, but so might the knowledge that people may be carrying them for self-defense. Sure, most people won't carry a gun to school, but all it takes is one person carrying one to defend themself to save many lives.
Jacobtm

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2009, 09:03:58 PM by Jacobtm »

If there were some way to make sure that no one ever brought a gun onto campus, that would be the best option. If there were some way to make sure that no one had a gun in the whole world, that would be the best option. But those are not options.

I'm a junior in college, and I've visited plenty of other college campuses. You don't go through metal detectors to go into campus. You don't have your car searched. You just drive in and park. Classrooms are not locked, and don't have security. Anyone who wants to can drive onto campus with a gun or several in your backpack (the guy who shot up the civics center near my school had 2 guns) and just start shooting anywhere you want.

Even my university, which is a State University in NY doesn't have security. Our campus security is state police, if you get security called on you for any reason, you're immediately dealing with NY state police. But still, despite the fact that state troopers drive around campus all the time, there's nothing stopping you from putting a gun in your backpack and walking into a class, dorm, dining hall or any other building.

And if past school shootings like Columbine of Virginia Tech are any indication, what happens when someone starts shooting up a building is the following:
- Police are called, no later than 3 hours after the shooting starts.
- They set up a firm perimeter around the building.
- They wait until the shooter has killed everyone he wants, then himself.
- They provide people with blankets, coffee, and ambulence rides for any wounded survivors

So if the ease of carrying a gun to class is already the same as carrying a textbook, then why not at least legitimize the practice so that people can defend themselves when someone wants to shoot up a class?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »

If there were some way to make sure that no one ever brought a gun onto campus, that would be the best option. If there were some way to make sure that no one had a gun in the whole world, that would be the best option. But those are not options.

I'm a junior in college, and I've visited plenty of other college campuses. You don't go through metal detectors to go into campus. You don't have your car searched. You just drive in and park. Classrooms are not locked, and don't have security. Anyone who wants to can drive onto campus with a gun or several in your backpack (the guy who shot up the civics center near my school had 2 guns) and just start shooting anywhere you want.

Even my university, which is a State University in NY doesn't have security. Our campus security is state police, if you get security called on you for any reason, you're immediately dealing with NY state police. But still, despite the fact that state troopers drive around campus all the time, there's nothing stopping you from putting a gun in your backpack and walking into a class, dorm, dining hall or any other building.

So if the ease of carrying a gun to class is already the same as carrying a textbook, then why not at least legitimize the practice so that people can defend themselves when someone wants to shoot up a class?

And what happens when someone who gets insulted or pissed off decides to pull out a gun instead of fists?
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 09:05:24 PM »

That is pretty much what I was saying. Gun control won't stop someone who really wants to shoot up a campus from trying. Gun laws might dissuade a few people who might have wanted to, but so might the knowledge that people may be carrying them for self-defense. Sure, most people won't carry a gun to school, but all it takes is one person carrying one to defend themself to save many lives.

i honestly doubt that someone would be discouraged to bring a gun to school to shoot people just because they know others will be carrying them as well.  my other argument is that someone who is inclined to shoot people is more likely to carry a gun than someone who isn't.  it's very similar to what i said above about rapists and rape victims.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 09:05:55 PM »

For the record, I am uncertain about the wisdom of this bill, especially given that college students are not necessarily renowned for their maturity.  That having been said, those states that have liberalized gun laws are not exactly swimming in blood with decaying bullet-ridden corpses behind every closed door either, while cities that tend to have the strictest gun control laws typically have the highest crime rates.  Let Louisiana legalize the right of college students to bring concealed weapons on campus, and see what happens.  One thing is for certain -the gun ban on the Virginia Tech campus didn't do jacksh**t for anyone except give the perpetrator some peace of mind in knowing that no one would be able to fight back.    
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

i can't help it if lennon's imagine is my favorite song Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »

And what happens when someone who gets insulted or pissed off decides to pull out a gun instead of fists?

Uh...this could happen anywhere with anyone that has a gun.

By the way, this comes from someone who doesn't really support/is extremely wary of letting students carry guns on a school campus.

I might not jump at the idea of letting students carry guns but this argument that this will make people drastically less safe is absurd. To be "disgusted" with this is also ridiculous.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »

excellent point
Jacobtm

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:34 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2009, 09:12:06 PM by Jacobtm »

Then someone gets shot. But you're pretending that this rule has any affect on the ability of people to carry guns. Anyone can conceal a handgun in their jacket, backpack or baggy pants. So if you're a violent type who shoots people randomly, you can already bring your gun.

In fact, a gunless fight occurred at my school last year in which it might've turned out better if some sane, law-abiding citizens actually did carry guns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/06/27/2008-06-27_binghamton_university_student_at_heart_o.html

At a bar in Binghamton, where I go to school, a 6'9" basketball player stomped a 130 pound kids head in and put him in a coma for nearly a year. The kid couldn't stop him, no one around could stop him, and the guy beat him until he decided to leave and flee.

The bar is centrally located near other bars, and so there are always cops on the street. Literally there are cops no more than 15 feet from teh doorway of the bar, where this occured, and the guy got away after stomping this guys head in and nearly killing him.

Another situation where if some law-abiding, non-crazy citizens had guns that things could've turned out for the better, but in this case, the 6'9" guy can do whatever he wants.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2009, 09:13:32 PM by blagohair.com »

For the record, I am uncertain about the wisdom of this bill, especially given that college students are not necessarily renowned for their maturity.  That having been said, those states that have liberalized gun laws are not exactly swimming in blood with decaying bullet-ridden corpses behind every closed door either, while cities that tend to have the strictest gun control laws typically have the highest crime rates.  Let Louisiana legalize the right of college students to bring concealed weapons on campus, and see what happens.  One thing is for certain -the gun ban on the Virginia Tech campus didn't do jacksh**t for anyone except give the perpetrator some peace of mind in knowing that no one would be able to fight back.    

the reason they have strict gun control is because of the high crime rates.  it's not the other way around.  i can understand that gun laws should be different in urban and rural areas, but nothing that i have read here has convinced me that guns should be allowed on a college campus.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies