Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:51:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?"  (Read 13815 times)
SamInTheSouth

« on: May 29, 2009, 08:00:28 PM »

Meanwhile, idiots like DeMint are untouchable.  Guys like that are the definition of what's wrong with the party than right.

What makes Jim DeMint an idiot?  You said yourself you wanted a party that is socially moderate and fiscally conservative.  DeMint is certainly a social conservative, but he doesn't run around with a holier than thou attitude wearing his morality on his sleeve, does he?  As for fiscal issues, DeMint is one of the strongest in the Senate in opposing reckless spending by both parties in Washington.

I myself am a social moderate, but I would take 100 senators in Washington like Jim DeMint any day.  If the GOP wants to become relevant again they need a strong platform of fiscal responsibility and limited government, exactly what DeMint has been advocating.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »

DeMint is certainly a social conservative, but he doesn't run around with a holier than thou attitude wearing his morality on his sleeve, does he?

I guess DeMint's "single mothers shouldn't be allowed to teach" position doesn't count.

Find me a politician in Washington that hasn't said something stupid.  Our VP is an expert at it.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »

What is Simmons running for?  He got knocked out in 06 and Shays lost in 08.  At least Rell will get re-elected. 

It's a shame Castle from DE never runs for a Senate seat. 

The problem is, the ones in our party that keep losing are us RINOs.  Smith loses, Sununu loses, Chafee loses, Simmons loses, Shays loses, our 2 Rinos from NH lose (forget their names), and Hagel was forced to retirement. 

Meanwhile, idiots like DeMint are untouchable.  Guys like that are the definition of what's wrong with the party than right.

Simmons is running against Chris Dodd and doing remarkably well so far, one poll had him at 50 and leading by double digits. Though an probably an outlier other polls show him leading by 5 to 8 points which is extremely good this far out against an incumbent.

Simmons is a fantastic candidate for that seat.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

Actually Lunar, I didn't like any of the 2008 candidates, the GOP deserved to lose.

For all of the bitchin' about McCain supporting the financial bailout, regardless of how you feel about it, if McCain opposed it, Obama would have opposed it as well

Based on what evidence?
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 08:54:27 PM »

In hindsight, Romney was the best GOP choice for November 2008. He wasn't the best GOP choice in January 2008, though, so he didn't win.

I disagree.  Romney was too inconsistent with where he stood on too many issues.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies