Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:00:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?"  (Read 13889 times)
Mint
YaBB God
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:18:47 AM »

The GOP ran the most moderate candidate they could and got massacred. Yeah, that's what the people want. The problem is, people saw McCain and Obama and said, "What the hell is the difference?".

McCain lost mostly because the economy tanked and his VP choice went from a PR master stroke to a disaster. If Palin didn't have the baggage she did and the economy stayed more or less the same as 2007 then there's a decent chance he would have maintained his mid/late August edge in the polls. As it stands 46% of the vote in such an anti-Republican year is pretty remarkable.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 06:35:20 AM »

In the end that's all that matters. If people were really paying attention Obama would have a low 50's approval rating. From where I sit now I hardly see the economy improving in any way. All we have to look forward to is some lagging European style economy, high tax rates and no potential for future growth.

Until the mother of all backlashes hits that is. I wouldn't be despairing entirely yet.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2009, 08:07:45 AM by Mint »

In hindsight, Romney was the best GOP choice for November 2008. He wasn't the best GOP choice in January 2008, though, so he didn't win.
I disagree.  Romney was too inconsistent with where he stood on too many issues.

The public image fabricated by the media for Romney was inconsistent, not Romney.  Romney's only problem was that he learned too well from his father's mistake of talking too much and didn't talk enough.  He was too guarded and careful, which is what led to his being labeled a used car salesman and a snake in the grass.  The media had nothing on him and he wasn't giving them anything, so they made their own stories about him.  Romney was absolutely the best choice for us in the election and the only nay-sayers to that already decided a long time ago that they hate him.  He was articulate, intelligent, and careful and those characteristics in a candidate for President are highly useful.  He was arguably the only GOP candidate that could beat Obama in a debate.

Oh come on Fezzy. Romney went from running as a pro choice, log cabin endorsed, anti-gun northern Republican to running as a pro-life, vehemently anti gay marriage, NRA member. I'm not going to say he flipped on more issues than Obama or McCain. In fact I'd say they flipped on more ass. But as far as his image goes that's pretty much of his own doing. The good news is he has 3 years to stay on message and sell his strengths (business expertise, executive experience, etc.).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies