Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:55:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the GOP eventually bite the bullet and start nominating "moderates?"  (Read 13817 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 29, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »

Barry stated before his death that the party went way too far right and that was back in 98.

Which is pretty funny, considering he opened the door for the racists and lunatics back in 1964. He wanted a conservative party, and he got one...

What Rob said. Tragic considering Goldwater personally didn't have a racist bone in his body.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 07:38:26 AM »

If you've spent as much time as I have studying Romney (weird I know) you'd know that what he was doing was not being dishonest or acting in self-interest, it was trying to be everyone's candidate. 
[/quote]

Says it all. Funny how many Republicans went from decrying Kerry as a "Massachusetts flip-flopper" to supporting Romney only a few years later.....
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »

If you've spent as much time as I have studying Romney (weird I know) you'd know that what he was doing was not being dishonest or acting in self-interest, it was trying to be everyone's candidate. 
Says it all. Funny how many Republicans went from decrying Kerry as a "Massachusetts flip-flopper" to supporting Romney only a few years later.....

Nice cherry-picking on top of assuming I was one of those Republicans.  All around great post, thanks for your input. Roll Eyes

1) Note I said (accurately) "many Republicans", not "fezzyfestoon".
2) Sure I could've gone on at great length about Romney's undeniable 180 degree flip on countless major issues, instead I chose that one sentence as a concise summary of a defense of an indefensible proposition---that Mitt Romney is no more wishy-washy or ungrounded or unprincipled than any other politician.

Seriously, can anyone think of another prominent politician who has changed his standing so completely and quickly on so many policies?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:45:17 AM »

Nice cherry-picking on top of assuming I was one of those Republicans.  All around great post, thanks for your input. Roll Eyes
1) Note I said (accurately) "many Republicans", not "fezzyfestoon".
2) Sure I could've gone on at great length about Romney's undeniable 180 degree flip on countless major issues, instead I chose that one sentence as a concise summary of a defense of an indefensible proposition---that Mitt Romney is no more wishy-washy or ungrounded or unprincipled than any other politician.

Seriously, can anyone think of another prominent politician who has changed his standing so completely and quickly on so many policies?

1) Then why quote me if I have nothing to do with the Republicans you're mentioning?
2) Go right ahead and do so.  In case you don't know already, there are volumes of factual information available regarding Romney's actual record (not the one manufactured to smear him) in my post history.  I reccommend you read up on that before spewing the repetitive, debunked nonsense I have spent years now dismissing.  And yet somehow, people still think they're being original and intellectually challenging by questioning Romney's record on social issues.  Thanks but no thanks.

1) My quoting you to critique your defending Romney and the comparison of many Romeny supporters criticizing Kerry as a flip-flopper were largely unrelated. The latter was merely a tangent I went off on. Again, "many Republicans", not "Fezzy Festoon".

2) No, I don't think questioning Romney's blatant wholesale flip-flopping on many issues is either original or intellectually challenging. It's like challenging DeMint or Inhofe for being extremely conservative, or former Rep. Bob Ney for being corrupt: Obvious on its face and well-documented in the public record. That's why I tried to be concise (though am obviously failing the longer this back and forth goes on).

Now defending Romney as a man of principle who sticks to his guns--that's "original and intellectually challenging", to put it nicely.

(BTW: Although I only recently began posting to the forum I've been an active lurker for almost three years. So trust me that I've read your and others' valiant attempts to spin Romney as ideologically consistant, I just don't buy it as all evidence is clearly to the contrary.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »

(BTW: Although I only recently began posting to the forum I've been an active lurker for almost three years. So trust me that I've read your and others' valiant attempts to spin Romney as ideologically consistant, I just don't buy it as all evidence is clearly to the contrary.)

Then you must not have done a very good job and as usual have already decided against Romney before looking into the facts behind his record and positions.  Go lurk some more and read up on my posts about Romney as I'm sure you actually have not, based on your posts about him.  When you do you'll come across some startling facts *gasp* that serve as real evidence of Romney's record.

I really need to master all the icons for posts; I've never needed a rolling eyes emoticon more than now. kthxbye
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »

Then you must not have done a very good job and as usual have already decided against Romney before looking into the facts behind his record and positions.  Go lurk some more and read up on my posts about Romney as I'm sure you actually have not, based on your posts about him.  When you do you'll come across some startling facts *gasp* that serve as real evidence of Romney's record.
I really need to master all the icons for posts; I've never needed a rolling eyes emoticon more than now. kthxbye

You're going to fit in well here, nice and oblivious...yet somehow shockingly arrogant about it.  Interesting how politics draw in people like this.

kthxbye2
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies