GOP Sees California as winnable (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:02:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  GOP Sees California as winnable (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP Sees California as winnable  (Read 7818 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: March 01, 2004, 02:28:44 AM »

Bush lost California by 11 points last time.  A good showing would be if he cut it to 7 or 8 this time.  It's not possible to win there.  Forget it.  Defend the red states and attack something at least half way realistic like say Pennsylvania.  Rove wasted time and millions in California last time.  It was a complete wasted effort and I hope he learned his lesson.

I respectfully disagree sir.  GW is a wise man who learned from the mistakes of his father.  They didn't campaign in '92 and the GOP lost both houses of the leg and pretty much everything else.  Rove campaigned hard here in '00 and did well, at least we still have the largest GOP delegate in the house.  (not for long, Tom Delay's meddling fingers saw to that Wink  

Bush wants to spend some of that warchest out west, my friend.  Unless those fascists McCain and Feingold prevent it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 02:31:29 AM »

haha.  i think they could catch john kerry in bed with a prostitute, and hed still win cali.

...as a Californian let me assure you that this would only get him more votes....assuming she was hot!

don't you mean unless he was hot.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 03:50:21 PM »

all you have to do in California...(not that you will ever have to) is run an ad reminding people about Roe v Wade and the fact that we havent had a new justice in like 11 years (which is a record)

...in fact I would like to see the dems use a womans right to choose the way the republicans are using gay marraige (since the majority of americans support choice)

...we can play the culture war too

Do you actually believe that if Roe v Wade was overturned it would make any difference in your life whatsoever?  I just want to know whether you're a fool or a liar.  Look, man.  I think abortion should be safe, legal, and federally funded (clearly a one-time shot of $400 is a helluva lot better deal than fifty thousand over the next eighteen years.)  Frankly, every republican I know does too.  But why the  are we still debating this anyway?

Oh, yeah, now I remember.  Thanks for reminding me how utterly nasty and underhanded the Dems are.  And as soon as I get my confederate battle flag out of the dry-cleaners, I'm going to yeson57and58 rally.  Maybe you'll counterdemonstrate?  
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 01:01:32 AM »

No sir, without Roe v Wade you would not!  That is exactly the mischaracterization the Democrats have successfully pursued for years!  You really should look it up.  I, too, am ardently pro-choice, as are most of the republicans I know personally.  I know I'm a smartass most of the time but I was dead serious about that.  Man, this is what really steams me.  This is why I'm a republican.  The lies, mischaracterizations, and general misleading of the Left leaves me exasperated.  Your general lack of wisdom is exceeded only by your bigotry.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 01:15:36 AM »

Irreverence aside, I think we might have a great deal of overlap, markdel.  I have read the constitution many many times and try very hard to interpret it.  Everyone looks at me strange when I say bush is a liberal, or I support abortion rights, or I oppose the currently proposed amendment, but I consider myself rather conservative fiscally.  On foreign policy, you and I may have some disagreement.  Mine are summed up by NHpolitico's signature file.  Part of the reason I'm a republican has to do with my love for personal liberty, appointment of constructionist judges (whether or not I agree with them), and national defense.   But a big part of the reason for me is a rejection of the intolerance and narrow-mindedness of the Left.  You're talking to someone who voted for the Duke in '88 and Clinton in '92 and'96.  I may be a newly converted Republican, but I am not a soft Republican.  And I do love my country.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 01:20:30 AM »

scalia's a special case.  yes, bork was shafted.  No one deserved the treatment he (or Thomas, for that matter) received at the hands of the Democrats.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 01:35:49 AM »

Okay, here's how I see that.  On a personal note, CaliforniaDreamer, I have been there too.  I have had my girlfriend look me in the eye and say we're pregnant ("We, you got a mouse in your pocket, bitch?").  Been there, done that.  You gotta figure out what's causing that man, and get it fixed!  I'm no biology teacher, but I think I may know.  What I wanted to say was "You're not actually going to have that bastard are you?!"  Harsh, yes.  True, alas.  I'm an irresponsible er, and you shouldn't judge my kind by my irresponsible behavior.  The choice was hers!  

Now, what you may not realize is that those who oppose abortion on principle do so in accordance with deeply held moral beliefs.  They view it as murder.  Do you get that?  Murder!  It's not a joke man, and it's not a cultural war.  I stick my foot in my mouth as much as my president, I'm sure, but I swear to whatever gods there be that I mean no offense.  I know serious religious christians (and others as well) that I'd trust with my life.  I'd close my eyes and let them take me to the ends of the world.  This is not patronization.  This is the truth.  You have never appreciated the freedoms that our forefathers defined, that our brothers have shed the blood for.  I'm not sure I do either, but I'll not have you impugn the deeply held moral beliefs of my countrymen.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 01:49:11 AM »

Indeed I have.  I'm always moaning about the intolerance of the Left, and I do realize my credibility is undermined by my hypocrisy.  I have called Democrats morons, liberals, jackasses, and worse.  It's exactly the vitriol that drove me away from the DNC in the first place.  Did I mention I actively campaigned for Michael Dukakis?  Well, this is a tough issue, you must admit.  And I'm quite sure it fractures my party more so than it does yours.  In my mind, that is further evidence of the Big Tent about which I sardonically spoke in my previous posts.  

I apologize for having spoken in haste and anger, CaliforniaDreamer.  I hope we can continue this productive dialogue.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 02:46:54 AM »

Hindus consider cows sacred...and wished everyone would stop eating their ancestors.

I respect their beliefs but they dont have the right to keep me out of Burger King.

Look, I see your point.  You may be surprised to learn that many of us do.  And your metaphoric description isn't bad.  (well, we could pick apart your definition of respect but) all I'm saying is that this is an example of a snap judgement of the political right.  You actually make a better point by pointing out the platform.  Actually, Barbara and Laura were both specifically stifled on this issue as they disagree with the status quo.  I realize this cuts into my argument about acceptance within the GOP.  So do you.  But that's okay, I want to flay this fish.  Listen to the Zephyr Song by the red hot Chili Peppers.

Oh, and on the Roe v Wade thing, I was emphasizing that it was much like plessy v fergusson (1940s I think, upheld) and brown v board of education arkansas (1954?, overturned) states rights.  In this state, "states rights" would definitely imply that your life isn't affected.  Of course you can read between and outside the lines and say, well someone's life if affected.  No doubt.  

It's late.  I'm stoned.  Let's call it quits for now.  Peace.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 02:52:10 AM »

yes markdel I misseds the signifigance of those two important schools decisions.  Feel free to diatribe  ;0
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies