Sen. Thune (SD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:55:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Sen. Thune (SD)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. Thune (SD)  (Read 4036 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:22:17 PM »

While I am a moderate, he is one of my favorite conservatives in the Senate.  Is he safe in 2010 or any potential problems?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:13:44 AM »

He's only in any real danger if Rep. Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin runs, and I think she's looking at becoming Governor as opposed to U.S. Senator, so I'd say he's pretty safe until/unless she changes her mind.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:16:58 AM »

Thune is safe in 2010. 

South Dakota is one of those places where completely safe senators can exist that are close to the mainstream of different parties.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »

He's probably safe if Stephanie runs too, which is why she won't.  She's definitely looking at the governor race instead, but is probably even a little wary of that.
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2009, 08:21:23 AM by Ringorules »

I spent all of September doing research in South Dakota, and often asked random people who would win a Thune vs. Sandlin Senate matchup.  Everyone said they liked Sandlin, and it would be a close race, but Thune would win.  This isn't scientific polling, of course, just emperical observations.

I agree with the general consensus here- Sandlin would be a strong, perhaps unbeatable, candidate for governor, and I strongly expect to see her on a national ticket at some point in my lifetime.  Because SD only has one congressional district its very easy indeed for a congresswoman to jump to a higher office, as she is known state-wide.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »

Thune will win easily.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 11:52:46 PM »

I would be interested to see some hypothetical general election match-up polls between Sandlin and Thune. I think Thune would have the edge, but Sandlin would definitely make it a race to watch in an otherwise safe GOP seat.

Everyone on here seems to like Mr. Thune. He's very good to look at, but not much fun to listen to. Tongue
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:15:54 AM »

I would be interested to see some hypothetical general election match-up polls between Sandlin and Thune. I think Thune would have the edge, but Sandlin would definitely make it a race to watch in an otherwise safe GOP seat.

Everyone on here seems to like Mr. Thune. He's very good to look at, but not much fun to listen to. Tongue

Kos had a poll a couple of months ago. It showed Thune beating Sandlin and Daschle by a similar 12-13 point margin (around 51-38).
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:31:21 AM »

Kos had a poll a couple of months ago. It showed Thune beating Sandlin and Daschle by a similar 12-13 point margin (around 51-38).

Thank you px75.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »

Thank you px75.

Similar to the Oklahoma polls of Coburn vs. Henry.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 07:53:35 PM »

I think it's unlikely Herseth will challenge Thune.  She is in a perfectly safe House seat.  Why give that up to run a race that she may or may not win, when she can stay in a House seat that she will definitely win.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 10:27:20 PM »

That's her best option, followed by running in the open election for governor. Running for Senate against a relatively popular incumbent in what's likely to be a mildly pro-Republican environment would really make no sense.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »

SamInTheSouth

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »

If Sandlin does run for higher office that will leave her seat as a good pick up opportunity for the Republicans in the House.  Sandlin was preceded by a Republican who resigned due to a manslaughter conviction from an auto accident.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »

Although I love Sandlin to death if it was a Thune v. Sandlin senate race. I'd vote Thune. Thune is conservative and I like him better.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 02:37:06 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2009, 11:37:52 AM »

I've been a little surprised by the lack of a good challenger here. Thune narrowly won 6 years ago after narrowly losing 6 years earlier. SD isn't that red a state and Thune is about as conservative a senator there is outside the south or upper Rockies. I recall one of his big campaign claims was swearing could keep the state's big airbase open even without the pull of being Minority Leader like Daschle, but sure enough it closed within a year of his election. Surely there's someone other than Sandlin on the Dem. bench who could give this guy a serious run?
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »

I've been a little surprised by the lack of a good challenger here. Thune narrowly won 6 years ago after narrowly losing 6 years earlier. SD isn't that red a state and Thune is about as conservative a senator there is outside the south or upper Rockies. I recall one of his big campaign claims was swearing could keep the state's big airbase open even without the pull of being Minority Leader like Daschle, but sure enough it closed within a year of his election. Surely there's someone other than Sandlin on the Dem. bench who could give this guy a serious run?

The reason the elections were so close is because of the incumbent factor and also because South Dakota is a Republican state.  Anybody other than Herseth would have a very difficult time against Thune (and Herseth would have a hard time too).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »

The reason the elections were so close is because of the incumbent factor and also because South Dakota is a Republican state.  Anybody other than Herseth would have a very difficult time against Thune (and Herseth would have a hard time too).

Yeah, it's definitely red rather than purple. But SD still has willingly elected Democrats to the Senate and Congress for decades (and not particularly Blue Dog conservatives either). Johnson and Sandlin were first elected reletively recently, y'know. This tradition gave me hopes of a serious challenge to Thune next year, but it doesn't look likely. ):-(
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »

What do you mean narrowly losing 6 years earlier. 6 years early Thune was reelected to the House. In 2002, 2 years prior to beating Daschle, he narrowly lost to Tim Johnson.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »

What do you mean narrowly losing 6 years earlier. 6 years early Thune was reelected to the House. In 2002, 2 years prior to beating Daschle, he narrowly lost to Tim Johnson.

Yeah, that's what I meant. My bad.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »

He's totally safe.  That why Sandlin is going to run for Governor instead.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies