Gov. Dave Freudenthal (D-Wyo.) Most Popular Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:47:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gov. Dave Freudenthal (D-Wyo.) Most Popular Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gov. Dave Freudenthal (D-Wyo.) Most Popular Governor  (Read 4360 times)
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:35:03 AM »

Nate Silver at 538.com made a list of the most popular governors in the country:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/06/gubernatorial-power-rankings-crist.html

Who's the most popular governor in the land? A fairly well-informed observer might guess Jon Huntsman, Jr. of Utah (who won't be a governor for much longer), Charlie Crist of Florida or Sarah Palin of Alaska. Those would all be pretty good guesses, except for Palin, who was once extremely popular in Alaska, but no longer is. The answer, however, appears to be Governor Dave Freudenthal of Wyoming, who when his approval was last tested back in August, was viewed favorably by some 81 percent of voters.

What makes this more remarkable is that Freudenthal is a Democrat -- something which a only 26 percent of Wyoming voters are (52 percent are Republicans). On the other hand, Freudenthal has one big advantage: Wyoming is a small state, and as our own Andrew Gelman has noted, it seems to be much easier to maintain higher approval scores when you have fewer constituents to please.

1. Dave Freudenthal (D-Wyoming)
2. Charlie Crist (R-Florida)
3. M. Jodi Rell (R-Connecticut)
4. Jon Huntsman Jr. (R-Utah)
5. Mike Beebe (D-Arkansas)
6. Mitch Daniels (R-Indiana)
7. John Lynch (D-New Hampshire)
8. Phil Bredesen (D-Tennessee)
9. Ted Strickland (D-Ohio)
10. Rick Perry (R-Texas)
11. Bobby Jindal (R-Louisiana)
12. Brad Henry (D-Oklahoma)
13. John Hoeven (R-North Dakota)
14. Pat Quinn (D-Illinois)
15. Jay Nixon (D-Missouri)
16. Linda Lingle (R-Hawaii)
17. Dave Heineman (R-Nebraska)
18. Jack Markell (D-Delaware)
19. Tim Kaine (D-Virginia)
20. Ed Rendell (D-Pennsylvania)
21. Sonny Perdue (R-Georgia)
22. Brian Schweitzer (D-Montana)
23. Bob Riley (R-Alabama)
24. Jan Brewer (R-Arizona)
25. Tim Pawlenty (R-Minnesota)
26. Jim Douglas (R-Vermont)
27. Mark Sanford (R-South Carolina)
28. Joe Manchin III (D-West Virginia)
29. Kathleen Sebelius (D-Kansas)
30. Steve Beshear (D-Kentucky)
31. Martin O'Malley (D-Maryland)
32. Chet Culver (D-Iowa)
33. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-California)
34. Mike Rounds (R-South Dakota)
35. Beverly Perdue (D-North Carolina)
36. Sarah Palin (R-Alaska)
37. Bill Ritter (D-Colorado)
38. Haley Barbour (R-Mississippi)
39. John Corzine (D-New Jersey)
40. John Baldacci (D-Maine)
41. Ted Kulongoski (D-Oregon)
42. Bill Richardson (D-New Mexico)
43. Christine Gregoire (D-Washington)
44. Butch Otter (R-Idaho)
45. Jim Doyle (D-Wisconsin)
46. Donald Carcieri (R-Rhode Island)
47. Jennifer Granholm (D-Michigan)
48. Deval Patrick (D-Massachusetts)
49. Jim Gibbons (R-Nevada)
50. David Peterson (D-New York) 
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:42 AM »

Otter and Doyle being so low is surprising to me, as is Strickland being that high. 

And I get how he did this but there's no way Arnold is more popular in California than Palin is in Alaska.  I also really doubt Pat Quinn is the 14th most popular governor in the nation.

Other than that it looks about right.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 03:08:59 AM »

I started to map these out to indicate some sort of geographic consistency (say, small, resource-rich states do better) but I realized there doesn't seem to be a sort of coherency about some of the ordering.

It is interesting to think about the popularity of a moderate in a partisan state versus an ideologue (Perry?) in a partisan state.

I suspect that the more polled a governor is, the less popular he is, for one thing, resulting in some craziness at the top.  The list seems to have other problems as well.

Are John Baldacci and Ted Kulongoski and Haley Barbour really neighbors to John Corzine in the popularity charts?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:38:42 AM »

Nate explains that it's basically just a rating of net approvals, handicapped for state size (larger states are often more critical than smaller states of their elected officials) and partisan composition of the state (one would expect a Democrat to more easily be popular in New York than in Wyoming).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 04:24:17 AM »

Wow, the GOP has the four most popular governors in the country on their side. At least they have something. Smiley
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 04:30:37 AM »

3 of which have been repeatedly dubbed RINOs (probably a legitimate label for Rell)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 06:40:55 AM »

Otter and Doyle being so low is surprising to me, as is Strickland being that high. 

Otter called for an increase in the state's gas tax, which is predictably unpopular. He's been fighting with the state legislature about it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »

Corzine at only 39th out of 50? Only three places below Palin and one below Barbour? That's either some hopeful news for Cozine or an indictment of Nate Silver's methodology. I give a 50/50 chance for either in this case.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2009, 11:48:03 AM by Mr. Moderate »

Yeah, I'm definitely calling foul on this one.  And not just because Freudenthal was named "best" based on a poll that is about 10 months old at this point.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 11:53:47 AM »

50. David Peterson (D-New York) 

I'm sure David Paterson is relieved.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with everyone who says that being moderate seems to pay off in partisan states. Take a look at Brad Henry right here.
First off, Oklahoma like I've said countless times before, is a batsh*t insane state. How batty? I've heard at least 3 Republican office holders call "the homosexual agenda" worse than terrorism. That's how far right Oklahoma is.
Now onto the point: In 2006 Brad Henry, a moderate Democrat, was re-elected with 65% of the vote. 65%! His Republican opponent only got a measly 35% of the vote against him (I think, it could've been lower)!
It just proves my hypothesis: Nobody likes partisan hacks.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »

I'm going to have to agree with everyone who says that being moderate seems to pay off in partisan states. Take a look at Brad Henry right here.
First off, Oklahoma like I've said countless times before, is a batsh*t insane state. How batty? I've heard at least 3 Republican office holders call "the homosexual agenda" worse than terrorism. That's how far right Oklahoma is.
Now onto the point: In 2006 Brad Henry, a moderate Democrat, was re-elected with 65% of the vote. 65%! His Republican opponent only got a measly 35% of the vote against him (I think, it could've been lower)!
It just proves my hypothesis: Nobody likes partisan hacks.

Oh wait, he's behind Jindal. Damn it. There goes my hypothesis.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 07:20:17 PM »

And Henry is behind the pro-secessionist Rick Perry, who's just as partisan if not more than Jindal. Agreed, Oklahoma is a crazy state. I've never been there but from the way people talk about it on here, it seems like a scary place - it must be like running in Nazi Germany there. But at least Democrats there know how to pick a good presidential candidate when they see one. Smiley (See Oklahoma Democratic Primary, 2008). But at the same time, I'm intrigued as to how John Edwards received 10 percent of the vote in the primary there. If you choose to play the bigotry card, these must be extremely conservative people who wouldn't vote for a black man or a woman. That's insane.  But, Oklahoma is the home state of Carrie Underwood so there's something good that's come from the Sooner State Cheesy

I'm glad to see my Governor ranked so highly at #15. That's much better than #49 when we had that douche bag Matt Blunt, who was just above Mr. Corruption Ernie Fletcher of Kentucky.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 06:27:07 AM »

And Henry is behind the pro-secessionist Rick Perry, who's just as partisan if not more than Jindal. Agreed, Oklahoma is a crazy state. I've never been there but from the way people talk about it on here, it seems like a scary place - it must be like running in Nazi Germany there. But at least Democrats there know how to pick a good presidential candidate when they see one. Smiley (See Oklahoma Democratic Primary, 2008). But at the same time, I'm intrigued as to how John Edwards received 10 percent of the vote in the primary there. If you choose to play the bigotry card, these must be extremely conservative people who wouldn't vote for a black man or a woman. That's insane.  But, Oklahoma is the home state of Carrie Underwood so there's something good that's come from the Sooner State Cheesy

I'm glad to see my Governor ranked so highly at #15. That's much better than #49 when we had that douche bag Matt Blunt, who was just above Mr. Corruption Ernie Fletcher of Kentucky.

Yes, it is a pretty bad. I knew some neo nazis at my school.
I think the reason John Edwards got that many votes is because he's a Southerner (call it the Bill Clinton effect). The biggest reason Hillary got so many votes is because as much as people around here disagree with a lot of her policies they remember her as the wife of Bill Clinton (who is very well liked among the Democrats in this state, at least in my experience). It also has to do with the neighboring state effect (Hillary used to live in Arkansas).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies