Question from a citizen to the delegates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:18:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Constitutional Convention (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Question from a citizen to the delegates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question from a citizen to the delegates  (Read 7694 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 06, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »

Considering every new member clamors for the maintenance of the regions, I don't understand why you continue to deny their ability to help orient people to the game.

It is my understanding that this convention was called for by the President because he believed that the entire system of government in Atlasia needed to be looked at because of the low activity. Perhaps activity was a problem in the past, but look at the turnout for the special election. Look at the regional senatorial races, 3 out of 5 of the races are contested. Yes, all regions but the Mideast are dead, but regional reform is needed, not a new national constitution.

I would also like to express my uneasiness about the new constitution. I mean really, parliament? Ministers? Dissolution of congress? This all sounds more like a European style of democracy, not a US style.

So my question is, do we really need such a radical overhaul of the system? For reasons I stated above, wouldn't it be quicker, easier, and better for Atlasia as a whole if some constitutional amendments were passed? For example, minimum GM activity levels, or shorter senatorial terms.

The recent activity is heartening to see, I will admit. However, the issues in Atlasia, from inactive members to delinquent officers to dead regions and everything in between, require more than just new members. It takes an overhaul.

As for European vs. US, I urge you to read through the proposals themselves. The Parliamentary Bicameralism, although it has the world parliament in its title, is actually much closer to the American bicameral legislature than what we have now, including conference, joint sessions, etc. It proposal takes from both systems and makes a suitable combination for this game.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:29:28 AM »

Considering every new member clamors for the maintenance of the regions, I don't understand why you continue to deny their ability to help orient people to the game.

Because it's easy to imagine new members orienting to the game anyway.  You'll notice that the vast majority of replies to Vepres's Senatorial declaration were from either non-Midwesterners or me/Lewis trying to educate him on the culture of the Midwest (efforts entirely rebuffed Cry).  Very little input was given from Midwestern citizens.  In fact, the response to his PM campaign to Midwesterners-only was apparently so negative that he quit the campaign rather than keep running.  The fact that he stayed in the race for so long and remains active despite what he considers his cool reception from Midwesterners testifies to the fact that it is Vepres—emphatically not the Midwestern Region—that is the reason that Vepres is so active.

Because the Mideast Senate seat is more of a federal office than a regional one. Which is why Vepres should have first sought to join a regional legislature (although that is sorely lacking in most of the regions) in order to gain the confidence of Midwestern voters and some experience. Why not try regional reform before simply throwing them away?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:44:16 AM »

I'm not talking activity. I'm talking introduction and orientation to the game. Without that you have new members running for federal office before they are ready.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 12:08:18 PM »

I'm not talking activity. I'm talking introduction and orientation to the game. Without that you have new members running for federal office before they are ready.

Well, that's partly addressed by universalism; new players would have the chance to immediately gain experience in the legislature because they would be considered a part of it right away.

But even without that, if there are no regional offices, than the default will become to run for national office immediately.  People won't be seen as "too inexperienced for national office" because it would be understood that the only office they would have a chance to run for is the national one.  If a non-universalist bicameral unitary system were passed, perhaps it would be considered the proper thing to do to run for the lower house before the upper one or something.

And in such a system I understand it. However, that isn't to say I agree with any proposal disregarding the regions. And the fact is, some people are just not familiar enough with Atlasia to hold federal office. Whether that's the only office they can run for or not, you should be more familiar with the game before taking positions like that. I think it denigrates the higher offices.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies