Dave's Redistricting App
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:32:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Dave's Redistricting App
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 48
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 308625 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2009, 09:14:55 AM »

Here is a map of NC with 14 districts(16EVs), (best map I could do with screen shot).

CD 1: (Blue): Has New Bern and Elizabeth City in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the slight to lean Democratic range. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: G. K. Butterfield (D) )

CD 2: Dark Green: Has Goldboro, Kinston and Southern Wake County in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the slight Democratic to Lean Democratic range. Due to popular Congressman, Lean Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Bob Etheridge (D) )

CD 3: Purple: Has Greenville, Jacksonville and Wilmington in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the Slight to Strong Republican range. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Walter B. Jones (R) )

CD 4: Red: Has Chaple Hill, Durham and Northern Wake County in it. I'm sure this is strong Democratic. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: David Price (D) )

CD 5: Yellow: Wilkesboro, Lexington and Mount Airy are in it. I'm sure this is strong Republican. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Virginia Foxx (R) )

CD 6: Tealish color: Winston-Salem, High Point and Western Guilford County are in it. I believe this is somewhere in the Lean to Strong Democratic. Democratic Pick-up (Current Congressperson: None ) *Note Coble doesn't live in this district any more.*

CD 7: Grey: Lumberton and Fayetteville are in it. I believe this would be Lean Democratic. Democratic Hold  (Current Congressperson: Mike McIntyre (D) )

CD 8: Light Purple: Salisbury, Albemarle and Sanford are in it: I believe this is in the toss-up range. IToss-up (Current Congressperson: Larry Kissell (D) )

CD 9: Light Tealish: Southern Charlotte, Monroe and eastern Gastonia are in it. I'm sure this is Strong Republican. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Sue Myrick (R) )

CD 10: Pink: Hickory, Statesville, Western Gasonia are in it. I'm sure this is strong Republican. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Patrick McHenry (R) )

CD 11: Lime: Asheville and Boone are in it: I believe this would be Slight Democratic. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Heath Shuler (D) )

CD 12: Light Blueish : Northern Charlotte and Concord are in it. I'm sure this is Strong Democratic. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Mel Watt (D) )

CD 13: Paleish Color: Raleigh and Cary are in it. I believe this would be in he Strong Democratic range. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Brad Miller (D) )

CD 14: Dark Yellow: Western Guilford County, Burlington and Eden are in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the toss-up range: Toss-up (Current Congressperson: Howard Coble (R) ) *Note: If Howard Coble does run in 2012, he will win hands down. But when it's open it is toss-up*

Make up before Redistricting: 8 Democratic Congressmember, 5 Republican Congressmember
Make up after Redistricting: 8 Democratic Congressmember, 4 Republican Congressmebmeber, 2 toss-up CD.

What do you guys think about this? Good, bad?

You are assuming of course that NC gains a seat, which isn't currently projected. That said, it's a nice looking map but the loss of both black-majority seats would be fatal at the DOJ. NC is covered under the stringent review of section 5 of the VRA and retrogression is not legal. So some unusual line drawing will be needed to be in compliance.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

I was thinking of doing a timeline in which Nixon refuses to resign and instead there was Constitutional change to dilute the presidency, ushering in a US Parliament. Anyway, I probably won't write it, but I've been using Dave's application and combined it with the suggestion from the cube root rule thread that the US would have 675 seats (and decided to give DC one of the 675 seats). I'm thinking I might turn it into a PM4E scenario. I can show you some of the maps I've drawn if anyone's interested. Since I don't like gerrymandering (and don't know internal state voting patterns anyway) I'm focusing predominantly on population equality with a secondary intention of not dividing counties (although that's more the case in some states than others), and I'm ignoring the VRA (since it's a scenario and since it's PM4E and elections rather than the more serious consequences of governance and minority representation). Anyway, if you're interested in seeing some of the maps I've drawn and perhaps guessing how they'd vote, I could start a new thread (so as to not clutter this one).
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #277 on: October 25, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »

Smid, that would be awesome Smiley
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #278 on: October 25, 2009, 08:58:39 PM »

I was thinking of doing a timeline in which Nixon refuses to resign and instead there was Constitutional change to dilute the presidency, ushering in a US Parliament. Anyway, I probably won't write it, but I've been using Dave's application and combined it with the suggestion from the cube root rule thread that the US would have 675 seats (and decided to give DC one of the 675 seats). I'm thinking I might turn it into a PM4E scenario. I can show you some of the maps I've drawn if anyone's interested. Since I don't like gerrymandering (and don't know internal state voting patterns anyway) I'm focusing predominantly on population equality with a secondary intention of not dividing counties (although that's more the case in some states than others), and I'm ignoring the VRA (since it's a scenario and since it's PM4E and elections rather than the more serious consequences of governance and minority representation). Anyway, if you're interested in seeing some of the maps I've drawn and perhaps guessing how they'd vote, I could start a new thread (so as to not clutter this one).

It sounds like an interesting project. A new thread would probably work best. However, I'm not sure if it fits better on the Elections What If board or better here. In any case if you are looking for advice, you should also define how close in population equality districts must be and what county splitting rules would be in effect. Since this happened after the 1960's I would expect the VRA to still apply.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #279 on: October 25, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2009, 09:35:46 PM by Smid »

It sounds like an interesting project. A new thread would probably work best. However, I'm not sure if it fits better on the Elections What If board or better here. In any case if you are looking for advice, you should also define how close in population equality districts must be and what county splitting rules would be in effect. Since this happened after the 1960's I would expect the VRA to still apply.

Yeah - I was going to put it on Elections What-If and then I was thinking, since it's based on changes to the structure of the elections, maybe it would belong better on Alternate History, or perhaps, since I'm thinking of making it a bit of a PM4E scenario, putting it on the Election Games thread. I'll probably go with Elections What-If, though.

Fair enough - I'll go with the VRA. The only Southern State I've done so far is Arkansas, so I don't think it will change anything I've already done, anyway. I might actually go back and re-do some of the ones I've done because I've been keeping the population to a difference of less than 1,500 voters (while Electorates contain around 440,000 voters), so the margin for error is probably smaller than necessary and a larger margin for error would lead to fewer county splits. Generally, I've tried to keep cities together because I think there is more likely to be a "community of interest" keeping a city in a single district (or combining a couple of cities together) and keeping rural areas in a state in a separate district, rather than combining rural and city areas in a single district. In other words, not like Regina in Saskatchewin (https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=98141.msg2069872#msg2069872), where the city is divided across about four different ridings and each is combined with a large rural area. I'll start that new thread soon, and I think I'll go with the Elections What-If board.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #280 on: October 25, 2009, 10:37:24 PM »

Here is a map of NC with 14 districts(16EVs), (best map I could do with screen shot).

CD 1: (Blue): Has New Bern and Elizabeth City in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the slight to lean Democratic range. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: G. K. Butterfield (D) )

CD 2: Dark Green: Has Goldboro, Kinston and Southern Wake County in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the slight Democratic to Lean Democratic range. Due to popular Congressman, Lean Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Bob Etheridge (D) )

CD 3: Purple: Has Greenville, Jacksonville and Wilmington in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the Slight to Strong Republican range. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Walter B. Jones (R) )

CD 4: Red: Has Chaple Hill, Durham and Northern Wake County in it. I'm sure this is strong Democratic. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: David Price (D) )

CD 5: Yellow: Wilkesboro, Lexington and Mount Airy are in it. I'm sure this is strong Republican. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Virginia Foxx (R) )

CD 6: Tealish color: Winston-Salem, High Point and Western Guilford County are in it. I believe this is somewhere in the Lean to Strong Democratic. Democratic Pick-up (Current Congressperson: None ) *Note Coble doesn't live in this district any more.*

CD 7: Grey: Lumberton and Fayetteville are in it. I believe this would be Lean Democratic. Democratic Hold  (Current Congressperson: Mike McIntyre (D) )

CD 8: Light Purple: Salisbury, Albemarle and Sanford are in it: I believe this is in the toss-up range. IToss-up (Current Congressperson: Larry Kissell (D) )

CD 9: Light Tealish: Southern Charlotte, Monroe and eastern Gastonia are in it. I'm sure this is Strong Republican. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Sue Myrick (R) )

CD 10: Pink: Hickory, Statesville, Western Gasonia are in it. I'm sure this is strong Republican. Republican Hold (Current Congressperson: Patrick McHenry (R) )

CD 11: Lime: Asheville and Boone are in it: I believe this would be Slight Democratic. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Heath Shuler (D) )

CD 12: Light Blueish : Northern Charlotte and Concord are in it. I'm sure this is Strong Democratic. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Mel Watt (D) )

CD 13: Paleish Color: Raleigh and Cary are in it. I believe this would be in he Strong Democratic range. Democratic Hold (Current Congressperson: Brad Miller (D) )

CD 14: Dark Yellow: Western Guilford County, Burlington and Eden are in it. I believe this would be somewhere in the toss-up range: Toss-up (Current Congressperson: Howard Coble (R) ) *Note: If Howard Coble does run in 2012, he will win hands down. But when it's open it is toss-up*

Make up before Redistricting: 8 Democratic Congressmember, 5 Republican Congressmember
Make up after Redistricting: 8 Democratic Congressmember, 4 Republican Congressmebmeber, 2 toss-up CD.

You are assuming of course that NC gains a seat, which isn't currently projected. That said, it's a nice looking map but the loss of both black-majority seats would be fatal at the DOJ. NC is covered under the stringent review of section 5 of the VRA and retrogression is not legal. So some unusual line drawing will be needed to be in compliance.

I used the App to try to remake NC-1(The one with a black majorty) and it seems like it isn't at 50.1% anymore, but at 48-43 black majorty.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #281 on: October 25, 2009, 11:44:25 PM »

I used the App to try to remake NC-1(The one with a black majorty) and it seems like it isn't at 50.1% anymore, but at 48-43 black majorty.

This is my version with 13 CDs.

Both CD 1 and 12 are just barely over 50%. Since the districts are smaller in population for 14 CDs they should be easier to make.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2009, 11:55:16 PM »

Show off Tongue I'm going to work on it again! Also, in your map I live in CD 6, in the one I made I live in CD 14.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #283 on: October 26, 2009, 12:57:45 AM »

NC-01 is probably not majority-black, which runs into VRA issues. Also, NC-12 goes too far into the suburbs to be safe for Mel Watt.

I also don't know that NC-11 needs to be shored up that much for Shuler. He seems perfectly capable of holding that district, since no serious Republican seems to want to run against him.

Where can I find the VRA rules?

Basically, the rule is that you can't dilute the minority presence in a majority-minority (at least 50.1% black or Hispanic) district. Coalition districts (say, one that was 40% black and 15% Hispanic) are not protected, however.

Worst.  Law.  Ever.  BTW

By its very nature it ensures ridiculous gerrymandering, and it's positive effects for minority representation are highly questionable.  It often leads to the creation of a couple of districts with a 60 percent or greater minority presence when almost any redistricting without the rules would create several districts with 30 percent minority representation.  When you want to dilute the chances of an opposition party picking up more seats, you generally create as many districts with super-majorities of that parties voters as possible.  If your goal were to ensure the election of fewer black candidates, and lessen overall minority political power, then I couldn't think of a much better way to do so than the regulations of the VRA.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #284 on: October 26, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »

NC-01 is probably not majority-black, which runs into VRA issues. Also, NC-12 goes too far into the suburbs to be safe for Mel Watt.

I also don't know that NC-11 needs to be shored up that much for Shuler. He seems perfectly capable of holding that district, since no serious Republican seems to want to run against him.

Basically, the rule is that you can't dilute the minority presence in a majority-minority (at least 50.1% black or Hispanic) district. Coalition districts (say, one that was 40% black and 15% Hispanic) are not protected, however.

Worst.  Law.  Ever.  BTW

By its very nature it ensures ridiculous gerrymandering, and it's positive effects for minority representation are highly questionable.  It often leads to the creation of a couple of districts with a 60 percent or greater minority presence when almost any redistricting without the rules would create several districts with 30 percent minority representation.  When you want to dilute the chances of an opposition party picking up more seats, you generally create as many districts with super-majorities of that parties voters as possible.  If your goal were to ensure the election of fewer black candidates, and lessen overall minority political power, then I couldn't think of a much better way to do so than the regulations of the VRA.

You'd probably still have to maintain at least a 40% black minority in order for black candidates to win in most of the South.  30% might be sufficient in some of the northern cities but Southern whites are nearly as polarized towards Republicans as blacks voters are towards Democrats.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2009, 02:43:12 AM »

Worst.  Law.  Ever.  BTW

By its very nature it ensures ridiculous gerrymandering, and it's positive effects for minority representation are highly questionable.  It often leads to the creation of a couple of districts with a 60 percent or greater minority presence when almost any redistricting without the rules would create several districts with 30 percent minority representation.  When you want to dilute the chances of an opposition party picking up more seats, you generally create as many districts with super-majorities of that parties voters as possible.  If your goal were to ensure the election of fewer black candidates, and lessen overall minority political power, then I couldn't think of a much better way to do so than the regulations of the VRA.

You'd probably still have to maintain at least a 40% black minority in order for black candidates to win in most of the South.  30% might be sufficient in some of the northern cities but Southern whites are nearly as polarized towards Republicans as blacks voters are towards Democrats.

I can't speak for the rest of the south, but I know here, in North Carolina. Places that have a high black population, are very liberal areas anyways.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #286 on: October 26, 2009, 07:10:37 AM »

Worst.  Law.  Ever.  BTW

The Gingles test requires an analysis of ethnic bloc voting. If that pattern is present and there is 50% in a compact area then the VRA requirements come into play. It's possible that some VRA districts don't currently have bloc voting that prevents the minority group from electing the candidate of their choice, but most mappers will err on the side of judicial safety by creating the district anyway.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #287 on: October 26, 2009, 01:57:14 PM »

How do you save a map off of the app?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #288 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:19 PM »

The help link on the app actually worked pretty well for me. If you have any problems after those steps let me know and I'll try to fill in.
Devilman88

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: October 26, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »

CD-1(Blue): 50-42 Black majorty.
CD-12(Light Blue): 52-30 Black Majorty.

So what do you guys think about this one? Good Bad?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2009, 08:41:45 PM »

Worst.  Law.  Ever.  BTW

And yet one could easily argue that this kind of segregation increases polarization by decreasing political interaction.

90% of the South never has an opportunity to take a good look at a Black candidate, while that's all 105 of the South sees.  In the meantime, by creating this black/white, liberal/conservative polemic, you insure that the most extreme candidates will be elected, especially in terms of racial issues.  It becomes an issue of the "ultra-conservative, reactionary, racist cracker" in one districts vs the "ultra-liberal, socialist, damn complaining, lazy n***er" in the other.  The perception is fed by the separation, which in turn causes a greater separation.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #291 on: October 30, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »

The right way to achieve minority representation (if that is what is desired) is not gerrymander, but elements of PR. Might require constitutional changes (or, at least, new court rulings), but it would get to the objective without the present-day contortions.
Joe Cooper
Rookie
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

http://www.redstate.com/merrimackman/2009/12/05/maryland-2012-redistricting-map/

Red state has a redistricting plan using daves tool

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2009, 09:42:55 PM »

Hmm, well, that's interesting, I guess.

Here are some random maps that I've had for a while but haven't bothered to post.

First, a Democratic gerrymander of Idaho. Still two Republican districts, but the blue one is as Democratic a district as you'll be able to make in the state.

Reversed situation for Maine. Green district takes in as much Republican territory as possible (and may have been won by Bush 2000, but I wouldn't know):

My attempt to make an Obama district in West Virginia. By my calculations, I came up short, but the blue district still probably voted around 48-49% for Obama:

And finally, what the Republicans will probably do in Utah, turn Salt Lake County into a replica of the Four Corners Monument, with Matheson in the green district, so he gets to run in the last part of the state he hasn't had to run in yet:

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #294 on: December 06, 2009, 01:02:19 AM »

I had put together a map of MD a couple of years ago based on 2010 projections. I adapted it to the 2008 data on the App to get the following map.

The districts are all within 100 persons of the ideal number, and were designed to minimize the number of split counties. There are Two majority Black districts. Using the voting data on the App, here's how they come out with the percentage of the two-party 2008 presidential vote:

CD-1 (blue) R+16
CD-2 (green) R+9
CD-3 (purple) R+3
CD-4 (red) D+41
CD-5 (yellow, 67% Black) D+73
CD-6 (teal) D+2
CD-7 (gray, 63% Black) D+76
CD-8 (lavender) D+48
Kevinstat

« Reply #295 on: December 06, 2009, 05:22:08 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2009, 10:43:03 PM by Kevinstat »

Reversed situation for Maine. Green district takes in as much Republican territory as possible (and may have been won by Bush 2000, but I wouldn't know):

Dave's app for Maine is rather useless because Maine's "voting districts" according to the Census Bureau (which Dave uses in his app) are chunks of territory in the same State House, State Senate and (County) Commissioner districts from before the 2003 redistricting in Maine.  Congressional districts didn't matter: Albion and Benton in Kennebec County were in different CDs back then (and still are, but the other way), but were both (along with Unity Township which was and still is in all the same election districts as Albion) in "Voting District 141063, Kennebec County" as they were all in the Senate District 14, House District 106 and Commissioner District 3.  Wayne and Fayette in Kennebec County were also in different CDs back then but shared all state and county elected officials (they're now in the same CD but in different House districts) and are thus shown as being in the same voting district by both the Census Bureau and Dave's app.  Some of the voting districts are incorrect even by that standard (Cape Elizabeth and Limington were split between House districts but are shown as being entirely in one of them (in Cape Elizabeth's case the district entirely in that municipality that included most of that town; Limington didn't have a whole district but a majority of its population was probably in the same House district the entire town is shown as being in).  Some islands and island towns and one of the two chunks of Lewiston that were in the southern Lewiston House district but in the all-Lewiston Senate district (the rest of that House district was in a Senate district based in Auburn) are shown on Dave's app as having no people even though they did as of the 2000 census and probably the estimates used as the entire popluation of that "voting district" is attributed to another island or a portion of the mainland in all the same districts in the first case or the other chunk of Lewiston with those same districts in the second case.

Perhaps Dave could be persuaded to use Block Groups for Maine as they would be smaller and be confined to one municipality in much of the state.  Maybe the Census Bureau also has polygons for county subdivisions.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #296 on: December 12, 2009, 10:47:02 AM »

Dave's added partisan data to New York now; you have to click the "Use Test Data" button before loading the map to get it to work. If you want to create a 57-42 McCain district in Brooklyn, now you can.
Joe Cooper
Rookie
« Reply #297 on: December 12, 2009, 11:24:36 PM »

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy92/Joe_Cooper/ny-59McCain.jpg

59% McCain district
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #298 on: December 13, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »

Eagle on a cactus? Anybody sees a Mexican conspiracy here?

Let's call it tequilamander.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »

Dave's added partisan data to New York now; you have to click the "Use Test Data" button before loading the map to get it to work. If you want to create a 57-42 McCain district in Brooklyn, now you can.

Where is the button?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies