Dave's Redistricting App (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:47:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Dave's Redistricting App (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 310037 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: October 30, 2009, 05:10:31 PM »

The right way to achieve minority representation (if that is what is desired) is not gerrymander, but elements of PR. Might require constitutional changes (or, at least, new court rulings), but it would get to the objective without the present-day contortions.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »

Eagle on a cactus? Anybody sees a Mexican conspiracy here?

Let's call it tequilamander.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »

Dave's added partisan data to New York now; you have to click the "Use Test Data" button before loading the map to get it to work. If you want to create a 57-42 McCain district in Brooklyn, now you can.

Where is the button?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:18:39 PM »

tnx
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »

I was interesting in seeing what was the whitest and least-white congressional district anyone can make in any state?

Based on 35 districts in Texas I easily got a district that's 3% White and 96% Hispanic. I am sure, minor play w/ boundaries would get Hispanics to 97%.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »

I managed to draw a 60% white district in Minnesota. Someone do better. This district is a real work of art by the way, it goes out from the Twin Cities the Red Lake Reservation and the precincts in Rochester with high black populations to the heavily Native precincts in Duluth.

Got much better: 52% white, 20% black, 12% Hispanic, 11% Asian, 2% Nat. Am., 3% other. And it didn't really have to get that ugly: w/ exception of couple precincts (which I could probably drop without major harm, it all fit into the Hennepin and Ramsey counties. I don't think I can get it under 50% white, though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »

It is possible, btw, to draw a majority-minority CD in Wisconsin. It looks hideous, though, because the Milwaukee ghettos have to be connected via very thin strips with high-minority areas of Racine and Kenosha.

I tried to get a seat as low white as possible, and got one to 42% white.

I got it to 41% white without much trouble. I think, 48% white is possible without Racine and Kenosha, all just from 1 county (simply try to include every precinct in and around Millwaukee w/ 75% or less white (for contiguity, a few 80%-white and over precincts will go in).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies