Dave's Redistricting App (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:01:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Dave's Redistricting App (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dave's Redistricting App  (Read 309438 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« on: August 17, 2010, 03:13:02 AM »

Nice maps sbane. Too bad if the redistricting initiative passes (I can't imagine that it will not), it all will be totally illegal. Tongue  Plus, even if it does not pass, Governor Whitman would veto it. Smiley

Hmm, I don't see what's so wrong with my gerrymandering at all, besides not being visually pleasing enough for Xahar. I mean a district that includes both Long Beach and Compton makes a lot of sense doesn't it? Of course it also contains Seal Beach and Cypress. Tongue Or the district that joins Sunny hills in Fullerton to Huntington park. There's a lot of epic gerrymandering in there. I'm particularly fond of the central valley districts. I didn't know 3 Hispanic districts could be created there.

3 Hispanics won't be elected though in the central valley. The most Hispanic county in California, Tulare, votes GOP like clockwork.

I find it interesting that the three most Hispanic districts in the Central Valley are represented by members of Portuguese descent - Cardoza, Costa, and Nunes. Do their names help them? What percentage would it take to elect an Hispanic in that region?

Hmm, should have done a little research before I assumed they were hispanic. I am fairly sure their names help them rather than hurt them. I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the electorate think they are hispanic.

They look like Whites.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:43:29 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2010, 11:47:18 AM by phknrocket1k »

Nice maps sbane. Too bad if the redistricting initiative passes (I can't imagine that it will not), it all will be totally illegal. Tongue  Plus, even if it does not pass, Governor Whitman would veto it. Smiley

Hmm, I don't see what's so wrong with my gerrymandering at all, besides not being visually pleasing enough for Xahar. I mean a district that includes both Long Beach and Compton makes a lot of sense doesn't it? Of course it also contains Seal Beach and Cypress. Tongue Or the district that joins Sunny hills in Fullerton to Huntington park. There's a lot of epic gerrymandering in there. I'm particularly fond of the central valley districts. I didn't know 3 Hispanic districts could be created there.

3 Hispanics won't be elected though in the central valley. The most Hispanic county in California, Tulare, votes GOP like clockwork.

I find it interesting that the three most Hispanic districts in the Central Valley are represented by members of Portuguese descent - Cardoza, Costa, and Nunes. Do their names help them? What percentage would it take to elect an Hispanic in that region?

Hmm, should have done a little research before I assumed they were hispanic. I am fairly sure their names help them rather than hurt them. I wouldn't be surprised if a large portion of the electorate think they are hispanic.

They look like Whites.

They look Hispanic to me...Nunes especially.

By the Hispanic standards of the Central Valley, most of whom have significant Native American ancestry, all 3 of them would be perceived as White.

Than again they would perceive the Cubans and Puerto Ricans of Miami to be White as well.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »

Generally, people of European descent who did not make a detour through Latin America on their way to the U.S. are not considered Hispanic or Latino.

True.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:42:06 AM »

Generally, people of European descent who did not make a detour through Latin America on their way to the U.S. are not considered Hispanic or Latino.

Oh of course. But someone who just looks at their name and their pictures (especially Nunes) might assume they are Hispanic.

Spanish-Americans are actually considered Hispanic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies