2000 Timeline (COMPLETE)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:44:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000 Timeline (COMPLETE)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Author Topic: 2000 Timeline (COMPLETE)  (Read 107525 times)
GLPman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »

Quick Point GLPman: Daschle is not pro-choice, at least not to the extent that Kerry or someone else is. Actually he is probably as mainstream as it gets: 50% rating by NARAL, opposed to partial-birth abortions, supportive of stem-cells. Other than that, Great TL!

My mistake, thank you for correcting it. I've edited it. Glad you enjoy the TL.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 12:21:14 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2009, 12:23:40 PM by GLPman »

June 2000: Campaigning kept going as June arrived. Both candidates started the month out by trying to appeal to voters in Iowa, a state that had constantly had very close results when polled over the past few weeks. Clinton, whose approval ratings were still at 58%, stuck to the advice of top Democrats to not campaign with Daschle. Campaigning with Daschle was suggested to Vice President Al Gore, however. At a rally in Des Moines, Vice President Gore greeted a large crowd of supporters and had the honor of introducing Senator Daschle.

Gore was a good campaigning tool and his presence definitely unified the Democrats that had been split on Daschle and Kerry. Similar to Senator Daschle, Governor Bush also had a campaign tool of his own: his father, former President George H.W. Bush. Bush's connection to his father, who hailed over the success of the Gulf War in the early 90s, ensured that the majority of US Veterans were supporters of Bush.

By mid-June, there had been enough polls to finally determine which states were tossups and which wons would be claimed by the Democrats or the GOP. It was still only June, however, and there were still many campaign stops to be made.
Red - Safe Democrat
Pink - Leaning Democrat
Light Blue - Leaning GOP
Blue - Safe GOP

NATIONWIDE POLL
If the United States Presidential Election was held today, who would you vote for?
Bush: 52.1%
Daschle: 47.1%
Other: 0.8%

On June 14th, Governor Bush was seen meeting with Trent Lott and Tom Ridge at his Crawford Ranch in Texas. The scene created speculation among the media that the Bush was considering choosing one of the two men as his Vice Presidential candidate. There were no sources to back this up, however, and Bush said the men were only talking about campaigning.

On June 20th, with the party conventions a little over two months away, several new polls were released.

IOWA POLL - JUNE 20 2000
Which presidential candidate will you support in the 2000 Presidential Election?
Bush: 50.2%
Daschle: 48.6 %
Other: 1.2%

MISSOURI POLL - JUNE 20 2000
Which presidential candidate will you support in the 2000 Presidential Election?
Bush: 52.9%
Daschle: 46.1%
Other: 1.0%

NEVADA POLL - JUNE 20 2000
Bush: 51.8%
Daschle: 45.2%
Other: 3.0%

NEW MEXICO POLL - JUNE 20 2000
Daschle: 50.3%
Bush: 48.2%
Other: 1.5%

PENNSYLVANIA POLL - JUNE 20 2000
Daschle: 50.9%
Bush: 47.5%
Other: 1.6%

WISCONSIN POLL - JUNE 20 2000
Daschle: 50.8%
Bush: 47.7%

The addition of Vice Presidential picks would obviously affect the polls and outcome of the election, as well. Campaigning and polling continued as June came to a close and July rolled around.

(VP picks will be in next update)
GLPman
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »

July 2000: For the first three weeks, July was not as busy and intense as some of the previous months had been. Bush continued to attack Daschle's policies and Daschle continued to attack Bush's policies. Speculation about possible VP picks for both candidates continued, but there was never any supporting evidence. Vice President Al Gore continued to campaign with Senator Daschle while Clinton sat out. All in all, the first three weeks were very much of the same thing.

On July 26th, Governor Bush announced that he would be making his VP pick the following morning. The media quickly once again began the VP speculation. Many analysts at FOX News endorsed a Bush/Lott ticket since Lott's experience in the Senate would put him in competition with Daschle. Opponents of the Bush/Lott ticket turned to a Bush/Ridge ticket, in which the Pennsylvania Governor could help Bush capture the Keystone State. Senator Daschle was also eager to see Governor Bush's VP pick, since it would affect his.

On the morning of July 27th, in Milwaukee, Governor Bush announced that his running mate was Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson.

Thompson would help Bush's performance in the midwestern states, specifically in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa - places that he had consistently been behind Daschle. Thompson was the only Governor in Wisconsin's entire history to serve an unprecedented four terms. Several news stations praised the VP pick because the ticket was comprised of two hard-working and well-liked Governors, and the ticket had enough balance to appeal to moderates, as well. Thompson made a speech, in which he thanked Governor Bush for his selection and called for voters' support to carry the Bush/Thompson ticket to victory in November.

The Republican National Convention began on July 31st in Philadelphia. The convention's first speaker was Colin Powell. The Republicans rallied throughout the night as the Bush/Thompson ticket, as well as the concepts and ideas of the Republican Party, were praised.

August 2000: The Republican National Convention continued into the first few days of blistering August. On August 2nd, Governor Thompson gave his address to the convention.
"We've all seen the work of the Democrats over the past eight years. We've seen our government expand and our Oval Office abused. In Wisconsin, programs were so bad that I had to reform them myself, with little aid from the government. We need to restore America! Governor Bush and I need your support in November so that the 21st century can begin very differently than how the 20th century ended. This country needs new leadership, and Governor Bush and I are here to take on the challenge of bringing this wonderful country into the next century!"

Crowds went wild, holding up signs that read "Tommy" in bold letters. Bush's VP pick had been a good one and now the Democrats had to either top it or match it. The next day, following his nomination, Governor Bush delivered his speech.
"America prospered under the administrations of Reagan and Bush, and yet, now, under the reign of the Democrats, we feel and see our presence throughout the world diminished. At home, Democrats have failed to deliver the promises that they outlined so many years ago. Elect the man who you know, from experience, will keep his promises and deliver leadership. I am your man, America."

Several polls were released following the end of the convention on August 3rd.

IOWA POLL - AUGUST 5 2000
Bush: 52.4%
Daschle: 46.5%
Other: 1.1%

NEVADA POLL - AUGUST 5 2000
Bush: 53.0%
Daschle: 44.2%
Other: 2.8%

WISCONSIN POLL - AUGUST 6 2000
Bush: 52.4%
Daschle: 46.1%

Daschle knew he would have to make a good VP selection. He had narrowed it down to three excellent candidates and just had to make the final selection. The Democratic National Convention, in Los Angeles, was only two weeks away...

GLPman
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 05:19:17 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2009, 05:51:54 PM by GLPman »

August 2000 (continued)Sad On August 5th, in front of a huge crowd of his supporters in Pennsylvania, Senator Daschle slammed President Bush's nomination speech and described the Governor as "confused" and "misleading." Daschle's numbers in the polls had been slipping ever since the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia, which had concluded only two days before, but the South Dakota Senator knew it was because he hadn't selected his VP yet, nor had the Democratic National Convention happened yet. Daschle announced that he would announce his VP selection on the 10th of August in Des Moines.

On August 10th, in Des Moines, Senator Daschle announced that he selected Vermont Governor Howard Dean as his running mate.

Dean's experience and accomplishments as a Governor made the double-Governor Republican ticket seem shaky. Senator Daschle brought experience from the Senate, while Dean brought his experience from the Governor's Office of Vermont. Democrats everywhere applauds the selection because it brought balance to the ticket. Additionally, it kept the New England Democrats happy, most of whom had been upset about the loss of Senator Kerry in the Democratic primaries. Dean had been in the first few contests of the Democratic Primaries, so voters were aware of who he was, too. It was believed that the addition of Dean of the ticket may help bring New Hampshire to the Democrats, as well.

On August 14th, the Democratic National Convention began in Los Angeles. The keynote speaker was Tennessee Representative Harold Ford, Jr. Vice President Al Gore made a speech praising the Daschle/Dean ticket. President Clinton, who made his speech on the second night, right before Governor Dean, delivered a similar message:"There is no doubt in my mind that these two men can carry out the prosperity that our country has seen over the past eight years."

Governor Dean delivered his speech to the Convention shortly after.
"I know exactly what you're thinking -- another Governor? Yes, I'm afraid we now make up seventy-five percent of the two main tickets running for the White House," Dean joked. "But let me explain to you how the two-Governor Republican ticket falls short: in Vermont, I have been elected to four two- year terms. When I first entered office, Vermont had a $60 million budget deficit, yet we now have a nearly-perfect balanced budget. I also established a healthcare system for children and pregnant women and, as a result, child abuse and teen pregnancies in Vermont dropped by almost fifty percent. This past April, Vermont signed a law legalizing same-sex unions - something the people of Vermont called for and desired. No other Governor pulled off such amazing results during their terms - especially not Governors Bush and Thompson."

Supporters throughout the Convention all cheered "DEAN!" at the end of the Governor's speech. The Vermont Governor was clearly the right choice for the ticket. The following night, the last night of the Convention, Seantor Daschle delivered his nomination speech.
"A few weeks ago in Philadelphia, Governor Bush delivered a speech to his supporters in which he  made the claim that the United States prospered only under the Reagan and Bush administrations, and that our presence in the world is now 'diminished.' We must live in different countries; let me tell you what I see in the United States of America as a result of the past eight years: I see a deficit that has turned into a surplus, I see 22 million new jobs, I see a nation that has reached out and provided support to nations in jeopardy. Therefore, I would say the past eight years have indeed been some of the most prosperous of our history. As President, I will continue this prosperity."

As August concluded, polls were constantly released.

INDIANA POLL - AUGUST 20 2000
Which presidential ticket will you be supporting this November?
Bush/Thompson: 56.1%
Daschle/Dean: 42.5%
Other: 1.4%

NEW HAMPSHIRE POLL - AUGUST 20 2000
Daschle/Dean 51.2%
Bush/Thompson: 47.1%
Other: 1.7%

MICHIGAN POLL - AUGUST 23 2000
Daschle/Dean: 53.4%
Bush/Thompson: 45.0%
Other: 1.6%

OHIO POLL - AUGUST 23 2000
Bush/Thompson: 49.2%
Daschle/Dean: 48.8%
Other: 2.0%

WISCONSIN POLL - AUGUST 24 2000
Bush/Thompson: 50.3%
Daschle/Dean: 48.2%

If the polls were correct, the election was going to be very close.

JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 05:21:46 PM »

Good timeline, looking forward to election night.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »

Good timeline, looking forward to election night.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was originally going to continue the TL until the 2004 election, but if there is enough interest, I may keep it going all the way until present day.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 05:24:19 PM »

That would be great if you could.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:52 PM »

GLPman
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2009, 12:37:18 AM by GLPman »

September 2000: Not too much happened in September, spare for more polls and additional campaigning. Governors Thompson and Dean served as good campaigning tools to Bush and Daschle respectively. Democrats also made the decision to allow Bill Clinton to slowly become involved in campaigning with the Daschle/Dean ticket. It was thought that the President's presence would increase the number of supporters, unlike the primary season, since he now maintained an approval rating of 61%.
President Clinton attempting to rally voters in Miami.

On September 15th, the Summer Olympics begin in Sydney, Australia.

NATIONWIDE POLL - SEPTEMBER 21 2000
Bush/Thompson: 50.1%
Daschle/Dean: 47.9%
Other: 2.2%

In late September, Rasmussen released a "No Tossup States" map, which was based on the results of all the polls that had conducted and gave the state to the ticket that was currently leading.
Bush/Thompson - Blue
Daschle/Dean - Red

October 2000: The 2000 Summer Olympics conclude in Australia.

Election season was closing in. On October 3rd, the first presidential debate was held at the Washington University in St. Louis. Both Daschle and Bush came off looking quite professional and well-informed. Daschle argued that the United States was enjoying a time of prosperity, the foundation of which was established by eight years of Democratic rule. Bush, on the other hand, argued that the country was headed in the wrong direction and that conservatism and values had to be restored. Polls showed Daschle won the debate, but only narrowly.

POST-PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE POLL - OCTOBER 4 2000
Who do you think won the first Presidential debate?
Daschle: 51.6%
Bush: 48.4%

On October 5th, the first and only Vice Presidential debate was held in Danville, Kentucky. Viewers agreed unanimously that Howard Dean, who appeared younger and more in touch with voters, trumped over Tommy Thompson.

POST-VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE POLL - OCTOBER 6 2000
Who do you think won the Vice Presidential debate?
Dean: 58.2%
Thompson: 41.8%

The second presidential debate occurs on October 11th and is considered a win for Governor Bush.

On October 12th, the USS Cole, stationed in Yemen, is attacked and damaged by two suicide bombers. The attack was interpreted as an act of terrorism against the United States. It is later determined that the terrorists were part of an organization known as Al-Qaeda.

On October 17th, the final debate between Daschle and Bush took place. The debate is considered a win for Daschle.

POST-PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE POLL - OCTOBER 19 2000
Overall, do you think Senator Daschle or Governor Bush performed better in the debates?
Daschle: 52.6%
Bush: 47.4%

While Bush had come off as young, Daschle was viewed as more experienced. People who wanted a change from the Clinton years had no problem placing support behind the Texas Governor, but people who had enjoyed the Clinton presidency and wanted to see his policies continue rushed to support Daschle. By the end of October, Election Night was the only thing on everybody's mind. Some polls were released right before the month ended.

FLORIDA POLL - OCTOBER 24 2000
Bush/Thompson: 51.5%
Daschle/Dean: 46.5%

IOWA POLL - OCTOBER 24 2000
Bush/Thompson: 49.3%
Daschle/Dean: 49.3%

INDIANA POLL - OCTOBER 24 2000
Bush/Thompson: 56.1%
Daschle/Dean: 42.5%

OHIO POLL - OCTOBER 25 2000
Bush/Thompson: 49.1%
Daschle/Dean: 48.9%
Other:

OREGON POLL - OCTOBER 25 2000
Daschle/Dean: 50.3%
Bush/Thompson: 47.6%
Other: 2.1%

PENNSYLVANIA POLL - OCTOBER 26 2000
Daschle/Dean: 52.7%
Bush/Thompson: 45.0%
Other: 2.3%

October came to a close with both tickets holding rallies. An interview with Governor Bush on Fox News arose interest, particularly due to the sound bite from the interview that was played constantly. In the interview, Governor Bush was asked if he was worried about a Democrat victory in November. To this question, Bush calmly responded, "Absolutely not. I think we all know what happened the last time a Senator from South Dakota ran for President."
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »

How close is South Dakota?
GLPman
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 01:28:20 AM by GLPman »

November 2000:

Election Night 2000 - Pre-6:00pm EST
"Welcome to Election Night! This evening we will be following the much-anticipated Presidential Election and be reporting the results to you as the evening progresses. A quick recap for those who are not big on politics and are tuning in: Vice President Al Gore decided not to seek the Democratic nomination for President. South Dakota Senator Tom Daschle won the Democratic Primary last March and selected Vermont Governor Howard Dean as his running mate. The Democrats face Texas Governor George W. Bush, son of former President George H.W. Bush, as the challenger to the White House. Governor Bush selected Wisconsin Governor Tommy Thompson as his running mate.
South Dakota Senator Tom Daschle

Texas Governor George W. Bush

If we look at our map, as we will be throughout the night, we see that a GRAY STATE indicates that a state has not been called yet; a GREEN STATE indicates that a state is too close to call; a RED STATE indicates a state called for the Democrats; and a BLUE STATE indicates a state called for the Republicans. 270 electoral votes are required to win. We will also be reviewing Senate election results throughout the night, as well."

Election Night 2000 - 6:00pm

"We're back and ready to report some results that we are receiving right now. We are now ready to make a projection at this time. We can call the state of Kentucky for Governor George Bush. At this time, the state of Indiana is too close to call."

Kentucky

Governor George W. Bush

Election Night 2000 - 6:30pm

"At this time we are ready to project that the state of Indiana, a state that has traditionally been Republican in recent years, will continue its trend. Indiana will go to Governor George Bush.

Indiana
Governor George W. Bush

In thirty minutes, the polls close in multiple states, including the swing states of Florida and several districts of New Hampshire. We will return in just a minute, folks."

Election Night 2000 - 7:00pm

"We have several projections to make at this time. We can now call the states of Georgia, South Carolina, and Virginia for Governor Bush. We can also project the state of Vermont, the home state of Governor Howard Dean, Senator Daschle's running mate, for the Democrats. Florida and New Hampshire are too close to call at this time."

Georgia
Governor George W. Bush

South Carolina
Governor George W. Bush

Virginia
Governor George W. Bush

Vermont
Senator Tom Daschle

Senator Tom Daschle - 3
Governor George W. Bush - 54
GLPman
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 02:27:41 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 01:31:15 AM by GLPman »

November 2000 (continued)Sad

Election Night 2000 - 7:20pm

"We're going to take a quick look at Florida and New Hampshire now and see the results so far. Not all districts of New Hampshire have closed yet, nor have the counties in the Panhandle of Florida, a region that is very Republican. In only ten minutes, polls will close in Ohio, West Virginia, and in various counties of North Carolina."

FLORIDA - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
18% precincts reporting
Bush: 50.7%
Daschle: 47.2%

NEW HAMPSHIRE - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
27% precincts reporting
Daschle: 49.2%
Bush: 48.9%
Other: 1.9%

ELECTION NIGHT 2000 - 7:30pm

"Welcome back! Polls have just closed in West Virginia and Ohio, as well as several counties in North Carolina. At this time, Ohio and West Virginia are too close to call, but we can project North Carolina will go to Governor Bush.

North Carolina
Governor George W. Bush

This increases Governor Bush's electoral votes to 68.

"So, Jim, let's take a closer look at Ohio and West Virginia. What's the deal here?"
"Well, Rob, Ohio is a very crucial state because a Republican hasn't won the White House without taking Ohio. If we see George Bush take Ohio tonight, it's very likely that he will be the next President. The last poll in Ohio showed Senator Daschle and Governor Bush basically tied in the Buckeye state, however, so I don't think we're going to be ready to call this one for a while - it's going to be a tight race. West Virginia, on the other hand, is a state that voted for Bill Clinton in both '92 and '96. While polls have showed West Virginia heavily trending towards Governor Bush this election, I think we're playing it safe by waiting a while to call this one."

ELECTION NIGHT 2000 - 7:48pm

"I'm going to have to cut you off, Jim, because we have another projection to make. We are now able to call West Virginia for Governor George Bush. This is a state that has voted Democratic since 1984, so this is pretty big. Once again, West Virginia goes for Governor George Bush. The Texas Governor now holds 73 electoral votes to Senator Daschle's 3.

West Virginia
Governor George W. Bush

Florida, Ohio, and New Hampshire are still too close to call."

ELECTION NIGHT 2000 - 8:00PM

"Welcome back to Election Night 2000. We have several projections to make right now. We can project that Governor Bush will carry Alabama, Kansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and his home state of Texas. We project that Senator Daschle will take Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. At this time, we add Michigan, Missouri, and Pennsylvania to the states that are too close to call.

Alabama
Governor George W. Bush

Kansas
Governor George W. Bush

Mississippi
Governor George W. Bush

Oklahoma
Governor George W. Bush

Tennessee
Governor George W. Bush

Texas
Governor George W. Bush

Connecticut
Senator Tom Daschle

Delaware
Senator Tom Daschle

District of Columbia
Senator Tom Daschle

Illinois
Senator Tom Daschle

Maine (state)
Senator Tom Daschle

Maryland
Senator Tom Daschle

Massachusetts
Senator Tom Daschle

New Jersey
Senator Tom Daschle

Governor Bush still has the lead of Senator Daschle with 146 votes to 80."

Senator Tom Daschle - 80
Governor George Bush - 146

ELECTION NIGHT 2000 - 8:23PM

"We have two very big projections to make right now, only seven minutes before the half-hour mark. We can now call Michigan and New Hampshire for Senator Tom Daschle.

Michigan
Senator Tom Daschle

New Hampshire
Senator Tom Daschle

This increases Senator Daschle's electoral votes to 102. We also can show the results so far that are coming in from Missouri."

MISSOURI - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
26% precincts reporting
Daschle: 49.3%
Bush: 48.8%
Other: 1.9%  

ELECTION NIGHT 2000 - 8:28PM

"We're back from a quick break and ready to make another projection. We can now call the state of Florida for Governor George Bush."

Florida
Governor George W. Bush

Senator Tom Daschle - 102
Governor George W. Bush - 171

GLPman
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 08:46:41 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 11:44:26 AM by GLPman »

Election Night 2000 - 8:33PM

"Polls closed just three minute ago in the state of Arkansas and we are ready to project that the state, the home of President Bill Clinton, will go for Governor George Bush. This brings Bush's electoral count to 177."

Arkansas
Governor George W. Bush

Election Night 2000 - 8:50PM

"Welcome back, folks. We can now project that Pennsylvania, the Keystone State, will cast its 23 electoral votes for Senator Daschle. Despite the fact that Governor Bush performed better than expected, this is no surprise as polls showed Daschle in the lead numerous times. So there you have it -- Daschle wins Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania
Senator Tom Daschle

Missouri and Ohio are still too close to call. Senator Daschle seems to be performing quite above expectations in Missouri. Let's take a quick look at Ohio's results so far, with 49% precincts reporting."

OHIO - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
49% precincts reporting
Bush: 49.2%
Daschle: 48.8%

Election Night 2000 - 9:00PM

"As you can see, it's 9:00PM, which means polls have closed in several states and we are ready to make some projections! We can project that Governor Bush will carry the states of Louisiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wyoming. We can also project that Senator Daschle will take New York and Rhode Island. Several states at this time are too close to call, including Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, New Mexico, South Dakota and Wisconsin."

Louisiana
Governor George W. Bush

Nebraska (state)
Governor George W. Bush

North Dakota
Governor George W. Bush

Wyoming
Governor George W. Bush

New York
Senator Tom Daschle

Rhode Island
Senator Tom Daschle

Senator Tom Daschle - 162
Governor George W. Bush - 197

Election Night 2000 - 9:17PM

"Hold on, guys, we have three projections to make. We can now project that Missouri, South Dakota, and Arizona will go Republican. South Dakota, Senator Daschle's home state, has been a Republican stronghold over the past decades, so this does not come as a surprise, despite his popularity there."

Arizona
Governor George W. Bush

Missouri
Governor George W. Bush

South Dakota
Governor George W. Bush

These states bring Bush's electoral count to 219. The Texas Governor only requires 51 more votes to win the election. We're watching Colorado, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin very closely at this time."

Election Night 2000 - 9:58PM

"We have a big projection right now. We can now project that Ohio - the Buckeye State - will go to South Dakota Senator Tom Daschle. This is a big win because no Republican has ever won the White House without winning Ohio, which puts George Bush's campaign in a bit of a squeeze. Senator Daschle must be very pleased with these results. Once again, after a tight race in Ohio tonight, the Buckeye State  will go to Senator Daschle. We will be right back with our 10:00 projections."

Ohio
Senator Tom Daschle

Senator Tom Daschle - 183
Governor George W. Bush - 219

pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 09:23:24 PM »

Go Bush!!! Too bad he picked a horrible V.P!! Sad
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 02:28:33 AM »

The suspense sucks. This timeline needs to be finished immediately!
GLPman
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 01:33:44 AM by GLPman »

Election Night 2000 - 10:00PM

"Okay, so as I mentioned just a few moments ago, the Ohio has been called for Senator Tom Daschle. We are continuing to watch Colorado, Minnesota, New Mexico, and Wisconsin very closely at this time. It's now 10:00 on the East Coast and we have several projections to make. We can now call Idaho, Montana, and Utah for Governor Bush. These states have typically been Republican strongholds in past years, specifically Idaho and Utah, so these results are not at all surprising. Iowa, Nevada, and Oregon are too close to call at this time. Governor Bush now has 231 electoral votes.

Idaho
Governor George W. Bush

Montana
Governor George W. Bush

Utah
Governor George W. Bush

Election Night 2000 - 10:41PM

"Okay, we have breaking news in now. Governor Bush has defeated Senator Daschle in Colorado. That's right -- Colorado has gone for Governor Bush.

Colorado
Governor George W. Bush

Senator Daschle - 183
Governor George W. Bush - 239

"We're also getting results in from New Mexico and Wisconsin, the latter being the home state of Governor Tommy Thompson; these states are VERY close, folks."

NEW MEXICO - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
38% precincts reporting
Bush: 49.1%
Daschle: 48.6%
Other: 2.3%

WISCONSIN - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
40% precincts reporting
Daschle: 49.6%
Bush: 49.2%
Other: 1.2%

Election Night 2000 - 11:00PM

"Welcome back! This night is beginning to look like it will be a long one, as don't have any further projections to make on states that are too close to call. We do have some other projections to make, however, but none of which are surprises. We can now call the states of California and Hawaii for South Dakota Senator Tom Daschle. The addition of California and Hawaii's electoral votes brings Senator Daschle's count up to 241, compared to Governor Bush's 239, which means that Senator Daschle is ahead of Governor Bush for the first time this night. At this time, we are placing Washington in the "too close to call" category."

California
Senator Tom Daschle

Hawaii
Senator Tom Daschle

Senator Tom Daschle - 241
Governor George W. Bush - 239

Election Night 2000 - 12:00AM

"This is definitely going to be the long night we predicted, Jim. We have two projections for you viewers here at the midnight mark, and here they are: Alaska for Governor Bush and Washington for Senator Tom Daschle. Governor Bush is now ten electoral votes behind Senator Daschle.

Alaska
Governor George W. Bush

Washington
Senator Tom Daschle

It is becoming increasingly clear that this presidential election has come down to the West and Midwest. We're seeing very close results in the Upper Midwestern states, such as Minnesota and Wisconsin, but also in Western states such as Oregon, Nevada, and New Mexico. I think we can all agree that this night is going to be extremely interesting."

Election Night 2000 - 1:04AM

"We now have a projection to make: Iowa for Senator Daschle. Daschle seems to have done better than expected in the state. Daschle now has 259 votes, compared to Bush's 242.

IOWA - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
96% precincts reporting
Daschle: 50.9%
Bush: 46.9%
Other: 2.2%

Iowa
Senator Tom Daschle

Election Night 2000 - 1:42AM

"Hold on, we have another projection to make. After several hours, we are now ready to tell you that Wisconsin, the home state of Bush's VP pick, Governor Tommy Thompson, has cast its electoral votes for the Republican ticket. This is really turning out to be a remarkable election, Jim. The Republican ticket is now back down by 6 electoral votes, with 253 votes to the Democrats' 259. We're going to a quick break, but don't go anywhere, folks, because we still have four states to call and we expect this contest to be over sometime in the next hour or so."

Wisconsin
Governor George W. Bush

Senator Tom Daschle - 259
Governor George W. Bush - 253

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 06:18:05 PM »

You're EV count is off. In 2000, Minnesota had 10, Oregon had 7, New Mexico had 5, and Nevada had 4. All together, that equals 26 EV's, when technically, there are 27 EV's somewhere up for grabs. I beleive, the EV count should give Bush a 255-257 edge.
Wink
If so, I'm going to call it. Oregon and New Mexico go for Bush, while Nevada and Minnesota go to Daschle, creating a tie.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 11:53:35 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 11:51:46 AM by GLPman »

You're EV count is off. In 2000, Minnesota had 10, Oregon had 7, New Mexico had 5, and Nevada had 4. All together, that equals 26 EV's, when technically, there are 27 EV's somewhere up for grabs. I beleive, the EV count should give Bush a 255-257 edge.
Wink
If so, I'm going to call it. Oregon and New Mexico go for Bush, while Nevada and Minnesota go to Daschle, creating a tie.

Edit: Found the problem and fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out. EV count is now correct.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009, 01:38:38 PM »

How is Congress coming along?
GLPman
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2009, 02:15:19 PM »

All Congress results will be released following the completion of the Presidential Election and announcement of the 43rd President.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 01:35:41 AM by GLPman »

Election Night 2000 - 1:57AM

"And we're ready to make another projection: New Mexico for Governor Bush. This state was VERY close and now the state's five electoral votes now go to the Republican ticket. That brings Bush's electoral vote count to 258. He is only one vote behind Senator Daschle."

New Mexico
Governor George W. Bush

Election Night 2000 - 2:10AM

"We can project Minnesota will go to Senator Daschle. Similarly to New Mexico, Minnesota was very close.

MINNESOTA - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
99% precincts reporting
Daschle: 49.9%
Bush: 48.0%

Minnesota
Senator Tom Daschle

Senator Tom Daschle - 269
Governor George W. Bush - 258

This creates a very interesting situation right now. Senator Daschle is only one vote away from winning, so Bush MUST win the next state if he hopes to remain in the race. If Daschle wins both states, he wins the election. However, in a must unusual circumstance, if Bush wins both Nevada and Oregon, Bush and Daschle will both tie with 269 votes each. This is a most peculiar situation and we'll be right back after a short break."
GLPman
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »

November 2000:

Election Night 2000 - 2:19AM

"We're back. We now have received news that 99% of the precincts in Nevada are in and the state has gone for Governor Bush. That's right: Nevada has gone for Bush. Nevada's four electoral votes brings Bush's  count up to 262. It looks like this race has come down to Oregon. If Bush wins Oregon, then both candidates will be tied with 269 votes each. If Daschle wins, he will win the election. We expect to receive Oregon's results in the next five minutes."

Nevada
Governor George W. Bush

Senator Tom Daschle - 269
Governor George W. Bush - 262

(Next update: Oregon Results, Election Results, Congressional Election Results)

GLPman
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2009, 01:40:10 AM by GLPman »

Election Night 2000 - 2:25AM

"Okay, I'm receiving word that we're finally ready to call Oregon now. Okay, yup, here it is: Oregon, the final state remaining to cast its electoral votes tonight, will cast its vote for Senator Tom Daschle. Senator Daschle has won the state by 1.4%, according to the results we are getting in now.

Oregon
Senator Tom Daschle

OREGON - ELECTION NIGHT RESULTS
99% precincts reporting
Daschle: 49.8%
Bush: 48.4%
Other: 0.8%

Senator Thomas A. Daschle/Howard B. Dean - 276
Governor George W. Bush/Tommy G. Thompson - 262

Therefore, with the victory in Oregon, Daschle's electoral vote count is brought up to 276 and he thus wins the election over Governor George Bush. This has certainly been a long night, and Tom Daschle emerged victorious; he will be the 43rd President of the United States."

The 43rd President of the United States of America
Thomas A. Daschle

After what had seemed like a never-ending primary and election season, a winner had finally been declared. The Daschle/Dean ticket had emerged victorious and the Democrats would hold the White House for four more years. Governor Bush, who did not ask for a recount of Oregon, conceded the race in Texas and called for unity as the United States forged its way into the 21st century. Not all was bad for the Republicans, however: despite the loss in the Presidential Election, Republicans had a majority in the Senate.

Senate Election Results, 2000

Bold indicates a pickup:
Arizona - John Kyl (R) is re-elected over William Toel (I)
California - Dianne Feinstein (D) is re-elected over Tom Campbell (R)
Connecticut - Joe Lieberman (D) is re-elected over Phillip Giordano (R)
Delaware - Thomas Carper (D) is elected over William Roth (R)
Florida - Bill Nelson (D) defeats Bill McCollum (R)
Georgia - Zell Miller (D) is re-elected over Mack Mattingly (R)
Hawaii - Daniel Akaka (D) is re-elected over John Carroll (R)

Indiana  - Richard Lugar (R) is re-elected over David Johnson (D)
Maine - Olympia Snowe (R) is re-elected over Mark Lawrence (D)

Maryland - Paul Sarbanes (D) is re-elected over Paul Rappaport (R)
Massachusetts - Ted Kennedy (D) is re-elected over Jack E. Robinson III (R)

Michigan - Debbie Stabenow (D) defeats Spencer Abraham (R)
Minnesota - Rod Grams (R) is re-elected over Mark Dayton (D)
Mississippi - Trent Lott (R) is re-elected over Troy Brown (D)
Missouri - John Ashcroft (R) is re-elected over Mel Carnahan (D)
Montana - Conrad Burns (R) is re-elected over Brian Schweitzer (D)
Nebraska - Ben Nelson (D) is elected over Don Stenberg (R)
Nevada - John Ensign (R) is elected over Edward Bernstein (D)
New Jersey - John Corzine (D) is elected over Bob Franks (R)
New Mexico - Jeff Bingaman (D) is elected over William Redmond (R)

Ohio - Marke DeWine (R) is re-elected over Ted Celeste (D)
New York - Hillary Rodham Clinton (D) is elected over Rick Lazio (R)
North Dakota - Kent Conrad (D) is re-elected over Duane Sand (R)

Pennsylvania - Rick Santorum (R) is re-elected over Ron Klink (D)
Rhode Island - Lincoln Chafee (R) is re-elected over Robert Weygand (D)
Tennessee - Bill Frist (R) is re-elected over Jeff Clark (D)
Texas - Kay Bailey Hutchison (R) is re-elected over Gene Kelly (D)
Utah - Orrin Hatch (R) is re-elected over Scott Howell (D)
Vermont - Jim Jeffords (R) is re-elected over Ed Flanagan (D)
Virginia - George Allen (R) is elected over Chuck Robb (D)

Washington - Maria Cantwell (D) is elected over Slade Gordon (R)
West Virginia - Robert Byrd (D) is re-elected over David Gallaher (R)

Wisconsin - Herb Kohl (D) is re-elected over John Gillespie (R)
Wyoming - Craig Thomas (R) is re-elected over Mel Logan.

TOTAL SEATS
Republicans - 52
Democrats - 48
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2009, 07:37:02 AM »

Democrats still are going to lose a seat, occupied by Daschle, right?
GLPman
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2009, 09:47:55 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2009, 09:49:48 PM by GLPman »

Democrats still are going to lose a seat, occupied by Daschle, right?

Correct.

November 2000 (continued): For the next two days, all Americans talked about was the 2000 election results. Newspapers boldly announced Daschle's victory in the 2000 election. Governor Bush announced he would resume his governorship duties immediately.First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton's victory over Rick Lazio in New York meant that she would become the first First Lady to win public office.

On November 9th, President-Elect Daschle announces his transition team.

President Bill Clinton, whose approval ratings were at 61%, becomes the first sitting US President to visit Vietnam by traveling to the country on November 16th.

On November 20th, President-Elect Daschle resigns his Senate seat. John Thune (R) would later on take the seat.

December 2000: In Vermont, Vice President-Elect Howard Dean resigns from his Governor position. Lieutenant Doug Racine becomes Governor.

Vicente Fox of the National Action Party becomes the President of Mexico. President-Elect Daschle congratulates him on his entrance into office.

During the first week of December, Senator John Kerry is seen meeting with President-Elect Daschle in Washington, D.C. The meeting between the two men spurs speculation that Kerry might be a consideration for Secretary of State. On December 9th, Daschle announces that Senator Kerry would be his nominee for Secretary of State.

Approval rating polls on President-Elect Daschle show over 60% support:
NATIONWIDE POLL
Do you support President-Elect Daschle?
Yes: 63%
No: 27%
Undecided: 10%

On December 11th, President-Elect Daschle announces his nomination of Lawrence Summers, the current Secretary of the Treasury under Bill Clinton, to continue the Secretary of the Treasury post.

Daschle announces his nomination of Samuel "Sandy" Berger as Secretary of Defense on December 16th.

On a December 21st interview with Larry King, Bill Clinton explains he will miss being President and is quite confident that President-Elect Daschle will do an excellent job.

On December 22nd, Daschle announces his nominee for Attorney General is California Governor Gray Davis.

On December 31st, The Millennium Dome in London finally closes its doors. People around the world welcome another year in the 21st century.
New Years fireworks in Las Vegas

January 2001: One week in January, President-Elect Daschle launches a thirteen-state "tour" of public schools to introduce new details of his Education Reform Plan. The Education Reform Plan, Daschle explains, will be funded by a small increase in taxes on families with children in public schools. Surplus money will also be used. Republicans are quick to criticize the plan as "empty."

NATIONWIDE POLL
Do you support President-Elect Daschle?
Yes: 59%
No: 30%
Undecided: 11%

On January 10th, President-Elect Daschle announces that his nominee for Secretary of Labor is Elizabeth Dole, former Secretary of Labor under George H.W. Bush and wife of Bob Dole.

On January 12th, Daschle announces his selection of Carol Moseley Braun for Secretary of the Interior.

On January 20th, Thomas A. Daschle is sworn in the as the 43rd President of the United States of America. The Presidency of Thomas Daschle had begun.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies