The Atlasian Sentinel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:54:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Sentinel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30
Author Topic: The Atlasian Sentinel  (Read 63338 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2009, 01:39:46 PM »
« edited: June 21, 2009, 01:54:35 PM by Jas »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

^^^
Again, another series of tired, uncompetitive regional elections.
They haven't worked for years.

I don't like that there are so many safe seats in the Senate and I don't like systems which allow that to thrive.

Every PR-STV election so far has went down to the final minutes. Few candidates have been safe in those elections until late into balloting. By comparison, many of this weekend's races were effectively over before official polling began. -_-

Our senate race is competitive, so not all are boring. The Mideast's would've been had Persepolis not been Ogis. The Northeast's would've also been competitive if Smid endorsed Ronan, the candidate from his party. Something needs to be done about the Southeast and Pacific. I think we should redraw the regions, reduced them to five, and draw them so there are no safe elections.

Edit: What about senatorial term limits? This would not only cycle newbies into the system but also prevent uncompetitive elections.

Yes, the Midwestern race is competitive. That's 1 of 5. IMO, that's not good enough.
If you review the election results in regional (and district elections) for the past couple of years, you'll find that that's about average. (I'd also bear in mind that Fritz entered the race ostensibly for the purpose of having a proper election.)

I disagree with your analysis of the Mideastern and Northeastern elections. Given the declared candidates, neither race was ever likely to be competitive. Your analysis in the Northeast is, I think,  particularly wide of the mark as I'd suggest that Smid runs far ahead of his party there, as indeed he would in just about every region. Few other RPPers could get close to winning there.

On Senatorial term-limits, I would suggest that that would only exacerbate the problem of uncompetitive elections as you're simply reducing the likely number of competitors.

Thereis nothing you can do about the Southeast or Pacific - they are one party regions. The Pacific having been so for quite some time now; the Southeast having slowly seen its non-RPP membership scuttle off into anonymity. The idea that reducing the number of regions will solve anything seems to me to be flawed - it admits that the current set-up isn't working but presumes a small increase in population will revive activity. However, there is no relationship as things stand between the population of the various regions and their activity levels. The regions have failed both as a system of government and as a basis for allowing competitive elections to the Senate.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »

I agree with most of what Jas said, which is why I believe that the more important reform for the game is regional. There needs to be a change in the way the regions function to ensure that people actually care about having an active region.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »

Guys, regional Senate elections, as evidence by the ones currently happening, are boring and awful. Why do we want more of them again?

^^^
Again, another series of tired, uncompetitive regional elections.
They haven't worked for years.

I don't like that there are so many safe seats in the Senate and I don't like systems which allow that to thrive.

Every PR-STV election so far has went down to the final minutes. Few candidates have been safe in those elections until late into balloting. By comparison, many of this weekend's races were effectively over before official polling began. -_-

Our senate race is competitive, so not all are boring. The Mideast's would've been had Persepolis not been Ogis. The Northeast's would've also been competitive if Smid endorsed Ronan, the candidate from his party. Something needs to be done about the Southeast and Pacific. I think we should redraw the regions, reduced them to five, and draw them so there are no safe elections.

Edit: What about senatorial term limits? This would not only cycle newbies into the system but also prevent uncompetitive elections.

Yes, the Midwestern race is competitive. That's 1 of 5. IMO, that's not good enough.
If you review the election results in regional (and district elections) for the past couple of years, you'll find that that's about average. (I'd also bear in mind that Fritz entered the race ostensibly for the purpose of having a proper election.)

I disagree with your analysis of the Mideastern and Northeastern elections. Given the declared candidates, neither race was ever likely to be competitive. Your analysis in the Northeast is, I think,  particularly wide of the mark as I'd suggest that Smid runs far ahead of his party there, as indeed he would in just about every region. Few other RPPers could get close to winning there.

On Senatorial term-limits, I would suggest that that would only exacerbate the problem of uncompetitive elections as you're simply reducing the likely number of competitors.

Thereis nothing you can do about the Southeast or Pacific - they are one party regions. The Pacific having been so for quite some time now; the Southeast having slowly seen its non-RPP membership scuttle off into anonymity. The idea that reducing the number of regions will solve anything seems to me to be flawed - it admits that the current set-up isn't working but presumes a small increase in population will revive activity. However, there is no relationship as things stand between the population of the various regions and their activity levels. The regions have failed both as a system of government and as a basis for allowing competitive elections to the Senate.

I'm newer, so I wouldn't know that Smid was more electable.

Anyway, let's say we completely redrew the regions so that there were only three with roughly a 33:33:33 ratio of moderates, conservatives/libertarians, and liberals.

Besides, the only alternative to regions is a European-like system (which I personally hate the whole concept of a parliamentarian system, but that's another debate) as there wouldn't be enough positions for newbies in our current system without regionalism.

If we decrease the number of regions to 3, and perhaps decentralize our government so the regions have more power, than regional elections would matter more. For example, education should be more of a regional responsibility than a federal one as it is in real life.

Why does your "Old Senate" only have 9 members?

By the way, relating to the whole Constitution problem, I've offered a major Amendment for consideration by the Senate. Feel free to tear it apart. Seriously though, I invite you all to jump into the debate when MasterJedi opens up the thread in the Government board. You guys are allowed to post in those deliberations and this is an important Amendment (that you will all, hopefully, ge tot vote on).

He forgot one of the JCP Senators. It should be 4-3-3.

Indeed I did, fixed.

I confused the pre-Marokai senate numbers with the post-Marokai ones.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2009, 05:57:25 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 06:07:47 PM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

Regional Elections Update
By Vepres

As you may or may not know, two regions are having elections other than the senatorial elections. The Midwest has its race for the lieutenant governor, and the Southeast has two initiatives. One prohibits the use of cameras for the purpose of catching drivers breaking speed limits or traffic signals. The other removed speed limits for divided highways in rural areas. What constitutes rural and non-rural is up to the region's government. It would still allow officers to arrest people for reckless driving.

Current Tallies

Midwest Lt. Gov.
GMantis: 2
Vepres: 2
Randy Jones' Salad Bar: 2
ilikeverin: 1

Southeast Traffic Photo Enforcement Ban Initiative

Aye: 6
Nay: 0

Southeast Speed Limit Modification Act Initiative

Aye: 5
Nay: 1

Update: The Northeast voting booth has also opened. The current elections are governor and lieutenant governor. Nobody has voted, so no point in giving numbers.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »

I just want to publicize a constitutional amendment I have introduced in the Senate here. Because of the wide-scale changes this would create in our system of government, we really need to hear from all citizens before we pass anything on to a public referendum. Post in the thread and air your thoughts, suggestions, etc.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=97801.msg2042922#msg2042922

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The following shall be included in Article I as Section 2: The House, with subsequent sections renumbered accordingly:

Article I, Section 5 shall hereby be renumbered Section 4 and read as follows:

Article I, Section 4 shall hereby be renumbered Section 5 and read as follows:

All instances of the words "Senate" or "Senator(s)" in Article I, Sections 5 and 6 shall hereby read "Congress" or "Congressmen," respectively.

Article I, Section 8 is hereby removed.

Article IV shall hereby read as follows:
[/quote]
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »

I just want to publicize a constitutional amendment I have introduced in the Senate here. Because of the wide-scale changes this would create in our system of government, we really need to hear from all citizens before we pass anything on to a public referendum. Post in the thread and air your thoughts, suggestions, etc.

The following shall be included in Article I as Section 2: The House, with subsequent sections renumbered accordingly:

Article I, Section 5 shall hereby be renumbered Section 4 and read as follows:

Article I, Section 4 shall hereby be renumbered Section 5 and read as follows:

All instances of the words "Senate" or "Senator(s)" in Article I, Sections 5 and 6 shall hereby read "Congress" or "Congressmen," respectively.

Article I, Section 8 is hereby removed.

Article IV shall hereby read as follows:
[/quote]

If this passed, do you think the constitutional convention be shut down? I don't think we can support a twenty member congress. What if the house was 10 members? That would be more reasonable.

I like that regions can be redone, so a region like, say, the Pacific can be made more competitive.

The Sentinel (I) will be following and subsequently writing about the debate in the senate concerning this.

By the way, if anybody would like to write an opinion article about this amendment or anything else in Atlasia, feel free to ask me to put it in the Sentinel.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »

I support having a 10 member House. Maybe elected the 5 Senators based on Regions, and have a 10 member house elected based on STV (or better yet, MMP) with 2 month terms.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »

I support having a 10 member House. Maybe elected the 5 Senators based on Regions, and have a 10 member house elected based on STV (or better yet, MMP) with 2 month terms.

What's MMP?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »

The Convention is governed by the delegates. If a delegate was to bring a motion calling for the closure of the Convention, it would require the delegates to vote to close it down. However, I have long believed that the actions of the Convention should have no bearing on our actions in the Senate and regions. We should work to revamp the game as best we can until a new Constitution is ratified (if that even happens).

I wouldn't mind reducing the number in the House to 10 max, distributed evenly among the regions to the nearest whole number (so 5 regions would be two each, 4 regions 2 each, 3 regions 3 each, etc.). Feel free to offer your recommendations and ideas in the debate in the thread in the Senate. You are all allowed to post there and we want the input.

The STV Senate elections are the more exciting ones. I would rather retain those and allow the House to be more regional. This both prompts regions to create legislatures, but also gives regions the flexibility to decide how its legislators are chosen to represent them in the House.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2009, 06:32:08 PM »

The Convention is governed by the delegates. If a delegate was to bring a motion calling for the closure of the Convention, it would require the delegates to vote to close it down. However, I have long believed that the actions of the Convention should have no bearing on our actions in the Senate and regions. We should work to revamp the game as best we can until a new Constitution is ratified (if that even happens).

I wouldn't mind reducing the number in the House to 10 max, distributed evenly among the regions to the nearest whole number (so 5 regions would be two each, 4 regions 2 each, 3 regions 3 each, etc.). Feel free to offer your recommendations and ideas in the debate in the thread in the Senate. You are all allowed to post there and we want the input.

The STV Senate elections are the more exciting ones. I would rather retain those and allow the House to be more regional. This both prompts regions to create legislatures, but also gives regions the flexibility to decide how its legislators are chosen to represent them in the House.

I was just thinking that upper houses are usually more reflective of regional interests.

What's MMP?

Mixed Member PR. Actually, that's just stupid now that I think of it. A simple PR system would be better. The parties have lists, and we vote for the parties, or perhaps a candidate of the party we choose.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »

I was just thinking that upper houses are usually more reflective of regional interests.

Because of the nature and size of the game, the more prestigious house should be the one subject to national approval and a rigorous election process.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »

Because of the nature and size of the game, the more prestigious house should be the one subject to national approval and a rigorous election process.

It's not a big deal, really. I support your idea over what we have now.

I once had an idea for a 15 seat Senate where 5 seats would be by district, 5 seats by region and 5 seats by STV/PR. I miss the District days, only because re-districting was a fun part of the game, even though they were uncompetitive.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2009, 07:04:28 PM »

Thank you, but what thread are you referring to? This one, or the thread where the amendment is being debated?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2009, 07:06:42 PM »

Thank you, but what thread are you referring to? This one, or the thread where the amendment is being debated?

I think it would be best to ost your thoughts where the amendment is being debated to ensure that we keep everything as centralized in one thread as possible, but if you post it here I am likely to see it as well and pass it along to the Senate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2009, 07:06:50 PM »

I believe he means the link he posted at the end of the message. This is a newspaper, not a debating thread. Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »

I believe he means the link he posted at the end of the message. This is a newspaper, not a debating thread. Smiley

Though I am glad it is stimulating debate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2009, 07:14:41 PM »

My personal thoughts...(I'll write something up later probably and post it in the official thread for it)
It could potentially confuse a lot of people. I think we should allow plenty of time for people to understand it. I would recommend it taking effect on Jan. 1, 2010, so people won't have an excuse for being confused.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »

My personal thoughts...(I'll write something up later probably and post it in the official thread for it)
It could potentially confuse a lot of people. I think we should allow plenty of time for people to understand it. I would recommend it taking effect on Jan. 1, 2010, so people won't have an excuse for being confused.

Well, a public awareness campaign by the government as well as the Sentinel's coverage should be sufficient.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »

Well, a public awareness campaign by the government as well as the Sentinel's coverage should be sufficient.

I think a delay clause would be appropriate, possibly to the next presidential election, to ensure that people know what's going on and we allow the regional offices which are eliminated to serve out their terms. It would also give the regions time to reform their constitutions in anticipation of the offices they will likely want to fill.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2009, 07:40:57 PM »

I think a delay clause would be appropriate, possibly to the next presidential election, to ensure that people know what's going on and we allow the regional offices which are eliminated to serve out their terms. It would also give the regions time to reform their constitutions in anticipation of the offices they will likely want to fill.

I see a problem. If there is no regional legislature, will they get no representatives? Or will they be decided by public vote?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »

I see a problem. If there is no regional legislature, will they get no representatives? Or will they be decided by public vote?

Quite true, like the Northeast, whose Legislature has been inactive for over a year.  The Senate would have to address this.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2009, 07:48:09 PM »

That's the point. If a region were to wan representation they would need to create some form of legislature. I am not happy that it comes to this, but it is clear federal action is necessary to spur regional activity. It is for everyone's best. However, to account for this "infringement" on regional power, I give the regions the power to decide how their legislators are chosen to join the House (if they have 5 legislators and only 3 slots, they need a way to choose which 3).
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2009, 08:19:37 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 08:54:47 PM by Vepres »

The Atlasian Sentinel

School Standards Reform Bill Passed in Senate; Heads to the Pres.' Desk
By Vepres

Today, the School Standards Reform Bill passed in the senate with 5 ayes, 1 nay, and 2 abstains. The bill set federal standards for all public schools in Atlasia. The bill includes standards for classes that must be offered, mandatory physical education programs, and requires all public elementary schools to offer pre-k.

Among those to not vote for the bill was Senator HappyWarrior(DA-MD), who said, "I like the bill but I think it violates the powers of the regions." He voted abstain. The only senator to vote nay on the bill was Senator Marokai (JCP-AZ) who, when questioned as to why he voted nay, said,"The bill, I think, unfortunately falls victim to the idea that if we make kids work, we can make all children scientists, mathematicians, astronauts, historians, football players, and so on, rather than giving all kids a basic education in all subjects, and focusing on what kids are most proficient in."

The supporters of the bill cited the physical education requirements as a way to help combat Atlasia's obesity problems. Senator PiT(RPP-LA) pointed out that those who don't like the standards could go to private schools.

The bill was introduced by Senator PurpleState.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2009, 08:25:06 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 08:33:39 PM by Vepres »

I would like to request that everybody continue this debate in the official thread over in the government board. While I don't mind debate in this thread, I would like to move on from this topic and get back to reporting/commentating.

Edit: Here's the link.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »

I'm sorry, but why? There's no need for those changes, you can establish pretty much the same thing just by changing some elections and tacking 5 more seats to the Senate.

I have no intention of going along with unnecessary change or shuffling.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies