first presidential election you remember?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:42:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  first presidential election you remember?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: first presidential election you remember?  (Read 17945 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2004, 07:22:54 PM »
« edited: March 02, 2004, 07:23:06 PM by ilikeverin »

1992, when I remember sitting at the television and watching the three columns for Bush / Clinton / Perot, and remember seeing "0" next to Perot's name, and my parents being happy when Clinton won.

This is almost exactly how it was for me.  I remember asking my father why Perot has a zero in his column. He told me that he probably would end up with three maybe (he thought that maine would go to perot except of course for one of the congressional districts would go to clinton) . I remember my parents being happy when clinton won. I remember clinton's sea of blue with indiana as a red republican island in clinton's northeastern sea of blue. I was kinda embarassed to be living in the only state north of the ohio river and east of the mississippi that wasn't for clinton.

I'm from Indiana too, so I know how you feel Sad  I just live in MN now Undecided
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2004, 02:18:55 AM »

I remember the 1984 Election but I cant tell you to many details. I remember 88 and when Dukakis wore that helmet riding the tank. Anyone else remember that ad?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2004, 01:30:13 AM »

Man, some of you guys are making me feel REALLY old. I worked on the 1988 Election...I graduated college that spring and my first job was as a campaign staffer for the Bush campaign in upstate New York, and I did double duty by working on the campaign for Congressman James Walsh. When Walsh won, he offered me a job on his permanent staff in DC, so I moved there and did double duty working for the RNC in DC as well.
Don't feel too old.

I first remember the 1968 election. I even had Nixon written across one of my school folders. I should remember the '72 election, when I was in high school, but I only remember the aftermath in '73 and '74.

1976 was the first election that I publicly prepared a state-by-state electoral map on election eve. I recall that I had 41 states correct in what was then one of the tightest electoral contests of the century. I've prepared a map for every election since.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2004, 01:39:41 AM »

The 92 election is the first I remember.  I was for Bush because he was president.  96 was the first one I really cared about and I was for Dole because I didn't like Clinton and Dole was a war hero.  2000 was the first where I was really involved and really understood the issues.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2004, 01:59:23 AM »

I first remember 1992 and me being for Perot because he was the third party candidate and I thought that was cool. Most people in my 3rd grade class were for Clinton, but I think they were egged on by the teachers! Most people had the same opinion: all three of them sucked, but Clinton was the lesser of three evils. I also remember the TV debate where Perot's VP Admiral something gave a TERRIBLE performance, even worse than Dan Quayle.

I didn't really follow the 1996, and only followed 2000 by looking at the polls. Bush had the lead the entire year, except for maybe one or two days in October, and I never really expected Gore to win. Only after the fact did I realize how close Gore actually came to winning.
Bandit3 the Worker
bandit73
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2004, 09:29:01 PM »

The first one I remember was 1980. I remember that in elementary school the teachers had a habit of badmouthing any candidate who wasn't Reagan. I remember watching the election returns on TV, where they had the big map with red states for Reagan and blue states for Carter.

The first election I really took seriously was 1988. As in elementary school, the faculty at my high school adored the Republican Party. I was determined to make sure Bush was defeated, but with the media working in his favor, all my work went down the toilet.

What was especially embarrassing about 1988 was that Kentucky (along with Indiana) was the first state called for Bush.

It was certainly a case where historians will agree that the candidate who lost would have made a better President than the candidate who won.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »

1992 - I was in 4th grade.  I remember leading my lunch table in a rousing chorus of "Clinton/Gore out the door, Bush/Quayle kickin' tail!"
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2004, 11:23:16 AM »

The first I remember vaguely was 1988. I remember BBC news showing a picture of a celebrating Bush. The first one I saw 'in action' was 2000. The BBC had an entire night devoted to it, with our own 'master of graphics' Peter Snow showing the results. We kept the Dems Red, to match up with Labour. 1996 was great though. Our school 'clown' did a great John Major/ Bob Dole skit. This was the time when the Conservatives in the UK were heading towards meltdown, and the dour Dole and Major contrasted with the energetic Clinton and Blair.. Ah memories
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2004, 11:22:29 AM »

It was certainly a case where historians will agree that the candidate who lost would have made a better President than the candidate who won.

what historians say that?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2004, 11:47:47 AM »

Ones that are smoking whacky tabaccy
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »

what historians say that?

Bandit's a little weird.
MarkDel

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2004, 11:14:17 PM »

Gustaf,

Really??? That's like saying sometimes it gets a little chilly in Alaska...LOL
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2004, 11:06:17 AM »

Gustaf,

Really??? That's like saying sometimes it gets a little chilly in Alaska...LOL

Lol...I sometimes try to help out new members, not familiar with the, ahem, eccentric charactersitics of some of our older members... Wink
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2004, 11:02:29 PM »

I vaguely remember 1984. The first one I really followed was 1988, when I was 9 years old.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 07:00:56 PM »

The first election I can recall would likely be the '96 election. Before that I remember the '93 Federal election in Canada. For the '96 one I didn't really know much, all I know is that one mornging my father told me that "Slick Willy is still in office." The first one I really every paid attention to was Bush-Gore. I'm NDP, so I wasn't pleased with that at all, for anyone that know's Canadian politics you'll know why. Ah, memories....

Siege40
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2004, 10:27:55 PM »

Its wierd I can kind of remember a blur of the '88 elections Of course I didn't follow it too closely mainly because I was 2.... '92 I remember being disappointed that Bush lost and couldn't believe I'd be 10 by the next time the elections came around(I really wanted Clinton out lol!)... '96 I followed pretty closely... Then the 2000 elections I followed like a hawk! Same for this year if not closer.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2004, 10:56:17 PM »

Wow, that's pretty amazing if you actually remembered an election that took place when you were 2 years old. Most people can't remember anything before they are about 3. I sure don't remember the 1980 elections, when I was 2.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2004, 11:05:09 PM »

Wow, that's pretty amazing if you actually remembered an election that took place when you were 2 years old. Most people can't remember anything before they are about 3. I sure don't remember the 1980 elections, when I was 2.

Could just be another time when things were going good for Bush 41 I suppose all I remember is my parents saying "Bush won" or something may have been the '92 primaries... Though I never said I remembered it vividly and I would have almost been 3.... But still it doesn't matter that much now does it?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2004, 11:17:04 PM »

the first election that i actually looked at was clintons bid in 96
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2004, 01:31:48 AM »

(First post, Hello)

I remember the 1992 election, when I was in the 3rd grade. Bush won in our school election and the next day my class was disappointed since we thought Clinton would make us go to school year-round.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2004, 01:57:33 AM »

I remember on tv, Walter telling Maude, "I saw a Ford sticker on a Dodge, a Carter sticker on a Ford, and a Dole sticker on a banana."  That would have been the summer of 76, at the end of the third grade.  I also still have a huge green and white CARTER sign from then.  Before that I remember the word Nixon was a bad word, somehow.  Latent indoctrination, I guess.  I can remember the name johnson being bandied about by my bleedingheart folks as one of the nice guys.  gets pretty fuzzy though.  First one I seriously followed and kept a scrapbook that I still have is from 1980.  I pasted the cover of a TIME magazine on the front which had a cartoon Reagan and Carter playing cards, with big gold nuggets shaped like states in the pot.  Nobody knew how NY and CA would come down on one side for a generation, and TX and FL on the other.  Just 10 or so states were all you needed to win, and the biggest ones all seemed more or less up for grabs back then.  I also remember 1980 Libertarian candidate Anderson was into legalizing weed.

And welcome to you mhs2002.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2004, 12:10:14 PM »

Weclome MHS2002.

- MAS117
  Forum Atty. Gen.
Blerpiez
blerpiez

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2004, 04:49:18 PM »

I remember in 1996, I watched on TV for a while.  I wondered why two of the guys were getting all the votes.  In 2000, I convinced a bout 3 kids to vote for Nader.  Gore won my class election easily, about 30-13, with a few for Nader
zachman

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2004, 05:11:05 PM »

I hate our school mock elections. It is nearly impossible for any Democrat to win in our town. The only time a Democrat won was in the 1996 mock election when I was in 2nd grade. The entire school , which was K, 1st, and 2nd grades, could vote. My brother, who was in Kindergarten, voted for Ross Perot because he thought he was my parents choice.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2004, 09:07:31 PM »

OK, looks like I'm the only one here that goes back to the 60's.

I remember the 1960 Election, although only 8, my dad took me to a rally in New Haven where, atop his shoulders, I saw Kennedy, I don't remember anything else from that election.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies