DoD definition of "terrorists"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DoD definition of "terrorists"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DoD definition of "terrorists"  (Read 1112 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:35:08 PM »

Following up on Homeland Security department labeling of anyone who disagrees with Obama policies as a "right wing extremist," now non violent protestors are deemed by the DoD to be 'Terrorists."  From Salon:

JUNE 14, 2009 7:35PM
DoD Training Manual: Protests are "Low-Level Terrorism"

The Department of Defense is training all of its personnel in its current Antiterrorism and Force Protection Annual Refresher Training Course that political protest is "low-level terrorism."

The Training introduction reads as follows:

"Anti-terrorism (AT) and Force Protection (FP) are two facets of the Department of Defense (DoD) Mission Assurance Program. It is DoD policy, as found in DoDI 2000.16, that the DoD Components and the DoD elements and personnel shall be protected from terrorist acts through a high pirority, comprehensive, AT program. The DoD's AT program shall be all encompassing using an integrated systems approach."

The first question of the Terrorism Threat Factors, "Knowledge Check 1" section reads as follows:

Which of the following is an example of low-level terrorism activity?

Select the correct answer and then click Check Your Answer.

O   Attacking the Pentagon

O   IEDs

O   Hate crimes against racial groups

O   Protests

The "correct" answer is Protests.

A copy of this can be found on the last two pages of this pdf. 

The ACLU learned of this training and on June 10, 2009 sent a letter to the Gail McGinn, Acting Under-Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, objecting to their training all DoD personnel that the exercise of First Amendment rights constitutes "low-level terrorism." 

For those who have worried about a trend - evident, for example, in the USA PATRIOT Act, the universal and ongoing government surveillance of all of Americans' electronic communications that began in February of 2001 (seven months before 9/11), the global war on a tactic (terrorism), therefore making this war unending, the unprecedented pre-emptive arrests of protestors at the 2008 Republican National Convention with those protesters being charged as "domestic terrorists," the justifications for torture, pre-emptive wars of aggression, ongoing occupations, American gulags such as Bagram, suspension of habeas corpus, and "prolonged detention" for acts someone might commit, not what they have done, FBI et al infiltration of protest groups and the government's acknowledged use of undercover agents (agents provocateurs) in said infiltration, thus giving the government under the rubric of fighting domestic terrorism unrestrained and unsupervisable power to suppress legitimate political activities, the unleashing and justifications for Christian fascists to murder those they do not like (such as the assassination of Dr. George Tiller and the killing at the Holocaust Museum a few days ago) - this news adds further fuel to the fire.

These are not items from some famously vilified, non-US dictatorial regime. These are items from the good ole USA, land of the free and home of the brave.

Just how brave are we now? How free are we still? Are we brave enough to be "winter soldiers" and stand up against these fascist moves? Or will we go down in history in infamy, the way the "Good Germans" of the 1930s and 1940s did? 

War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:50:09 PM »

Cool story bro.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »

That's a very disturbing development. If people who protest can be branded "low-level terrorists", what hope is there for freedom of speech?
Four49
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.42, S: -8.09

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:58:56 PM »

That's a very disturbing development. If people who protest can be branded "low-level terrorists", what hope is there for freedom of speech?

Free speech will be alive and well.  Protestors will be allowed to bitch about it all they want during their preventive detention.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:03:35 AM »

This is bullsh**t. Land of the free my ass. None of this would've been possible if the politicians we elected to office truly represented the will of the people and not that of special interest groups.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:08:48 AM »

In order to convince the public that they need to pay attention, we would have to accuse the training program of having an affair. I'm only half joking.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 12:09:37 AM »

I went to salon and this article doesn't exist. Nice try, Carl.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 12:12:14 AM »

Is this it?

http://open.salon.com/blog/dennis_loo/2009/06/14/dod_training_manual_protests_are_low-level_terrorism
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:12:59 AM »

I went to salon and this article doesn't exist. Nice try, Carl.

Try this link...

http://open.salon.com/blog/dennis_loo/2009/06/14/dod_training_manual_protests_are_low-level_terrorism?ref=patrick.net
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 12:17:43 AM »

My problem is that I have no proof that the Terrorism Threat Factors question even exists. I have this feeling that the answer could have been a misprint too. Hate crimes against a racial group fits the bill perfectly for low level terrorism and I see no reason why protesting would be a correct answer in a test over it.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:41 AM »

My problem is that I have no proof that the Terrorism Threat Factors question even exists. I have this feeling that the answer could have been a misprint too. Hate crimes against a racial group fits the bill perfectly for low level terrorism and I see no reason why protesting would be a correct answer in a test over it.

First, can I take it that you were able to find the article I cited, and no longer alledge that I made it up?

Second, if the answer to the first point is in the affirmative, I don't seem to have seen an apology for the implication that I had made up the posting.

Third, if you want to take issue with the veracity of Salon, be my guest.  Its not exactly a publication on the right of the political spectrum.

Fourth, don't you think if this is a "misprint," as you "feel," that DoD would be eager to correct it in public?  Hmm.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »

This is bullsh**t. Land of the free my ass. None of this would've been possible if the politicians we elected to office truly represented the will of the people and not that of special interest groups.

Obviously our freedoms were much more under threat with Bush in charge.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »

How long before Comrade Obama starts sending all the born again Christians to re-education camps?  Or will he just exterminate them outright?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »

How long before Comrade Obama starts sending all the born again Christians to re-education camps?  Or will he just exterminate them outright?

But all this crap started long before he came along?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »

But all this crap started long before he came along?

I'm just trying to nip it in the bud, GM.  Cause you know what Coburn and the other nutters are gonna say...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 10:45:25 PM »

So, since I disagree with some of Obama's policies, I'm a right-wing extremist? That's nice to know.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 12:01:37 AM »

So, since I disagree with some of Obama's policies, I'm a right-wing extremist? That's nice to know.

If you protest those policy differences, according to DoD, you're a "terrorist."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies