Redistricting Minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:28:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Redistricting Minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Redistricting Minnesota  (Read 2174 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »

Another redistricting map from Swing State Project. It's based upon the assumption that the state will lose one seat after the 2010 census.

http://www.swingstateproject.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=5BF25396874DFC24D4DB2ABE3DBCE1DA?diaryId=5074

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 12:56:19 AM »

This puts me in Paulsen's district. YUCK. I like who is removed but there are better ways to do it.

Also why is everyone so intent on stretching out MN-1 to the southern suburbs?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:12:13 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2009, 04:13:59 AM by Mr and Mrs Lewis Trondheim lead a model domestic life »

We've had several threads on redistricting Minnesota by now. We didn't need another one - you could have bumped one of the old ones.

Besides, this is a horrible map that would probably not pass - I doubt anything dismantling the MN and St Paul districts could, even if meant to benefit Democrats.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:06:54 PM »

Besides, this is a horrible map that would probably not pass - I doubt anything dismantling the MN and St Paul districts could, even if meant to benefit Democrats.

Correct.
RBH

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 01:09:42 PM »

I think I have a map from DRA that puts Kline and Bachmann in the same district
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:13:06 PM »

Putting Bachmann in the same district as another rep isn't really much of an issue, her home would likely end up in McCollum's district under a "fair" map (aka one not targeting her) anyway. The key is dismantling her district so she just can't move to Elk River and win the primary. Giving MN-02 all of Washington County won't do that on its own (though it may be a start.)

If your only priority is eliminating Bachmann, then one should probably be thankful Paulsen won, as it would've been pretty difficult to draw a map both protecting Madia and eliminating Bachmann (It would require something crazy like the proposed map really.)
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »

We've had several threads on redistricting Minnesota by now. We didn't need another one - you could have bumped one of the old ones.

This is a great observation, and I would add another. The original post is occurring without any comment or analysis by the originator. We all know that swing state is working their way through the states and can find the link ourselves. This forum has also criticized other posters across the political spectrum for merely cross posting text from other well-tracked sources without adding to it themselves, and Lewis is on target to fault this type of origination.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »

This is a great observation, and I would add another. The original post is occurring without any comment or analysis by the originator. We all know that swing state is working their way through the states and can find the link ourselves. This forum has also criticized other posters across the political spectrum for merely cross posting text from other well-tracked sources without adding to it themselves, and Lewis is on target to fault this type of origination.

Well, of course I could comment on the map I posted. There is just one tiny problem.
I have no effing idea about Minnesota, Pennsylvania, or any other state's cities, neiboghrohoods and precincts, and how should they be divided. And I have a personal policy: avoid talking about things you have no clue.

I just post these maps to start a conversation where those with intimate knowledge of the respective states and their politics will express their opinions. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:46:20 AM »

Alternatively, we could have a monster  SPP redistrictings thread. Smiley
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »

Alternatively, we could have a monster  SPP redistrictings thread. Smiley

I just suggested this on the other thread on this board. A big SWP thread does make sense just like some of the big tracking poll threads we did during 2008.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies