"Third Party" Coverage on TV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:49:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  "Third Party" Coverage on TV
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Third Party" Coverage on TV  (Read 2708 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2004, 07:51:49 AM »

This was from the Constitution Party's website:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unfortunately, I was out of the area when it aired.  You might want to check your local listings to see if by chance it is being shown in your area.  I'm sure it would have been an interesting program to watch.

MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 07:58:50 AM »

Thanks Fed.  Good heads-up.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 08:03:24 AM »

Just what was posted last week announcing it.  There is nothing on the Constitution Party's website (surfing it as we speek) regarding it.  I'll check the Libertarian one soon enough.
Light Touch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 09:39:52 AM »

The Libertarian site (www.lp.org) has a link to the Cornell debate.  I haven't checked it out yet.

Crashing the Parties 2004 was pretty good.  It disappointed me that they spent more time on Gary Nolan than on Badnarik, tho.

Peroutka came out looking like a nice guy, but a little crazy.  Badnarik, a real candidate, the underdog.  Nader looked like a prick; Cobb looked like a really nice guy you wouldn't want running the express line at WalMart, much less the country.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 10:12:48 AM »

Reading some of these articles I seem to believe that these "third parties" are just pawns being played by the left the sink Bush. I mean their whole strategy isn't even to win. Its to tilt the EC to one side or another. Sometimes I wonder if these folks aren't being paid off by the Republicans or Democrats.
Light Touch

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 10:52:40 AM »

Reading some of these articles I seem to believe that these "third parties" are just pawns being played by the left the sink Bush. I mean their whole strategy isn't even to win. Its to tilt the EC to one side or another. Sometimes I wonder if these folks aren't being paid off by the Republicans or Democrats.

The Libertarians don't even take government money, generally -- it's not money with us, it's the principle of freedom to make money on our own.  Cheesy

That said, the 3rd parties are played a bit by the big two, to injure the other major candidate, where possible.  That's fine, they can help us out, it just betters us for the future.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 01:41:43 PM »

The third parties should get a joint petition going to get included in the 2008 debates. A lot of people would sign.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 02:50:26 PM »

As long as there are 4 third party candidates diluting each others influence, they will remain invisible to the public.  If they could unite behind a single ticket, with a set of common policies, that would be news and maybe they could crash the debates, like Anderson in 1980 or Perot in 1992.

But I don't see it happening.

Another way to achieve visibility is to spend the next 4 years and raise $100 Million (maybe $50 million would do)  to be taken seriously.

The final way is the hardest: Build an organization, win locally, then statewide , then move to the national scene. If  I wanted to build a third party I’d go to a state like Maine with publically financed elections and run candidates in every legislative district until some won, then build from there.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 06:24:45 PM »

Don't both Libertarians and Constitutionalists support states' rights, though?

Mostly they just have to agree on foreign policy, lowering the federal tax burden, etc.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 06:36:24 PM »

Abortion, the war on drugs, and censorship are all non-federal matters though.

For example, a Libertarian would not support a bogus SC ruling like Roe vs. Wade or making drug use legal throughout the land. They'd support abortion maybe, but they wouldn't try to impose it at a federal level.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 12:08:30 PM »

Abortion, the war on drugs, and censorship are all non-federal matters though.

Tell that to Congress, the Administration and the U. S. Supreme Court.

The Federal government doesn't believe in the constitution as it was written.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies